Sticky plaster Over A Gaping Wound

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Big stick

Re: Sticky plaster Over A Gaping Wound

Post by Big stick »

What’s the Wigan club? I’ve seen a few other fans trying to take the Micky out of us with the Wigan club

Also wishing a player to retire is disgusting no matter how unhappy you are with the team.
CherryB

Post by CherryB »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:16 am Matt P inherited this team & he is 18 months in.

I think we can win it this year but I’m certain next year after the signings are announced we will all feel in a much better place. We are going in the right direction.
I'm sorry, but we do this every year, and every year we end up in the same position. The new signings are average at best, and in 12 months time we are going to be having exactly the same conversations again. The club needs a serious shake up, from the top. KR needs to go, and we need someone who can actually make decent signings, clearly he can't. Peet is now on borrowed time, winning at Wembley rightly bought him this time, but it is rapidly running out. If he doesn't sort things, we need to start looking for a replacement. The gaping wound isn't the team, it is the management, its time to rip that sticky plaster off it.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Bob the Builder wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:45 am For years now we have papered over the massive cracks. Inconsistency and average has become the norm and seemingly acceptable to all at the Wigan club. We have failed to improve, whilst other teams have kicked on and made noticeable improvements and seem to have a vision for future success. If you stand still you go backwards, but I don't even think we're standing still, more keeping our heads above water. Yes we have won the Challenge Cup recently (albeit, let's be honest we nearly lost that game) and we have the occasional magic result which makes us all think that things are improving. But as I said, we are simply papering over the cracks. When will the Wigan club, from Chairman to coaching staff realise the importance of the spine of a team which needs quality personnel. Remember the Wigan of old, they had a quality spine of 1,6,7,9 & 13 and remember how good we were. Look at some of the quality other SL teams have in these positions and how they dictate a game. Whereas at the moment we continue to chop and change these pivotal positions, play people out of position, or simply put somebody there because they have found a bit of form. I could also mention goalkicking and the importance of an influential leader as a captain, and not just given captaincy because it suits. The Wigan club needs to start to respect the importance of these positions again, and only then will the true glory days return.
Hi Bob
I'm not wanting to start an argument, as your post is an eloquent summary of your feelings of frustration about the team. Once you put that down in writing and publicise it, it is open to scrutiny by others. So I have a couple of questions for starters:

1. What do you mean by "for years"? The last 5 or the last 10 or since 1996? It's crucial to know this so we can examine if it's true, or if it's just the way you feel.

2. Specifically which other teams do you think have "kicked on" in that time frame?

Without knowing the answers to the above, your claims are too vague to have any real meaning, other than that's how you feel.

Cheers,

Morley
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

It's been since we can't buy our way to success, since the salary cap.
Stains have managed to succeed where we haven't.
Too many poor signings from KR and the coaching jobs for the boys isn't good enough.
The only initiative was getting Briers in, but we couldn't persuade him to stay.
Perhaps he will return from Aus as a great Head Coach and we will get him, but more likely to go to w***y, w***y Warrington
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

I agree with a lot said above. We desperately need a stand off, that much is obvious and with young Astley still developing he could be good cover there. But more than happy with Smith at 7.

Im happy with Leeming and ONeill as hooker next season with Forber as cover and happy with Smithies as loose and would have shorroks as cover there.

We have good settled backs (except at 6) although with King going and potentially Keighran replacing we will have to see how that pans out. But Eckersley will be cover there.

Our Fullbacks are class.

Props n 2nd rows are the worry - Byrne and Havard are good and hope they both stay for years to come (yes Havard signed an extension) and Hill is our future along with our new signings. Same for Nsemba at 2nd row, but with Faz not getting any younger we have gaps…

We seem to go down the bigger squad route as opposed to stellar 17 with not too much behind - and history maybe shows that might not be the best way?

Either way we need an experienced prop, 2nd row and stand off as minimum…
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:34 pm
Bob the Builder wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:45 am For years now we have papered over the massive cracks. Inconsistency and average has become the norm and seemingly acceptable to all at the Wigan club. We have failed to improve, whilst other teams have kicked on and made noticeable improvements and seem to have a vision for future success. If you stand still you go backwards, but I don't even think we're standing still, more keeping our heads above water. Yes we have won the Challenge Cup recently (albeit, let's be honest we nearly lost that game) and we have the occasional magic result which makes us all think that things are improving. But as I said, we are simply papering over the cracks. When will the Wigan club, from Chairman to coaching staff realise the importance of the spine of a team which needs quality personnel. Remember the Wigan of old, they had a quality spine of 1,6,7,9 & 13 and remember how good we were. Look at some of the quality other SL teams have in these positions and how they dictate a game. Whereas at the moment we continue to chop and change these pivotal positions, play people out of position, or simply put somebody there because they have found a bit of form. I could also mention goalkicking and the importance of an influential leader as a captain, and not just given captaincy because it suits. The Wigan club needs to start to respect the importance of these positions again, and only then will the true glory days return.
Hi Bob
I'm not wanting to start an argument, as your post is an eloquent summary of your feelings of frustration about the team. Once you put that down in writing and publicise it, it is open to scrutiny by others. So I have a couple of questions for starters:

1. What do you mean by "for years"? The last 5 or the last 10 or since 1996? It's crucial to know this so we can examine if it's true, or if it's just the way you feel.

2. Specifically which other teams do you think have "kicked on" in that time frame?

Without knowing the answers to the above, your claims are too vague to have any real meaning, other than that's how you feel.

Cheers,

Morley
You said it Morley your post is open to "scrutiny that is,amongst other things , critical examination thus rendering your comments on Bobs opinions, not claims,oxymoronic. His opinions are not, by any stretch of imagination, vague at all and indeed have real meaning as you realise by y your qualification "...other than how you feel ie opinion those being the whole point and purpose of his post in fact is shared by many on this forum including me. Accept is post for what it is his opinions well stated. Cheers🍷🍾
Bob the Builder

Post by Bob the Builder »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:47 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:34 pm
Hi Bob

Cheers,

Morley
You said it Morley your post is open to "scrutiny that is,amongst other things , critical examination thus rendering your comments on Bobs opinions, not claims,oxymoronic. His opinions are not, by any stretch of imagination, vague at all and indeed have real meaning as you realise by y your qualification "...other than how you feel ie opinion those being the whole point and purpose of his post in fact is shared by many on this forum including me. Accept is post for what it is his opinions well stated. Cheers🍷🍾
Thanks Archiekeith 👏👏 I particularly thought the opening comment of "I'm not wanting to start an argument" had an element of irony. I also thought the direct response on a fans forum was a tad personal. So I figured best not to comment 😁😁 And if this is the way I get treated when airing my opinions, then I'll probably not go on this site in the future.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

For my two penny worth is the club has gone backwards after the steady move forward last season,without doubt the loss of Briers can't be underestimated in my opinion but again good signings tempered with bad ones aren't helping the issue either,on that training session I wondered how fit Cust was given he has more bandages on then decking Egyptian mummy,then to compound that by signing a player who wouldn't be fit till mere weeks left in the season is down right barmy.

Saints like it or not with their rookie coach are the team to beat still and it falls me to say it they are way ahead of Wigan,granted with a rebuild coming sooner rather than later,they'll win the grand final and may well do the challenge cup too unless Lammy can galvanize his Leigh squad I hope he does.
pedro

Post by pedro »

if smithies is good enough I give up, he can tackle thats it....if smith is good enough im done again, he can kick (ish) thats it.....we have 2 excellent fullbacks who the coach cant manage and 2 x 6's who he doesnt play, I think we are in massive trouble this year, we play dumb rugby and our back is garbage, byrne couldnt run over my 13 year old....
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

So in summary

Booo out with Peet
Down with IL
Down with KR
Haven't won anything in years
Boooo
Club never do anything right
Should be like the golden Era
Cap no excuse
I know better than the coach
It's all Powells fault
:lol:

Go on meds you can delete this one as antagonising some posters
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.