HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:00 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:58 pm
medlocke wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:56 pm

You're not wrong there Nathan
Rubbish. This year our defence is letting us down Briers had nothing to do with that.
We look absolutely clueless in attack in all areas of the pitch.
The problem with our attack is French, Schneider plays for us today and we win.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:23 pm
DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:06 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:58 pm

Rubbish. This year our defence is letting us down Briers had nothing to do with that.
We are poor in attack and defence and the buck stops with Peet. If Field or French don’t pull something out of the hat he has no clue about tactically outsmarting the opposition. Wigan currently play the game one one way and have no idea when the going gets thought what to do.
You said this under Lam as well. And Wane sane old comment different coach.

We did change tactics we tried expansive until shorrocks went off then afterwards didn't.

I get this French or field line as well every team has one or two key player they build the team around.

For saints it's welsby and Lomax and if they don't create anything saints suffer.

Makinson a brilliant winger but he never makes something from nothing
Well thank you for telling me what I said as if you would know but even if I did that little ad hominem comment does not alter what is going on now.

The wingers hardly had a pass all day and with men outside Smith kicked early in the tackle count more than once and this is a habit he’s got into lately and does regularly. I think he does it habitually now and with little thought of whether at that point in time it’s tactically the right thing to do. Peet needs to tell him the lay off.

As to Saints or anyone else relying on just a couple of players to pull something off the way we do, that’s just nonsense and the lamest excuse yet I have seen to excuse poor coaching. What other teams do doesn’t matter anyway and it’s just a fact our team and coach are clueless when a game is tight like that. They keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome and you know what they say about that.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wigan1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:10 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:07 pm Wet weather rugby with a man down for a full half, what more do people expect. The ref killed us

But he didn’t. We are a poor team. We have no plan b and a coach who doesn’t know how to see a close game out. We should have won, and if we played smarter rugby we would have. Dumb rugby cost us……again.
Some of that today is not about coaching it is about players using their heads and executing correctly. Fields kick on the third tackle which gave them seven tackles was a game changer. French’s drop goal attempt was pathetic and smacked of panic.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I give up DaveO I bow to your unlimited expertise of RL. You know better than the coaches, the owners and the CEO. If you ran wigan we would be in a golden Era of being unstoppable as we know there's no excuses and it's just poor players, poor coaches and poor owners. By disagreeing with your views I'm just a happy clapper. I shall hold of posting any alternate views and only post when we lose.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firstly it wasn't a red. Lewis is short and he was ducking.

If the game has decided that this deserves a red (and therefore changes the game and my enjoyment of it), I think I may well be saying goodbye and thanks for all the memories.

Having said that Wigan were poor. No creativity again. We simply rely on Field/French to pull something out of a hat.

Maybe a defeat is better for Wigan in the long run. A win would simply paper over the glaring cracks.

Peet is massively out of his depth.

On a positive note I thought Ellis went very well as did KPP (who, based on that form may well prove me wrong and make it in the NRL).
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:43 pm The problem with our attack is French, Schneider plays for us today and we win.
That's crazy. French has been our most creative player since moving to 6. He averages an assist a game in that position which is the same as Lachlan Lam and averages a try every other game. There's no other halfback matching him for direct involvement in tries and our right edge is far more threatening than the left.

I'd argue we aren't getting anywhere near as much creativity from our 7 and 1. You should really have a ball player at fullback these days but Field is finishing, not creating.

As a team we don't do enough down the middle of the field to give our halves enough opportunity to create. How many tries to we score down the middle of the field? If we aren't a threat down the middle nobody has to pay much attention to any of our players until French or Smith get hold of the ball.
Py33

Post by Py33 »

[quote="Lazy J" post_id=533850 time=1690135590 user_id=516]
Fair play to Hull KR, we we’re beaten fair and square, we didn’t help ourselves with the shorrocks red, but I don’t think it would have made much difference, we know the short falls in the team, the pack isn’t a wet weather pack and we're short of a stand off and a hooker.

But in many ways it’s good for the game to get 2 “smaller” teams to the final, I just hope the fans turn up at Wembley for it, otherwise it could look embarrassing on TV
[/quote]

I suspect they won’t. A Wigan Saints final would have filled Wembley to the rafters but I believe we will see swathes of empty seats there now.

I agree with the general comments that we were clueless in attack. It always seems to be the case unless French or Field happen to find some space.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

We are just not good enough in all aspects of the game including players and coaching staff
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:12 pm We just are just not good enough in all aspects of the game including players and coaching staff
That's what you get when your owner isn't mega rich and tries to do everything on a budget, hopefully things will change for the better under Mr Danson, JFTB really needs to be eradicated from the club
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Disappointing, a few players looked off form in the first half but we went in ahead, so happy days. Hard to criticise 2nd half as all we could do was hang in. Have to say poor game plan, poorly executed didn't help. Some coaching decisions didnt pay off either, we lose an unfit Isa at half time, we lose another interchange player to the red and don't use Hill, so we play 40 mins with one interchange player.