Wigan V Leeds 12/05/23

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bob the Builder

Re: Wigan V Leeds 12/05/23

Post by Bob the Builder »

The only plus tonight is that Leeds leapfrogged Stains into 8th position 🤣🤣
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Words fail me for that "performance"
And i use the term lightly

Oh here's a few crap,inept,uninterested

They should be utterly ashamed of themselves
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:56 pm Pathetic performance at home. Totally unacceptable. Undone the good work of beating Saints and Wire.

As to we were bound to lose one of the two games v Leeds that is nonsense. Leeds are not a good side and we should have no problem beating them twice and we should also have beaten Hull if we are supposed to be a top team.

Can a Peet turn it round for next week? I am not so sure. If French and Field are in the side and giving the ball to them doesn’t work I don’t think he has a plan B.
Agreed.

To be pinning hopes on a huge turnaround on Hampshire is a long shot truth is as you no Field,Marshall then there's not much else on offer next week is going to be a huge test for Peet.
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

I could be over reacting here, but this team is reminiscent of some poor earlier Wigan teams ( thinking, for example, of George Fairbairns one man efforts to keep Wigan going). Like others of my age group, I was spoiled by watching the great Wigan teams of yore, but the current team seems a group of journeymen with only two absolutely top class players, obviously French and Field. I’m well aware that we can’t just go out and buy success but we we seem to recruit poorly, and fail to develop young prospects.
The team did so well last year to win the Challenge cup, but I really believe that most of our current players aren’t anywhere near what I would describe as Wigan standard.
I’d love to be wrong and see us win the double, but I don’t have much confidence in that happening.
Sadly, I can’t suggest a solution that doesn’t involve a major restructure.
Somebody cheer me up please!
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Definitely missing Lee Briers, clueless in attack again, just like watching the Lam team again.
Completely shocking performance, Leeds had far more commitment and their offloads killed us, when it should have been us doing it with a man up.
Not sure how we improve in attack.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Euclid wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:28 pm I could be over reacting here, but this team is reminiscent of some poor earlier Wigan teams ( thinking, for example, of George Fairbairns one man efforts to keep Wigan going). Like others of my age group, I was spoiled by watching the great Wigan teams of yore, but the current team seems a group of journeymen with only two absolutely top class players, obviously French and Field. I’m well aware that we can’t just go out and buy success but we we seem to recruit poorly, and fail to develop young prospects.
The team did so well last year to win the Challenge cup, but I really believe that most of our current players aren’t anywhere near what I would describe as Wigan standard.
I’d love to be wrong and see us win the double, but I don’t have much confidence in that happening.
Sadly, I can’t suggest a solution that doesn’t involve a major restructure.
Somebody cheer me up please!
I think you are right but we will not get a restructure. I just have the impression everyone is too pally at Wigan. The coach doesn’t need to be mates with the players (the great John Monie definitely wasn’t) and those running the club don’t need to be mates with the coach either. If they are it just makes it hard to be ruthless and make the tough decisions to replace those not good enough be that players or coach.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I saw Mago belly laughing with the Leeds players just disgusting behaviour after the loss . Time to off load him & Cust who is useless as well but to be honest I posted last week I could see this coming sadly.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Let’s be honest the way that SL is we’re all waiting for the playoffs. The CC is a nice bonus but this club does not have the personal to allow for a consistent team for a full season. Mainly due to poor management and awful recruitment. I look forward to hopefully finishing outside the top 2 so we can get an interesting away day away from the soulless DW
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

jackthelad wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:13 pm Well well well, so poor its unbelievable

Recent posts talk about our new and improved 3/4 line, great centres and wingers etc... never had any attack to utilise any of them

One man boring sh1te rugby, quite pathetic that performance

Mago belly laughing after the game with a Leeds player, not arsed about being turned over at home, really!! Unbelievable!!

Needs a change of attitude or go home IMO not on his own either after tonight's display
Pretty much what i thought.Bit weird giving cust a game without a warm up yet hampshire gets a warm up but no games.Lacked speed on the wings today and surely we would be more creative with shorrocks at loose.Powell was shocking today and must surely be dropped next week along with KPP.
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Not sure where to begin.

I haven't posted for some time as I've only managed to attended Wakefield and Leeds (H) this season due to a change of job.

I can honestly say I didn't see this result coming in a MILLION YEARS! To begin, credit where credit is due, Leeds really played with so much enthusiasm and pace in the first ten minutes of the second half and this clearly set the pace for the fulltime score! I just cant understand how we collapsed in such style?

I can say (from the two games I've attended), I'm impressed with the signings of Toby King and Jake Wardle and I think both where needed for this season. I actually thought (first half), Sam Powell looked like a hooker, I was impressed with Patrick Mago's impact spells and I think he has slimmed down ever so slightly. I'm also impressed with Joe Shorrock's versatility (he isn't a 6, 9 or 11/12), but I do think he puts a spell in! Abbas Miski is looking more complete and settled and it was good to see Iain Thornley on the scoresheet.

Alarm bells have to be ringing after tonight (especially after looking to bounce back from Hull FC), the nature of the defeat and how we simply allowed Leeds to completely humiliate us, is beyond me, left with 10 minutes to go, I'm sure Leeds final try was spectacular too!