Match Preview: Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Match Preview: Hull KR

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:13 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:49 am
Firestarter wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:41 am
Me neither barney…… i dont get the hype at all
Thought it was just me glad I’m not alone with the bemusement with the hype regarding Byrne
What hype?, it's not like anybody is going over the top like they did with other players ie Rocky Hampshire
Meaning saying hes a good un…. Im yet to see this but theres not just him…… he looked bad yesterday
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Scratchy performance, but it's round 1 and plenty of time to work on things. Ideally we'll build to a 10match winning run going into the playoffs, the first 10 rounds just need to be average. They do have to sort that right side defence though.

Saints looked good apparently, but yours expect that wouldn't you, going into a world club challenge as your first competitive match is rather different to going into round 1 of 27 or whatever is is this season. I'd like to hold off my comparisons until somewhat further through the year TBH.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:10 pm Scratchy performance, but it's round 1 and plenty of time to work on things. Ideally we'll build to a 10match winning run going into the playoffs, the first 10 rounds just need to be average. They do have to sort that right side defence though.

Saints looked good apparently, but yours expect that wouldn't you, going into a world club challenge as your first competitive match is rather different to going into round 1 of 27 or whatever is is this season. I'd like to hold off my comparisons until somewhat further through the year TBH.
A breath of common sense
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
catman

Undercooked

Post by catman »

I realise that championships are won in October not February but judging by the performance yesterday we are massively underprepared for the new season.
We looked sluggish and made lots of handling errors nowhere near the level required to win a super league game away from home. As soon as the fixtures were published and Wigan knew they faced a potential banana skin like Hull KR away we should have put in a few tough pre season friendliest so that we could have hit the ground running.
Now we are playing catch up. We have the ability to win this league but already we are making it more difficult for ourselves by lack of foresight.
Bobby-WRL

Re: Undercooked

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Agree with you on most points but coming 1st isn’t important to be fair.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

We do not have the team to win the league ( finish first ). Every year we drop points to poor teams away in Yorkshire. Leeds wakey hull ect. Saints will not lose more than a handful of games in a year. When u have a pack that’s in a arm wrestle every week it’s impossible to be near perfect over a full season. Until the club invest in world class props we will not see a LLS for years
catman

Post by catman »

I disagree we are the fastest team in the league and when the dry pitches and hot weather arrives we can put any team Saints included to the sword. What we lack are the dominating forwards and clutch players needed to win games when the chips are down.
What annoys me is that I know this, you know this, the club has a massive chunk of salary cap free why don’t they do something about it?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

catman wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:39 pm I disagree we are the fastest team in the league and when the dry pitches and hot weather arrives we can put any team Saints included to the sword. What we lack are the dominating forwards and clutch players needed to win games when the chips are down.
What annoys me is that I know this, you know this, the club has a massive chunk of salary cap free why don’t they do something about it?
The other question is why are we recruiting overseas players that are sat in the stand? Quality not quantity required. I think you will see a significant turnover of our overseas boys in 2024.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dreamteam wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm We do not have the team to win the league ( finish first ). Every year we drop points to poor teams away in Yorkshire. Leeds wakey hull ect. Saints will not lose more than a handful of games in a year. When u have a pack that’s in a arm wrestle every week it’s impossible to be near perfect over a full season. Until the club invest in world class props we will not see a LLS for years
They lost 6 last year. One more than a handful.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i watched the game yesterday evening after having a read on the forum on Saturday and yesterday morning

i dont get all the doom and gloom

1st game of the season at a ground that we dont have a fantastic record and should have been best part of 16-6 up (although HKR couldnt kick goals in the 2nd half)

Discipline needs to be sorted, although Mikey Lewis appeared to be able to get away with anything and not get penalised at all.

There was some good stuff on show, but equally there was some scratchy stuff, which shows the lack of actual game time together, and that will come as we play games week in / week out

i dont think we'll see both French and Field so quiet in a game for the rest of the season either, but the promising signs were that both looked fit and rapid

overall, disappointed to lose, but i feel that after most losses anyway, but not the end of the world