Hull FC forward banned, Welsby learns fate, Wigan Warriors, Leeds Rhinos & Leigh Leopards men charged

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Hull FC forward banned, Welsby learns fate, Wigan Warriors, Leeds Rhinos & Leigh Leopards men charged

Post by josie andrews »

FOLLOWING the latest round of Betfred Super League fixtures, the Match Review Panel have issued the following sanctions:

Scott Taylor has been banned for one game following a Grade C Dangerous Contact charge, but the Hull FC forward is the only man to be suspended following the weekend action.

St Helens fullback Jack Welsby has been charged with a Grade A High Tackle for the incident which led to Castleford Tigers being awarded a penalty try. Saints boss Paul Wellens did feel that a penalty try was “sufficient” punishment after the game.

Meanwhile, Wakefield Trinity winger Jorge Taufua, Wigan Warriors forward Liam Farrell and Leigh Leopards’ Joe Wardle have all been given Grade B charges and a £250 fine.

Leeds Rhinos halfback Blake Austin was also charged with a Grade A Dangerous Contact but hasn’t been banned.

Therefore, only Taylor will miss round three of Super League.

https://www.totalrl.com/hull-fc-forward ... n-charged/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Hull FC forward banned, Welsby learns fate, Wigan Warriors, Leeds Rhinos & Leigh Leopards men charged

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:11 pm FOLLOWING the latest round of Betfred Super League fixtures, the Match Review Panel have issued the following sanctions:

Scott Taylor has been banned for one game following a Grade C Dangerous Contact charge, but the Hull FC forward is the only man to be suspended following the weekend action.

St Helens fullback Jack Welsby has been charged with a Grade A High Tackle for the incident which led to Castleford Tigers being awarded a penalty try. Saints boss Paul Wellens did feel that a penalty try was “sufficient” punishment after the game.

Meanwhile, Wakefield Trinity winger Jorge Taufua, Wigan Warriors forward Liam Farrell and Leigh Leopards’ Joe Wardle have all been given Grade B charges and a £250 fine.

Leeds Rhinos halfback Blake Austin was also charged with a Grade A Dangerous Contact but hasn’t been banned.

Therefore, only Taylor will miss round three of Super League.

https://www.totalrl.com/hull-fc-forward ... n-charged/
i know the conversation has started in the Cas v Saints thread, but thought i'd carry it on in this one as its relates to the disciplinary

so 2 Saints players have hit high in 2 games (Roby v Penrith and Welsby v Cas). Neither found serious enough to warrant a ban

is this a serious downgrading of high shots from the disciplinary based on everything seemed to get banned last year or an error of judgement from the panel given the focus on high shots / concussions / long term effects of head shots etc etc

this isnt about me complaining that 2 Saints players have gotten away with high shots in 2 weeks and no bans, but more questioning whether the disciplinary panel have softened their view on things (certainly over last year) where, as i said above, you got banned for looking at an opposition player the wrong way

For my personal opinion i think the Roby one should have picked up a ban, but Welsby either sending off / penalty try sufficient. Didnt appear to be too much aggression, got stepped and reacted.

However, based on that, will all other high shots where player x gets stepped and sticks out an arm, now be considered worthy of a ban or all Grade A?
butchbulldog

Re: Hull FC forward banned, Welsby learns fate, Wigan Warriors, Leeds Rhinos & Leigh Leopards men charged

Post by butchbulldog »

Thought both would have got a ban, personally thought Welsbys was the worst.