Ian Lenagan to step down as Chairman and Shareholder

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Ian Lenagan to step down as Chairman and Shareholder

Post by EagleEyePie »

When Ian Lenagan took over there was a lot of work to do to make the club sustainable on and off the field. He got the on-field stuff right very quickly with the appointment of Michael Maguire. It didn't take long to sort out the off-field stuff either as we pretty quickly increased attendances over the next few years. Mick Hogan was a brilliant appointment. Mark Bitcon another.

All clubs have faced a lot of challenges over the last decade or so, but he's still done a good job of keeping the team competitive. He's put a lot of his own money into the club and kept us going through the most financially difficult period of recent years.

Things could have worked out very differently had he not taken over from Whelan and I'm grateful for everything that he has done for the club.

Now is the time for a new era. With Danson owning both major sports clubs in Wigan I'm hoping it's an era where the dumbest 'rivalry' in sport is put to rest.

Interestingly, both Wigan teams being under the same ownership or in some form of partnership is something Ian Lenagan has been keen on for a while, despite the blue half thinking he was hell-bent on putting them out of business. He's getting what he wanted and both sets of fans seem pretty happy about it.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I heard about this a while ago and we were told that Danson has some big plans for the club. Some may take longer than others to come to fruition, but I'm excited to see how it all pans out.

Obviously, salary cap aside, having an owner who's actually "rich", not just wealthy and what the coaching staff have been told is something I can't wait to see develop :D

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

lucky 13 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:05 pm Massive respect for Mr Lenegan and what he has done for our club. Did he get everything right maybe not but who does?
While he may not have played for Wigan RL like some of his heroes he's earned a place at the table with them in what he's achieved in his tenure. All the very best thank you will never cover it.
Sums my sentiments up nicely.

Thank you IL. I remember you celebrating with the fans at New Craven Park, and knew then that you were a fan, not just a businessman/club owner. 👋👋👋👋👋
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

No leader, whether it's in sport, business, politics or anything else will ever satisfy everyone. We need only look at this forum to appreciate how opinions differ and are sometimes poles apart. Ian Lenagan has come in for praise and criticism on these pages and I guess that's what forums, and opinions, are for.

Not everything that IL has tried has been successful, but he has never been afraid of trying new and innovative ideas. Taking 'home' matches on the road, playing a Super League match in Australia, the Business Club, different game marketing angles, fans forums, the Legends' series, the involvement of community groups and past players have all been notable attempts at spreading the profile of the Warriors in particular and the game in general. All of those initiatives have been undertaken with the best interests of Wigan Warriors at heart, In my opinion, IL's commitment to, and passion for the Warriors is unquestionable.

I believe that Ian Lenagan's lasting legacy to Wigan Warriors, apart from the stability and professionalism that he has brought to the club as a whole, will be the development of the Robin Park Arena as an outstanding training and development facility, which will serve the club long into the future. To have orchestrated a succession plan that, on the face of it, promises great things for professional sport in Wigan is also a major achievement.

Thanks for all of your efforts Mr Lenegan. Let's hope that the team can now bring a fitting end to your ownership of the Warriors with another Challenge Cup, or Super League title, or, even better, both.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:39 pm
Thanks for all of your efforts Mr Lenegan. Let's hope that the team can now bring a fitting end to your ownership of the Warriors with another Challenge Cup, or Super League title, or, even better, both.
Not long said the same thing to Rads 😊 It’s the least the team & coaching staff can do.

I’d love to see Mr Lenagan walking out the team in successful games in both the CC & SL finals for the last time.

The other thing I liked about Mr Lenagan is that he was a fan first & foremost & loved nothing better than mixing with the fans at games or events 😊

Once again thank you Mr Lenagan. One special man, one special owner, one special fan 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

The expansive recruitment for next year with at least 2 more to come must go hand in hand with this. Would explain also why peet has been so open about bringing more players in, he’s usually quite defensive on the transfer front
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:54 pm I said many times that once lenagann left it wouldn't be his sons that took over always someone else and so it is Mike Danson let's hope he has the same stabilization that Ian brought to the club
I expect the club to move on to the next level. That comment is not intended to be detrimental to Ian but Mike can afford to make additional investment into the Club.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Been a amazing time under him. Some exciting signings made for next season. I think we can all be excited about our future.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:35 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:54 pm I said many times that once lenagann left it wouldn't be his sons that took over always someone else and so it is Mike Danson let's hope he has the same stabilization that Ian brought to the club
I expect the club to move on to the next level. That comment is not intended to be detrimental to Ian but Mike can afford to make additional investment into the Club.
Honestly I expect more of the same to be honest from Danson I’m not expecting raid after raid for player x,y or z I may be wrong I hope not thought,the one issue that should be brought to a swift conclusion is the stadium 50/50 baby,50/50,all the way.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:51 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:29 pm Didn’t see that one coming. It’s not that long ago I am sure I read he was on about his successor being his son and the club remaining under the ownership of the Lenagan family.
Did know about this as did a few others on here.

Think it became more apparent when Mr Danson bought the DW & latics that new ownership of both clubs would combine.
I am not imaging it though am I that not so long ago this wasn’t the plan and he was going to hand over the reigns to other members of his family?