RFL will be taken to court by ex players

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Barney841

Re: RFL will be taken to court by ex players

Post by Barney841 »

I honestly think these ex players are making fool of themselves.
Don’t get me wrong I feel for them for what they’re going through now, it must be awful.
But they need to remember why they played the sport in the first place, no one put a gun to their head to play.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

pedro wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:51 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:26 pm Hopefully the winners will be future generations of players who have improved health outcomes.
it wont be, young players now are still getting knocked out etc, its a hard sport
Improved, not perfect.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Mike wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:38 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:26 pm Hopefully the winners will be future generations of players who have improved health outcomes.
it wont be, young players now are still getting knocked out etc, its a hard sport
Improved, not perfect.
If you want even better health outcomes don't play contact sports (I would suggest snooker, darts, synchronised swimming etc.)

I will argue that the majority of people are attracted to a contact sport either as a participant or spectator because of the physicality/brutality. If you can make it safer that's one thing (headgear, padding etc.) but to fundamentally change the characteristics of that sport for example outlawing tackles below the waist; punishing ANY contact above the shoulders as in RL, well that's the death knell right there. Who wants to watch a load of blokes/women throwing a ball about?

Boxing and MMA are growing in popularity because ultimately most people want to see a bit of biff. Yes we want to see skill but I will wager that the majority of speccies love the aggression just as much.

When it 'kicks off ' that's when the crowd rises to it's feet and the excitement is palpable. Some people may say "we have moved on from that kind of thing" but we haven't really, that's what excites (most) of us if we are honest.

Yes, let people know of the dangers but at the end of the day surely it's about free will and remember, for the minority of ex players who are taking legal action the majority of ex players are grateful for the opportunities and experiences sport has given them even if ill health has been a consequence.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mickali1 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:45 am
If you want even better health outcomes don't play contact sports (I would suggest snooker, darts, synchronised swimming etc.)

I will argue that the majority of people are attracted to a contact sport either as a participant or spectator because of the physicality/brutality. If you can make it safer that's one thing (headgear, padding etc.) but to fundamentally change the characteristics of that sport for example outlawing tackles below the waist; punishing ANY contact above the shoulders as in RL, well that's the death knell right there. Who wants to watch a load of blokes/women throwing a ball about?

Boxing and MMA are growing in popularity because ultimately most people want to see a bit of biff. Yes we want to see skill but I will wager that the majority of speccies love the aggression just as much.

When it 'kicks off ' that's when the crowd rises to it's feet and the excitement is palpable. Some people may say "we have moved on from that kind of thing" but we haven't really, that's what excites (most) of us if we are honest.

Yes, let people know of the dangers but at the end of the day surely it's about free will and remember, for the minority of ex players who are taking legal action the majority of ex players are grateful for the opportunities and experiences sport has given them even if ill health has been a consequence.
Good post Mick. This especially.

Plus perhaps players should have to sign some sort of disclaimer, not sure if that’s the right terminology but I think you know what I mean.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:51 am

Good post Mick. This especially.

Plus perhaps players should have to sign some sort of disclaimer, not sure if that’s the right terminology but I think you know what I mean.
couldnt agree more, if they refuse there are 100's behind them waiting to take their place
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'd be doubtful if any 'disclaimer' would have any real legal weight.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:38 pm

Improved, not perfect.

That's definitely an option for people, and some do that. There's a US world record holding shot putter who didn't pursue NFL for exactly those reasons. Players should be in the position to know the risks, and to know to what extent the sport can mitigate those risks.

I'd say that the RFL is not doing a very good job of mitigating at the moment. Regardless of tackle height, which I think is probably a red herring, we constantly see clear head impacts in matches with players who even to the untrained eye are struggling to stand or walk properly for a few seconds, and yet allowed to playon with no HIA. The mere fact that clubs are being allowed to make calls about their own players is probably going to be a legal issue in the next 15-20 years. I can't understand why there is no independent doctor on hand to make those calls. Ideally, there should be a set of sensors on the player that trigger an automatic HIA if an impact is observed. Even if there's no concussion, a player should be withdrawn and held out for a specific time period based on those sensor readings. IMO its stuff like this that we need to do, and we very much aren't right now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well they have the 'independent doctor' rule in Australia, and we should have it here too.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:27 pm Well they have the 'independent doctor' rule in Australia, and we should have it here too.
My Apple watch goes off regularly warning me of excessive noise when I’m at the rugby! Surely there can be something installed on the gps thing the players have in their shirts that can alert a bad head knock?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I wouldn't have thought so, Josie. I don't think technology has got that far yet, and even if it had, it would hardly be in the skint sport of rugby league.