George Williams

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
nathan_rugby

Re: George Williams

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:26 pm That’s why I disagree with the marquee salary for players!
Marquee status or a marquee level salary in general?

Do clubs have to disclose publicly who they are claiming marquee for?

The issue isn’t marquee salary, it’s people not keeping their mouth shut about salary.

Why shouldn’t French get a marquee salary for example?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:58 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:26 pm That’s why I disagree with the marquee salary for players!

The issue isn’t marquee salary, it’s people not keeping their mouth shut about salary.

He has.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

the thing with the "Live" cap, is that it is / could be constantly changing throughout the year depending upon player movements

so for example only - i dont know if this is the case we have paid up to the full cap £2.1m (exclude any dispensations for the example) and we have 2 marquee players the club needs to work out the best case for the club, and that isnt necessarily declaring the highest salaries as the marquee

For Example purposes only :)
French £200k
Field £200k
Farrell £150k

if French and Field were declared as Marquee, then the cost to the club salary cap is £450k (2 international marquee at £150k), however, if we declared French and Farrell, then the cost to the club falls to £425k (£150k French, £200k Field and £75k Farrell)

So in the above example the club would disclose to the RFL / salary cap auditors that French and Farrell were SC marquee players, as it benefits the club if they can pay over and above the £2.1m cap

If Faz, was on £200k, then it makes even more sense to declare him as 1 of the marquee as the numbers would then become £500k v £425k, so less of a hit against the total cap

i dont think the club need to declare publicly who is marquee, but they will need to declare to the RFL / SC auditors, as they will need to sanction any future changes
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Yep, the cap accounts are constantly changing, especially at this time of year. When I spoke to my mate a couple of weeks ago he'd just submitted version 10 of the 2023/24 accounts to Kris.

They constantly change as contracts are negotiated or players are coming to the end of their contracts. Singo going is a perfect example and how the club have saved on his salary until the end of the season being used to go towards other signings or contract negotiations. Because all players have different "end dates" on their contracts the situation with wages is pretty fluid and is constantly changing depending on who we're looking at and what we're prepared to pay new signings or current players being given a new contract.

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:01 pm

He has.
I know, but that wasn't my point.

I am asking Josie what she means by disagreeing with marquee salary.

Is it the marquee ruling/status (If so, why?) or salaries going high enough to qualify for current marquee status (Again, if so why?)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He has.
I’m not saying he shouldn’t get paid but marquee but it must cause unrest with some of the players surely that a big wedge of the salary cap goes on one player.

I use to think the same before the salary cap that no one player is worth a significant amount compared to others.

I feel the same way about football but that sport just makes me very angry!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:23 pm

He has.
I know, but that wasn't my point.

I am asking Josie what she means by disagreeing with marquee salary.

Is it the marquee ruling/status (If so, why?) or salaries going high enough to qualify for current marquee status (Again, if so why?)
I’m only speaking for myself to me we simply as fans shouldn’t know how much a player is getting each month,it’s not our business the marquee rule pretty much tells us player X is on so much..I’ll switch it round how much do you earn?would,you be happy a bunch of people discussing your personal situation?no,of course you wouldn’t so quite why the RFL deemed it alright baffles me.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I totally agree Josie jealousy is a dangerous weapon
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

ddtftf wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:37 pm I totally agree Josie jealousy is a dangerous weapon
i suppose the question would be does the club disclose to the players who are marquee players are? I would suggest not, as with my example, plus new players coming in, it can be quite fluid. As Sutty has also said, the club are already on V10 of the budget / cap for next season, so marquee could have already changed?

at the end of the day the players may discuss their salaries internally (??) but i know i dont discuss my salary with my work colleagues as thats between myself and my boss. I get that professional sportsmen are more in the public eye, and get fans may speculate on what each player is on, but does anyone other than the club / player know anyones exact salary

if a club names player X as marquee publicly then the fans will likely deduce that they are on at least £150k to make it worth while
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:39 pm

He has.
I’m not saying he shouldn’t get paid but marquee but it must cause unrest with some of the players surely that a big wedge of the salary cap goes on one player.

I use to think the same before the salary cap that no one player is worth a significant amount compared to others.

I feel the same way about football but that sport just makes me very angry!
Marquee players isn’t supposed to be public. The issue is people disclosing what should be kept private.

Even before the marquee rule there were players on £150k+.