HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Post by josie andrews »

Full RFL charge list:

Sione Mata'utia (St Helens) - Grade C High Tackle - 2 Match Penalty Notice

Edwin Ipape (Leigh Leopards) - Grade B Strikes - 1 Match Penalty Notice

Joe Shorrocks (Wigan Warriors) - Grade C High Tackle - 1 Match Penalty Notice

Rob Butler* (London Broncos) - Grade F Biting - Refer to Tribunal

Matt Parcell (Hull KR) - Dangerous Contact

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... y-27384249
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't understand why people use Twitter as a source of information at all. As we know all too well, there's an enormous load of rubbish talked on Twitter on all kinds of topics!

If you are online and can access this site, then you can access the official Superleague website, and, indeed, the Club's own website. Proper sources of information; not just "wot some random guy reckons".
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:05 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:28 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:54 pm Just heard shorrocks isnt banned(250 quid fine).So was it a sending off offence? Most definitely not
Where have you seen this mate? I can't find anything on it.
Wigan’s Joe Shorrocks has also been banned after his red card against Hull KR. The player was sent off for a high shot on Mikey Lewis less than a minute after entering Sunday’s semi-final and has been charged for a Grade C ‘high tackle.’ He will miss the game against Leigh this weekend.
Strange that…. God knows why it popped up on twitter
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:09 pm I don't understand why people use Twitter as a source of information at all. As we know all too well, there's an enormous load of rubbish talked on Twitter on all kinds of topics!

If you are online and can access this site, then you can access the official Superleague website, and, indeed, the Club's own website. Proper sources of information; not just "wot some random guy reckons".
I know better next time moto
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

not twitter - X surely!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Ipinwigan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:29 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:11 am It's clear to anyone with half a brain that Peet took on the coaching job too soon in his career.

He needed at least another 2 or 3 seasons under someone's wing, preferably a top notch Aussie coach who can bring in modern methods.

IL did what he has done for a long time and brought in people "on the cheap". Sorry if that offends those who think our nearest star shines out of a certain orifice of the current Chairman, but those are the facts.

If we are to get progress at the club then Danson needs to be ruthless. Bring in an Aussie coach (as yes they are streets ahead of us- they have to be), pay him well and get rid of the Jobs for the Boys culture at Wigan. Time for the "Old Guard", and anyone connected to them to move on.

It simply isn't working.
Totally agree.
Get a new coaching team in, to bring in fresh ideas.
We also need a Big Prop and good Stand-off.
If we ever want to become the Greatest Rugby League Club once again major changes are needed.
Over to you Mr Danson
I doubt Danson will charge in and sack the entire coaching team but they definitely need to be put on notice improvement is needed or they are out.

You just knew under IL they would be given years to carry on regardless. When he first took over he made a point of saying the club sacked coaches too readily and as a result he kept Noble and Wane on past their sell by dates and were he to have remained in charge I am sure we’d be stuck with Peet for years even if we didn’t win a thing.

Hopefully with Danson in charge we will see a change. It is after all professional sport and you are judged on success, not being a nice bloke or whatever and Danson needs to more ruthless than IL has been.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:34 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:29 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:11 am It's clear to anyone with half a brain that Peet took on the coaching job too soon in his career.

He needed at least another 2 or 3 seasons under someone's wing, preferably a top notch Aussie coach who can bring in modern methods.

IL did what he has done for a long time and brought in people "on the cheap". Sorry if that offends those who think our nearest star shines out of a certain orifice of the current Chairman, but those are the facts.

If we are to get progress at the club then Danson needs to be ruthless. Bring in an Aussie coach (as yes they are streets ahead of us- they have to be), pay him well and get rid of the Jobs for the Boys culture at Wigan. Time for the "Old Guard", and anyone connected to them to move on.

It simply isn't working.
Totally agree.
Get a new coaching team in, to bring in fresh ideas.
We also need a Big Prop and good Stand-off.
If we ever want to become the Greatest Rugby League Club once again major changes are needed.
Over to you Mr Danson
I doubt Danson will charge in and sack the entire coaching team but they definitely need to be put on notice improvement is needed or they are out.

You just knew under IL they would be given years to carry on regardless. When he first took over he made a point of saying the club sacked coaches too readily and as a result he kept Noble and Wane on past their sell by dates and were he to have remained in charge I am sure we’d be stuck with Peet for years even if we didn’t win a thing.

Hopefully with Danson in charge we will see a change. It is after all professional sport and you are judged on success, not being a nice bloke or whatever and Danson needs to more ruthless than IL has been.
I'll be willing to be he isn't.
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

so a tackle to the shoulder is now classed as a high tackle?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Raging Penguin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:51 pm so a tackle to the shoulder is now classed as a high tackle?
The ref was calling pulling the shirt collar a high shot in the academy games!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Flash

Post by Flash »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:50 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:48 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:08 am

Shall i tell you from this season?

In this season there have been 8 Red Cards i can find before this game

In those game which a red card was shown only 3 of those games were lost - and 2 of those 3 games the red came in the final minutes and the other was a wakefield vs wire game when wire were red hot and wakefield couldnt score a point

you know what happened in all the rest???? the red carded team won!

3 of these were in the first half that its noted - i dont have the detail of the others

1 of them was against us leeds went a man down in the first half trailing 14-8 won the game 40-18

so there you go a 62% success rate this season for teams that receive a red card

so i reiterate RED CARDS DONT DECIDE MATCHS!!
Red cards do decide matches. They just haven't as much this season. You're taking a very limited sample size there mate. Do you think we would have won the Ben Flower final had he not be sent off for example?

The fact is, it depends on the individual game. If the game isn't as intense (as has been the case in the matches this season) it matters less. When the game is intense, as in yesterday's case, it matters MASSIVELY!

We were gassed in that final period when KR got back into the game and ultimately won in Golden point. We were literally out in our feet.

If the extra player didn't matter, why, in the entire history of the game, has no coach ever started with 12 players? I'll tell you why. Because having a player less on the park would reduce your chances of winning. I'm surprised you're struggling with such a simple concept to be honest.

If you're saying that playing a man down doesn't necessarily mean you lose, then I would agree but it depends on the match. Yesterday was clearly a case where it did matter. Unless you think we would have been that gassed anyway in which case I would respectfully disagree.
Thats exactly what im saying ive never said anything different, ive said red cards do not decide matches and they absolutely dont! otherwise youd just call the game as soon as it happened. This season isnt a fluke of nature i would say its always been around 50% whether the team with 12 win or lose, thats why all the commentators say about weirdly when youre down a man it can actually improve the performance of the team as it gives them a siege mentality.

Yesterday we did not lose because Joe Shorrocks was sent off, we were poor before he went off and we were poor after he was off. We were gassed because we consistently turned the ball over when we didnt need to and didnt play the conditions. Playing with 12 for 40mins isnt a that big a deal for a team and you can still easily control the game. Hull KR were nothing special yesterday any team playing smart could of easily seen that game out. If anything the call that hurt us most for the charge down call - because of the timing an position of it - even so it was symptomatic of a poor Wigan performance

We lost because we were terrible in our execution and poor tactics attributing it to the Red Card is simply not true it did not cost us the match
It's never been around 50%. Never! I've watched this game for over 30 years and a result with a man down has always been seen as overcoming the odds and something special. This year has been an anomaly but go back and you'll see it's far from the norm. That said if your point is that red cards ON THEIR OWN don't decide the result then I can't disagree. However, if you're then excluding them from having any effect whatsoever then that is simply wrong.

The truth is, going a man down has an effect. How much effect is dependent on the game. So, for example, in the Warrington quarter final it had less effect as Warrington couldn't hold on to the ball. Nevertheless they were one forward pass away from winning that game against a team that outplayed them. Why do you think that was?

It's really a simple concept though. If going to 12 men has no impact then, particularly when injuries strike, coaches would be willing to start with 12 players as having one player less has no effect. It's not rocket science to work out that, given that literally never happens, then the assertion that being a man down has no effect is clearly wrong.

Was it the sole reason we lost? No, of course not. Was it a contributary factor. Absolutely yes! Given we lost by one point in extra time I would say ANY of the many factors could have made that 1 point difference INCLUDING the sending off. You can't exclude it simply because you don't think it was the sole reason.