French and Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: French and Field

Post by morley pie eater »

Not trying to be controversial,and not knocking Field, but . . . given a choice, I'd take Bevan all day long, and play him at full back, where he can do most damage. That begs the question, what would I do with Field? Answer - I don't know.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Likewise I view Bevan as better all round, but the only way I see them in the same back line effectively, is Bevan on the wing with Jai fullback (unless Jai can play wing?) as I’m not sure it’s working with one of them in the halves. That’d mean bringing in Astley and benching Misky - or sticking with Bevan as stand-off…

Conundrum
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:19 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:14 pm It's the only way. I'd like them the other way around but I think consistency is more important. Anything but wasting them on the wing where they only get 2 touches a game, and we lose the go forward we need from our wingers.
Was French really wasted on the wing last year? Wasn’t he top try scorer?

I get the point, but IMO the best balance for the team is Field at 1 and French on the wing.

Neither are 6s but Field can do it better than French in attack but French’s defence in the line is very good.
+1
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Gerrumonside wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:52 pm Likewise I view Bevan as better all round, but the only way I see them in the same back line effectively, is Bevan on the wing with Jai fullback (unless Jai can play wing?) as I’m not sure it’s working with one of them in the halves. That’d mean bringing in Astley and benching Misky - or sticking with Bevan as stand-off…

Conundrum
This is exactly how I see it too, however I don't see Miski as a bench player and to be quite honest I don't see the point dropping him right now. He's solid, makes the hard yards and is scoring tries for fun.

The only thing I can imagine being a viable option would be to have one of Field or French on the bench and playing Cust with Smith then seeing what we can do with a fresh Field or French at the back end of each half as team tire
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I think it can work with French at 6 but not if he continues to play the position as he’s done this last few weeks. He looks like he thinks he needs to pass and kick the ball simply because of the position he’s named in and he’s not running the ball anywhere near enough. Opposition teams want French to pass the ball and kick possession away and he’s doing that. Brodie Croft came to Superleague and was given the instruction to just concentrate on his running game and he killed it. I think he’ll settle and start to do that as he feels more relaxed.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:21 pm
Gerrumonside wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:52 pm Likewise I view Bevan as better all round, but the only way I see them in the same back line effectively, is Bevan on the wing with Jai fullback (unless Jai can play wing?) as I’m not sure it’s working with one of them in the halves. That’d mean bringing in Astley and benching Misky - or sticking with Bevan as stand-off…

Conundrum
This is exactly how I see it too, however I don't see Miski as a bench player and to be quite honest I don't see the point dropping him right now. He's solid, makes the hard yards and is scoring tries for fun.

The only thing I can imagine being a viable option would be to have one of Field or French on the bench and playing Cust with Smith then seeing what we can do with a fresh Field or French at the back end of each half as team tire
Not an option.

How have we gone from trying to fit in two amazing attacking players to suggesting one on the bench.

Also, cannot remember any successful team bringing a half on during a game consistently. It just doesn’t happen and there are many reasons for that.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I think Leeds had a similar problem when they had McGuire Sinfield and Burrow all wanting to play halves.

Burrow ended up a bench 9 in the end as couldn’t fit them all in
PJC

Post by PJC »

I m not going to give any solutions but part of the problem of who to play where has been created because the game has changed so much. In the past Field would have been an outstanding stand off. Wigan had Byrne there for one scrum on Sunday.
In my opinion both French and Field are players who do best taking the ball out wide.
Marshall and Miski should not be dropped. I have been particularly impressed with Miski.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Its a annoying problem because having both of them compromises another position somewhat as they occupy the same spot

Personally i see Field as a better fullback but its hard when French plays there i think hes better and when field plays there i think no actually he's better, but fields last man defending is far superior so he edges it for me
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Could Field not be utilised as a centre? :D