Money

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
boggart

Money

Post by boggart »

The pundits and commentators have already mentioned the cash involved in signing Dupree quite a lot. Today's Britain, I guess, the cost of everything, the value of nothing. If, or when, his form drops, which its bound to, I wonder how quickly this will become a stick to beat him with on 'Fan's Forum', or perhaps another mistake by our 'incompetent' management team. Another chance for subscriber's to show their legendary tolerance and balanced outlook. EDITOR: The last sentence is optional, take it out if you like.
Firestarter

Re: Money

Post by Firestarter »

I get what your saying but im not really buying i to this one.Matty has basically said that he can play his own game so none of this “ hes beentold to drop into the tackle” nonsense.Cant see matty saying it for the sake of it
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

boggart wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:27 pm The pundits and commentators have already mentioned the cash involved in signing Dupree quite a lot. Today's Britain, I guess, the cost of everything, the value of nothing. If, or when, his form drops, which its bound to, I wonder how quickly this will become a stick to beat him with on 'Fan's Forum', or perhaps another mistake by our 'incompetent' management team. Another chance for subscriber's to show their legendary tolerance and balanced outlook. EDITOR: The last sentence is optional, take it out if you like.
i'm not so sure with this one to be honest as it isnt like we have paid a world record fee for him, so there probably isnt that much expectation so to speak

if we had paid £1million for someone, then the expectations would be sky high, and you would think they'd also be earning top dollar (ie Offiah or Hanley). However, both of those delivered and some :)

Dupree, could poss be a starting prop next season, he may not be, but personally it wouldnt bother me that we have paid to get him in. The club / coaching team, have seen someone that they believe fits our style, and have gone after him, so i'm with the club on this one. However, if for example we paid a big fee for Thompson, who we know has had 12-18months of injury problems, then i could see there being far more discontent from a fans perspective
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Has the fee been announced? Or are pundits just talking their usual spam?
When Croft only has a 78k transfer fee I don't buy that Dupree would invite a massive one.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

£150k
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Don't think its enough to be a big deal to fans TBH, especially because it doesn't count on the cap and Danson's rumored inexhaustible wealth.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

It's probably a lot less than we received for Bateman.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:06 pm Don't think its enough to be a big deal to fans TBH, especially because it doesn't count on the cap and Danson's rumored inexhaustible wealth.
I love how IL hasn't left yet but any new signing people like is Danson. :lol:
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The comment on commentary about the money did jump out at me a bit; I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) that I didn't recall hearing mention of transfer fees much before. And as noted, it's not like this was a mega signing.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:15 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:06 pm Don't think its enough to be a big deal to fans TBH, especially because it doesn't count on the cap and Danson's rumored inexhaustible wealth.
I love how IL hasn't left yet but any new signing people like is Danson. :lol:
You really think Danson has had no input or has not agreed every one of the new signings given he’s already agreed to buy the club and will be in charge in just less than four months? Some of these signings are for four years so no one who has agreed to buy a club is going to let the soon to be former owner shape what will be the new owners team.

I’d be very surprised if IL had decided to shell out £170k (which is what I thought the fee was) to buy us all a parting gift of a prop. It’s much more likely to be Dansons cash IMO.

As to the original point at the start of the thread I don’t see why this will be any kind of milestone round the players neck. We were crying out for another prop and whoever paid the fee we got one. I think players who are signed who get the most flack are those who come with a big reputation but fail to deliver regardless of if a fee was paid or not.