Referee for Friday …FFS!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Referee for Friday …FFS!!

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:30 am I'm wondering these days if some of them like a flutter now and again... :shock:
This wouldnt suprise me one bit.The thing about refs i hate the most is there blatant evening up of the penalty count after they have destroyed one side early doors.Usually the side getting penalused early has already lost when they get there share.A penalty count could be one sided if only one team is braking the rules
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:20 am
Mike wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:30 am I'm wondering these days if some of them like a flutter now and again... :shock:
This wouldnt suprise me one bit.The thing about refs i hate the most is there blatant evening up of the penalty count after they have destroyed one side early doors.Usually the side getting penalused early has already lost when they get there share.A penalty count could be one sided if only one team is braking the rules
Must admit whiel i dont believe in ref bias against teams - this certainly is the case the evening up of pens - i almost like it when we get caned early because you know you've got some joy coming towards the end of the match
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:49 am
Must admit whiel i dont believe in ref bias against teams - this certainly is the case the evening up of pens - i almost like it when we get caned early because you know you've got some joy coming towards the end of the match
No way.

By the end of the game the damage is often already done. The timing of the penalties is way more important than the "count".

Kendall is awful.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:49 am
Not when that battering with pens against us for the first 60 mins put the game gone with a score of 24-4 or 32-12 going into the last 15-20 mins. the flurry of pens for us alters the score but not the result which by then the ref has decided will be a foregone conclusion. Most of us on here have been to Headingly or Knowsley Rd when we've been battered with pens and have come away thinking it was a waste of time and effort going to away games due to the attitude of refs.
There are still at it too. Not as bad or as obvious but still at it.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Most of the penalties given are valid, they are just not given consistently throughout the game for the same offence.

The bigger issue I have and Kendall seems to be the biggest offender, is the the set restart. There is no explanation as to why and what we see from the stands / tv only seems to go one way. Teams that have a history of fast expansive rugby appear to get the benefit of these compared to others like ourselves that have a history of playing in a consistent constructive manner.
Welski

Post by Welski »

Firstly let me say that I totally agree that’s it’s clear that refs tend to even up the penalty count when it doesn’t matter however there may be a bit of logic to it (confirmation bias on our/my part) refs tend to give the team that’s on top more decisions as those on the back foot will probably infringe more . Late in the contest with the game won the losing side does tend to have a little purple patch as the victors ease off which can result in a few pens going their way hence the feeling of the ref redressing the balance.

That said if a ref starts out by giving one team an advantage with unfair penalty calls in their favour then regardless of the above it’s still not on.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
endoman

Post by endoman »

Listen through this where the evening up is as near as possible confirmed by James Child in a BBC podcast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0fb8dn7
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

We should adapt the NRL policy of both teams having 2 referee challenges & you would be amazed how many ref decisions are overturned as wrong . In big cup games it is vital with the money involved that referees are held to account.

This does not apply to Warrington as they never reach cup games :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I miss James Childs I’d sooner him than Kendall
moto748

Post by moto748 »

ddtftf wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:44 pm We should adapt the NRL policy of both teams having 2 referee challenges
But we can't. Needs proper cameras at every game (should be true anyway), and apparently our game is too poor for that.