What will Danson do for us?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: What will Danson do for us?

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Crossy210 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:01 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:07 pm I didn’t want to clog up the thread by quoting DaveO’s latest post, but looking at companies house makes absolutely no difference to the point I am making: Wigan Warriors’ owner owns the ground. We - via our owner - own our own ground. There is nothing that prevents Wigan Warriors doing whatever it wants with the ground in the sense that we all understand it - if our owner decides to do something he can do it without anyone else’s permission.

The shareholdings within the group are entirely irrelevant.
It is an asset for the football club therefore the rugby have no ownership of said ground. Damson just owns two companies that share the same ground. If he sold latics the ground would be sold with them. Unless he splits the ownership between both clubs we will still technically be tenants
It is Danson’s asset. If I own a company that owns a company that owns a stadium I own that stadium. When you bring all the companies into the same group, as Danson will do, he can do what he likes. Any agreements between group companies can be terminated or renegotiated at will, all gains or losses are group gains or losses.

Danson decides what happens to the ground and both clubs. Our owner owns our ground. There is no such thing any more as an asset being Latics’, all the assets are Danson’s. So, where before we had to listen to Latics we don’t any more, we just listen to our new owner. Which is excellent news for us.
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:35 pm
Crossy210 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:01 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:07 pm I didn’t want to clog up the thread by quoting DaveO’s latest post, but looking at companies house makes absolutely no difference to the point I am making: Wigan Warriors’ owner owns the ground. We - via our owner - own our own ground. There is nothing that prevents Wigan Warriors doing whatever it wants with the ground in the sense that we all understand it - if our owner decides to do something he can do it without anyone else’s permission.

The shareholdings within the group are entirely irrelevant.
It is an asset for the football club therefore the rugby have no ownership of said ground. Damson just owns two companies that share the same ground. If he sold latics the ground would be sold with them. Unless he splits the ownership between both clubs we will still technically be tenants
It is Danson’s asset. If I own a company that owns a company that owns a stadium I own that stadium. When you bring all the companies into the same group, as Danson will do, he can do what he likes. Any agreements between group companies can be terminated or renegotiated at will, all gains or losses are group gains or losses.

Danson decides what happens to the ground and both clubs. Our owner owns our ground. There is no such thing any more as an asset being Latics’, all the assets are Danson’s. So, where before we had to listen to Latics we don’t any more, we just listen to our new owner. Which is excellent news for us.
Yes danson owns latics. Doesn’t yet own the warriors. But as myself and others have said as far as the ground is concerned it is owned by the football club. The rugby at this point has nothing to do with it except being tenants. So as it stands we do not own anything. We aren’t saying it won’t change in future but as it stands we still pay rent to play at the DW and that won’t change until at the very earliest November if not later.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:35 pm There is no such thing any more as an asset being Latics’.....
Yes there is. The ground is still owned by Phoenix 21 Ltd (i.e. by Latics).
.....all the assets are Danson’s.
No they are not. The ground is an asset of Phoenix 21 Ltd and Danson's holding company is the majority shareholder in Phoenix 21 Ltd. I really do not get it why you are failing to understand what that means.

As his holding company is the majority shareholder in Phoenix 21 Ltd he could if he wanted to tell them to change all the seats to red ones but that doesn't affect which company is the legal owner of the ground.

His holding company being the majority shareholder in Phoenix 21 Ltd does not confer any ownership rights to the DW to Wigan RL and we remain tenants. He may change that after November once he formally acquires Wigan RL, he may not but until then and we see what he does Wigan RL remain tenants and have no ownership of the DW.
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:59 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:35 pm There is no such thing any more as an asset being Latics’.....
Yes there is. The ground is still owned by Phoenix 21 Ltd (i.e. by Latics).
.....all the assets are Danson’s.
No they are not. The ground is an asset of Phoenix 21 Ltd and Danson's holding company is the majority shareholder in Phoenix 21 Ltd. I really do not get it why you are failing to understand what that means.

As his holding company is the majority shareholder in Phoenix 21 Ltd he could if he wanted to tell them to change all the seats to red ones but that doesn't affect which company is the legal owner of the ground.

His holding company being the majority shareholder in Phoenix 21 Ltd does not confer any ownership rights to the DW to Wigan RL and we remain tenants. He may change that after November once he formally acquires Wigan RL, he may not but until then and we see what he does Wigan RL remain tenants and have no ownership of the DW.

Finally someone who grasps how assets within businesses work.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Things have changed already, the academy played on the DW on Friday, the 1st team have trained on the DW.

As I posted a couple of weeks back I expect there will be many more changes by the time next season comes around.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:45 am Things have changed already, the academy played on the DW on Friday, the 1st team have trained on the DW.

As I posted a couple of weeks back I expect there will be many more changes by the time next season comes around.
Was that not because of the schools sports days being held at Robin Park?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:04 am
No straw damn us wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:45 am Things have changed already, the academy played on the DW on Friday, the 1st team have trained on the DW.

I must admit I was surprised at the academy game being at the DW makes sense now if robin park was busy.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

That will be good news though I am not sure what difference it makes where the team trains, Robin Park or the DW. Most teams who have a training ground tend to train on it and not use the main ground for that.
Good that the academy get to play there though.

The changes I am more interested in are any that make it obvious the DW is as much Wigan Warriors home as it is Latics and we are not there under sufferance of the football club which is certainly how it has seemed with things like the flags being removed.

As to the ground ownership unless Danson changes it from being owned solely by Phoenix 21 Ltd we will remain tenants and despite how much he allows the Warriors to make it "home" that won't go down well with some people.

The IMG criteria award points for owning your own ground and if the ownership structure stays as it is I don't see why Wigan RL would would get any points for that because technically Wigan RL would not own it. It's not many points that are awarded for that but it may be a reason for Danson to consider changing the ownership structure but then he might fall foul of any ownership rules the Football League imposes. We will just have to wait and see what happens.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:05 am

I must admit I was surprised at the academy game being at the DW makes sense now if robin park was busy.
I meant the men’s side training on the DW Alan. The schools usually have their sports days there & I have seen the schools there this last couple of weeks.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:28 am
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:05 am

I meant the men’s side training on the DW Alan. The schools usually have their sports days there & I have seen the schools there this last couple of weeks.
That's even more good news Josie let's be fair before Danson took over I was amazed they let the first team in on game days