King: Really Good Culture

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

King: Really Good Culture

Post by josie andrews »

Toby King spoke this week ahead of Thursday’s clash at home to Catalans Dragons

King: “You can tell it’s a really proud club and with the fans and the community work done here, its one, it feels really connected.”

The centre scored his first try in Cherry and White against Castleford on Friday

Toby King says this Thursday’s game against Catalans Dragons will be different challenge from last week, following a 36-0 victory over Castleford Tigers on Friday.

King got himself on the score sheet for the first time in Wigan colours on 72 minutes, with Jai Field, Ethan Havard and a Liam Marshall hat-trick helping Warriors to consecutive Super League victories.

“It was a really good win for us, especially at Castleford as it’s a tough place to go.” he said

“A lot of teams go there and struggle, they’re a really good attacking side with Joe Westerman and others in the middle, they play some really good rugby. The mood’s really good in camp. After Round 1 I think we’ve bounced back quite a bit with the back-to-back nils. I think we’ll be looking forward to this week where it’ll be a whole different challenge with Catalans.”

On his try, King said: “It was all down to Harry! A nice little tip on from him and through the line from the scrum play. It was really nice to celebrate in front of the away fans who came down the M62 to a tough place to go on a Friday night. It was class and hopefully the first of many.”

Warriors had to show defensive resolve throughout the match, having to defend their own try line for a large period of the first half and managing to keep the hosts at bay to secure back-to-back nils, following on from their 60-0 victory at home to Wakefield.

“I think it was a tough first half, they tested our line a lot really and we had to show a lot of grit.” King said

“With Lockers, Matty and Tommy, they’ve really been big on our goal line defence and stuff like that, so it was disappointing in Round 1 when we let ourselves down, we knew we were better than that.

“To see it come in now, it’s really good. I think we’re a very fit team, we love to have that pressure put on us and to keep turning teams away. I think the coaches have been class at that.”

Having only signed in the off-season on a season-long loan from Warrington Wolves, King is one of three new additions to the squad from last year as Warriors look to build on Challenge Cup success against his old side Huddersfield Giants.

He said: “I’m really enjoying it. We’ve been building a good rapport up on that right-edge. Disappointed with the first round but I think from there we’ll be sweet this year and I look forward to continue building relationships with the squad.

“There’s a really good culture here, you can tell why it’s such a successful club. You walk round the place and the players and everyone really buy into it. You can tell it’s a really proud club and with the fans and the community work done here, its one, it feels really connected.”

Thursday’s opponents Catalans Dragons come into the fixture unbeaten so far in the Super League, with three wins on the bounce against Wakefield, Leigh and Hull FC. But King says Catalans’ good start isn’t something that Warriors will be concentrating on too much.

“We’ll be focusing on us. We know what we need to do and if we do it we’ll be fine. It’s a tough test but we’ve got a really good group here and we’re all excited.

“Our home record is good and our fans make it a really good atmosphere and a tough place to come, so hopefully we can get the win.”

DON’T MISS! WARRIORS V DRAGONS at the DW Stadium, Thursday 9th March. 2023 Season Ticket holders bring a friend along, FOR FREE! Claim HERE before Wednesday 8th March.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/03/ ... d-culture/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: King: Really Good Culture

Post by medlocke »

From what I've seen so far he looks decent, way better than Gilly
craigo

Post by craigo »

I rate him. Did so before he joined us.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Think he has had a very good start to his Wigan career.

He has got 2 reads wrong in defence which to be fair he needs to get right moving forward, but other than that he has been our most effective back in regards general play.

His work ethic is second to non.

I think the more he plays the more the others will start to play off his unorthodox offloading game.

So far very pleased with him.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Jonh wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:07 am Think he has had a very good start to his Wigan career.

He has got 2 reads wrong in defence which to be fair he needs to get right moving forward, but other than that he has been our most effective back in regards general play.

His work ethic is second to non.

I think the more he plays the more the others will start to play off his unorthodox offloading game.

So far very pleased with him.
As you say John let’s give him time. He’s not blessed with pace so he needs to use his other attributes effectively and it goes without saying give French some quality ball.