Team for Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: Team for Saints

Post by Suzieb »

I feel that Astley is another quality player give him his chance
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:43 am
morley pie eater wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:23 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:02 pm I think it makes sense to stick with the experienced players and not throw in a youngster unless we're in a position where we're putting too many square pegs in round holes.

Amongst all the conjecture ,ifs and buts etc I noted Eagle Eyes interesting analogy ,as is my want and questioned wHy a square peg withthe same volume has a round peg can't logically fit or mathematically fit into the the same hole as the other thus rendering the analogy void. ? :lol: :lol:
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Irrespective of views on Powell's virtues (or otherwise) it doesn't say much for our overall strength if we have to play a hooker in the halves who moved to hooker originally because he wasn't seen to be of Wigan standard in the halves.
All teams get injuries so, all teams, if they really want to be successful, should have clear ideas on replacements.
I suppose the real question is how many of our young players can realistically expect to move up into the first team.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Bit unlucky to lose Cust Field and potentially Marshy and maybe Wardle for this week. The last two or one of may make the team but losing your 6 and your cover for six leaves any team struggling. Take Lomax and Welsby out of Saints or Williams and Dufty out of Wire as examples.
I do hope Marshy and Wardle play as it makes a huge difference King can go back to centre keep Miski on the wing who deserves his place after the Leigh
Game.
I'm of mind set Powell as to go half for this one and O'niel to hooker.
Bev
Marshy
King
Wardle
Miski
Powell
Smith
Byrne
Brad
Cooper
Isa
Faz
Morgan
Havard
Ellis
KPP
Shorrocks
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Put "trying to" then analogy ok
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:26 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:22 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:03 pm

I can see no other choice but Powell. O’Neill can do 80 mins.
There is a choice IMO and that’s to play a halfback in the halves and that means putting Astley at 6. I don’t buy in to intense games being too risky to throw kids in, I actually think they’re pretty good games to give them a shot. All 34 players on the day are totally switched on and the senior players around Astley would take pride in helping him through. If the lad is considered a halfback, considered worthy of a first team squad number and they think he has a future here, they should give him the shirt IMO.

I look at Powell and he isn’t a halfback. He played there as a junior but he’s even slower now than he was then, his running game is non existent and you’re doing no more then sticking a decent defender in there to avoid any risk. Peet has done a really good job so far but his reluctance to give the young lads a chance surprises me, especially when you consider his academy background. The only debuts he’s given (or 2nd/3rd appearances) have been in games where he’s rested 10+ players.
Maybe with Peets background with these lads we should give him a bit of trust on knowing if they are ready to step up.

His given O'Neil a fair chunk of game time so far.

While I agree youth have to be put into the squad we are still coming together as a team at the moment and this isn't the time. Smith was shoved in to early due to necessity and he was ripped to shreds in the first season.
He learned far quicker than if he had been in the reserves. We have had some lads going on an Australian tour at 18. Age is no barrier if you are good enough.
Charriots Offiah

archiekeith wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:40 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:04 pm
archiekeith wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:43 pm
Yes and if memory serves kept young Ashton out of the team after faultlessly standing in for him when Rads was injured. Ridiculous. He went to Union shortly after. I wonder why? Josie you'll know
Ashton wasn’t around then, he made his debut in 2005, when we were awful (but somehow got even worse the following year). Ashton went to Union for the same reason they all do (££££). He was fullback in 2006 IIRC, when Rads came out of retirement but Rads played centre.

Rads had an insect bite that had become infected in the week leading up to the final and had to have it cut and the infection drained out on the morning of the game. I don’t think he missed many (if any actually) games in the run up to the final. It was an issue that came out of nowhere.
Thanks for that Nicky. Best move he probably made. I'm told he's worth 2 to 6 million now
He still comes to the DW.
Charriots Offiah

Suzieb wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:57 am I feel that Astley is another quality player give him his chance
We need to see if he can crack it as there is a another young lad going to be pushing him soon.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

If it were the play offs or grand final I’d play safe, but it’s not it’s a home game and he’ll learn more from a tough game against them than a rout against some weaker team , we’ve got to show some confidence in these young lads
Charriots Offiah

Thornley not playing for Barrow today hmm