Team for Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Team for Saints

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:48 am We defo need start astly which could be a masterstroke if he plays well( and sers him up for the rest if the season)….. also shorroks at loose which is a no brainer…… miski on one wing and hopefully marshy is fit…… i think the rest sort of speaks for itself
Putting Astley in is a risk but maybe worth taking and it will help development, a few are saying that our squad is not the best but it can be excellent if we bring our prospects into the first team over the season.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:10 am
Firestarter wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:48 am We defo need start astly which could be a masterstroke if he plays well( and sers him up for the rest if the season)….. also shorroks at loose which is a no brainer…… miski on one wing and hopefully marshy is fit…… i think the rest sort of speaks for itself
Putting Astley in is a risk but maybe worth taking and it will help development, a few are saying that our squad is not the best but it can be excellent if we bring our prospects into the first team over the season.
Astley is nowhere near ready for 1st team rugby at Wigan, he's not really been impressive out on loan. I think by next season Jack Farrimond will have overtaken him.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

What’s the risk? It’s just a regular season game with no consequences if we lose.

I’d love to win but not like a playoff game or cup semi final.

Throw the kid in, look after him in defence and hope he steps up.

We’ll be needed this half back combo for the next 6 weeks or so and I’d feel more comfortable with 2 half backs in the halves ideally.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:19 pm Obviously your not there when they train so you should not question everyone’s comments
Well here again at Robin Park & only player here is Willie Isa!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

😄😄😄😄😄
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

Peet seems happy with the Powell / O’Neill pivot at the minute and it’s the most used combo this season.

With the injury to Field I genuinely can’t seen him changing the hooker combo for such a big game especially with Roby being the opposite 9.

As I said earlier in this thread Powell at 6 is the obvious choice but he could nullify Smiths game.

With that in mind I’ve got a feeling he’s going to plump for Shorrocks at 6 who he played there when he was academy coach and with his defensive skills it would make sense to try & nullify Dodd / Lomax and let Smith continue being the chief organiser at 7.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The Pearl1 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:28 am
What’s the risk? It’s just a regular season game with no consequences if we lose.

We’ll be needed this half back combo for the next 6 weeks or so and I’d feel more comfortable with 2 half backs in the halves ideally.
The risk is coming into a depleted team in a derby game against the best team in the league who will target him relentlessly and he has an absolute shocker. It could destroy his confidence in such a exposed game.

I agree he should be blooded in but thats what an away game at wakefield or Cas could do. Give the poor lad a chance to get a bit of momentum. Wire would be a better game to take risks

Those on here know im no fan of Powell but i think looking at what we have available at the moment him in the halves gives us the best chance of getting a result at Saints
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

I would have gone with Astely too, my issue with Powell there is that he poses not real threat as a half and therefore sliding defences will easily be able to cover across the line to snuf out any wider threat.
It will take an outstanding effort from Smith for us to really trouble Saints, we have shown in the past we can hold our own in defense but we are not going to be able to defend the whole game out, we need to score points and unfortunately can only see them coming from something that Smith creates or an individual effort from French
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:12 am
Astley is nowhere near ready for 1st team rugby at Wigan, he's not really been impressive out on loan. I think by next season Jack Farrimond will have overtaken him.
I agree, I think that Farrimond is being fast tracked.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:14 am
The Pearl1 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:28 am

The risk is coming into a depleted team in a derby game against the best team in the league who will target him relentlessly and he has an absolute shocker. It could destroy his confidence in such a exposed game.

I agree he should be blooded in but thats what an away game at wakefield or Cas could do. Give the poor lad a chance to get a bit of momentum. Wire would be a better game to take risks

Those on here know im no fan of Powell but i think looking at what we have available at the moment him in the halves gives us the best chance of getting a result at Saints
Why in your opinion is Warrington the better game to take risks? Genuinely interested as I’d say they are top for good reason, massive improvement in them this year.