Wigan squad for Warrington / Tonight's Match v Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Tonight's Match v Warrington

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:26 pm Opinions on Shorrocks may vary, but it seems to me (and has done for some time) than even if he is not a regular starter, he is very much part of the 'leadership group'. During that lengthy injury to the Wire player, Lockers ran on to chat with him at some length. He's not the biggest, and misses a few tackles (although he makes plenty), but he's often the guy who comes up with the important defensive plays. I expect him to be a long-term squad player at Wigan, and that's fine with me.
If Isa was fit would he even be in the 17 now KPP is back? If Bateman hadn’t left or had been replaced with a similar standard player (as he looks to have been next season if what people are saying about Walters being a back row is correct) where does he play?

As to him being part of the leadership team why would you include a player who is unlikely to feature on a regular basis when the squad is fit in the leadership team? He has utility value but he’s not really good enough IMO.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:01 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:53 pm We looked poor for a good chunk of the first half, much, much better in the 2nd. Thought we looked better balanced with Field/French growing into the roles so Smith wasn't trying to do it all. Really good stints from KPP and Hill. Liked to have seen Nsemba have a longer run out. Kendall was making it up but was equally bad for both teams TBH.
Agree with that. After 15-20 mins, I thought we could be in for a tanking, but Wire faded badly in the second half. I think French is growing into the role at 6 OK, really. Both he and Field got their hands on the ball plenty, which is surely what we want. I would have liked to see more of Nsemba too, he looks such a good prospect.
One big fault I see in Bevan, and which is a golden rule in rugby league, is that if you throw a dummy you take the line on. He doesn’t and the result is he throws some hospital passes.
Charriots Offiah

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:44 pm
NE-WW wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:12 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:40 pm

:lol: if you can't see what Farrel offers and what shorrocks has offered this season you need a trip to specsavers.
All about options, I suppose...

But Farrel is a shadow of his former self and if you think Shorrocks is Wigan standard I suggest a trip to Specsavers ;)

KPP has been surprisingly brilliant
Living in the golden Era still?

We have a cap. Shorrock barely buts a foot wrong and has on multiple occasions put in match winning defensive efforts.
Faz is on the slide, he is nowhere near as effective as in the past.
Charriots Offiah

cherry toffee wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:09 pm Must admit I’ve always wanted Byrne to succeed but it doesn’t seem to be happening hope I’m wrong but ?
Byrne has a problem with standing up in the tackle, he needs to change his body angle.
Charriots Offiah

I have, in the Pat been a critic of KPP but he turned that match in our favour tonight.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:31 am

One big fault I see in Bevan, and which is a golden rule in rugby league, is that if you throw a dummy you take the line on. He doesn’t and the result is he throws some hospital passes.
That's probably fair, Charriots, but nevertheless, he worries opposition defences when he has the ball in in his hands.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

If isa is even 50% fit for the semi I’d get him straight in. Can’t be undervalued how important he is to that group of players no matter what fans think of him
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Just watched the highlights on Wigan TV and Daryl Powell’s face is a picture after Wigan’s fourth try. Worth the subscription just for that :lol:
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Wigan squad for Warrington / Tonight's Match v Warrington

Post by Mike »

Take away for me we're KPP has to start and play the 80, he's clearly a dangerous 2nd row option. Nsemba needs more minutes - I think Peet is too cautious on decisions like this. French is doing fine or even well at SO, there no need to change an evolving back line combination. Magi just isn't going to get a new contract.

Overall a good performance with a couple of shockingly lazy/poor defensive errors. Nice to see a ref even up a bad call with another. You don't get that at saints!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:36 am
cherry toffee wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:09 pm Must admit I’ve always wanted Byrne to succeed but it doesn’t seem to be happening hope I’m wrong but ?
Byrne has a problem with standing up in the tackle, he needs to change his body angle.
He doesn't use his weight and sometimes looks a little lazy. He seems hesitant to put his body into tackles and carries. Their first try came off him flapping around with his arms way too much when he should have been putting the man down. He got carried over for a goal line drop out from around 5 yards out too which shouldn't be happening to a starting prop like him. He just lacks explosiveness and seems to be a bit of a plodder most of the time