Wigan V Leeds 12/05/23

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan V Leeds 12/05/23

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Lazy J wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:55 pm This is where Peet needs to earn his money, we are developing a pattern, have lots of possession but don’t score, 12-0 up we take 2 Leeds we’re gassed, we go 18-0 up different game. We’ve done it a couple of times this season, we need to kill teams off

The intercept killed us but there’s no excuse for the defence in the second half it was shocking, Leeds’ pack and Austin decided that they wanted the win more than we did.

There’s a lot of work to do before we go to Leeds, but it does seem to be stop French and stop Wigan at the moment
Smith needs to learn from his errors. Newman was moving out of the defensive line all game, in the second half he should have taken the ball to the line, dummied, and gone through the gap. Oh for an Andy Gregory or Sean Edwards. By the way, Smith is going to make errors because, at present, he is our only attacking threat and Cust is not the answer.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:41 pm
Lazy J wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:55 pm This is where Peet needs to earn his money, we are developing a pattern, have lots of possession but don’t score, 12-0 up we take 2 Leeds we’re gassed, we go 18-0 up different game. We’ve done it a couple of times this season, we need to kill teams off

The intercept killed us but there’s no excuse for the defence in the second half it was shocking, Leeds’ pack and Austin decided that they wanted the win more than we did.

There’s a lot of work to do before we go to Leeds, but it does seem to be stop French and stop Wigan at the moment
Smith needs to learn from his errors. Newman was moving out of the defensive line all game, in the second half he should have taken the ball to the line, dummied, and gone through the gap. Oh for an Andy Gregory or Sean Edwards. By the way, Smith is going to make errors because, at present, he is our only attacking threat and Cust is not the answer.
And there is the problem. He isn't an attacking threat. He is a solid half back with a good kicking game but an attacking threat he isn't.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:37 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:45 pm I said before this game Blake Austin can win a game when he’s up for it - he’s been up for it tonight - you can point to new man’s interceptions but Blake Austin for me was the bigger factor

Wigan have imploded tonight a lot of average performances

I suppose if you were gonna lose one of the two games we have with Leeds then this is the one to lose - I expect we will bounce back for the cup
Austin was great in the second half but it is no coincidence that he continually ran where Cust was defending. In the first half he did not get a sniff against Shorrocks.
And yet there's people suggesting moving Cust to 13! Surely now we keep it simple, Shorrocks to 13 (his best position anyway, of course he's no Lockers, bit still), and Hampshire, or some other half, to 6.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Suzieb wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:30 am It’s like the coaches don’t know what to do with Mago well I do get shut
It's like the coaches don't know what to do. FULL SOP. Unless of course it was a cunning plan!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I just watched the Saints game. Salford gave it a good go for Worse Second Half of the Season, but that one's surely already at the DW!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Totally unacceptable collapse and to conceed 40 at home is awfull. Even if Leeds hit a red hot spell where all their offloads went to hand, we should be capable of keeping them down below 20 if we want to win anything. This was an appalling performance and the coaches have got to stick a rocket up the team this week. No touchy-feely reviews - let them know how unacceptable that was. :x
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Wouldn't want Wane back but we were always in game because we could defend.Not much idea in attack either. Think like most on here we are missing Briers.Some of the players still not Wigan standard
doc

Post by doc »

You can't get away with 2 halves/hookers on the bench. We were a prop short on the bench because of this. Given that Powell in undroppable, Cust or Hampshire should have started in the halves and the bench should have been Mago, KPP, Hill and Shorrocks.

Also, why have we started to rotate Smithies? Is he carrying a knock?

Next week I can see us being without Wardle unless there is a major improvement in his head injury, in which case Thornley to centre and Marshall on Wing as Douglas got injured in the reserves match.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Soul Kitchen wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:37 am "Heroics over Easter now a waste of time,12 man Leeds win 40 points to 4, what a humiliation"

Never thought of it as blatantly obvious as that!

In the words of Jim Bowen "give the man a tin badge."
But of course sarky as you are you yourself couldn't summarise it so beautifully
Last edited by ian.birchall on Mon May 15, 2023 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ian.birchall wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:35 pm
doc wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:20 pm You can't get away with 2 halves/hookers on the bench. We were a prop short on the bench because of this. Given that Powell in undroppable, Cust or Hampshire should have started in the halves and the bench should have been Mago, KPP, Hill and Shorrocks.

Also, why have we started to rotate Smithies? Is he carrying a knock?

Next week I can see us being without Wardle unless there is a major improvement in his head injury, in which case Thornley to centre and Marshall on Wing as Douglas got injured in the reserves match.
When did Marshall pick up this injury, was it before or in training for the international match? I remember he was reported as having been studded but I thought he only missed one match with that injury?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.