Sam Burgess takes over at Wolves

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ddtftf

Re: Sam Burgess takes over at Wolves

Post by ddtftf »

I also dislike Welsby and the whole Warrington and Leeds teams so I do wholesale hates
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Sam has left South’s.
Will he take over at the Wolves before the season is over?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Got rid of him quick didn't they? Either he's not popular or souths were annoyed about something surely.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:01 pm Got rid of him quick didn't they? Either he's not popular or souths were annoyed about something surely.
He's not the most pleasant of blokes his he. Expect fireworks and fallout at wire give him 3 months
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:40 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:01 pm Got rid of him quick didn't they? Either he's not popular or souths were annoyed about something surely.
He's not the most pleasant of blokes his he. Expect fireworks and fallout at wire give him 3 months
It’ll be a disaster akin to signing Greg Inglis Warrington don’t ever learn
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:32 pm Sam has left South’s.
I did put it on here but the post has either been deleted or moved. Can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Sam & another coach were sacked by South’s because they complained about preferential treatment of a couple of players. Latrell Mitchell being one.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Souths’ ‘smoke and mirrors’ busted as real reason behind Burgess’ ugly divorce revealed

South Sydney’s reasons behind the immediate departure of former assistant coach Sam Burgess has been labelled “smoke and mirrors” with the final moments of the club great since revealed

According to a Rabbitohs statement, Burgess walked out of his position to focus on his upcoming job at Warrington and the birth of his child, however Fox League’s James Hooper says it’s all “smoke and mirrors” with the real reason being laid bare on NRL 360.

“Make no mistake, there’s been a major fallout between Sam Burgess and Jason Demetriou. It’s been brewing in the background over the past couple of months,” Hooper said.

What happened today was that all of South Sydney’s club management and also all of the players were called into an emergency meeting first thing this morning at 7am and by 8am, Sammy Burgess was out the door. They hadn’t been able to resolve their differences.

“Russell Crowe got on the phone at one point and ended up hanging up on Sam Burgess. They weren’t able to find middle ground so as a result, Sam departs the club.”

Both Burgess and John Morris were in the firing line on Wednesday morning, however according to The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis, only Morris wished to “fall into line” at Souths.

John Morris remains at Souths until the end of this year before going to the Tigers. The question was put to them - can you two fall in line? Sam Burgess said no, John Morris said yes and he remains,” Carayannis said.

Souths have been a club under fire over the past few days. The play and effort of Latrell Mitchell have been called out after a horror performance against the Knights on Sunday.

The differing standards Demetriou has of Mitchell and Cody Walker compared to other players has caused friction in the side, especially with Burgess as Hooper explained.

The way it’s been explained to me is that Sam went to Jason Demetriou and aired the issues that he had around the playing group and the standards and he aired those quite openly to Demetriou and the other coaches,” Hooper said.

“Since Latrell Mitchell has returned from injury, there are a couple of things that Sam has spotted at training and in games that he wanted to call out.”

Carayannis added: “I don’t think Sunday was the breaking point of the relationship. This has been bubbling on in the background for the last couple of months.

“I don’t think all the travel Souths have done has helped them, cause they’ve been living in each other’s pockets for the last few months and that exposes cracks, particularly when you are losing.”

Carayannis also referenced the player-led standards or lack thereof that has frustrated Burgess during the Bunnies form slump.

“Are the standards good enough, and that comes back to what Sam Burgess’ angst has been,” Carayannis said.

“Are there enough players buying into what should be happening at South Sydney and that’s what stems from all the frustrations that Sam has developed over the last couple of months.

“He doesn’t believe the senior players are doing enough to drive the standards to a level that is high enough to win a premiership.”

NRL 360 co-host Braith Anasta asked Hooper whether the comments from Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly on Wednesday for why Burgess walked out on the club were genuine reasons.

Smoke and mirrors Braith, it’s a complete fairytale. Yes it is true that Sam has a young family which is about to get one more member and he is also taking on the head coaching position at Warrington,” Hooper said.

“When you strip it all back, this started a couple of months ago and Sam noticed some things around the Bunnies’ training standards, around their discipline in games, certainly around their defensive structures... He called all that out.

“Since it’s made its way into the media over the last 48 hours, that’s what has blown it all up and brought it to a head.

“I don’t think Jason Demetriou would have been unhappy to see the back of Sam Burgess.”

Anasta was curious to know if Burgess’ relationship with any of the players had deteriorated in addition to Demetriou.

“This is what I’m interested in. To me the players I speak too, he hasn’t ruffled feathers with, so he has he ruffled feathers with?” Anasta asked.

Hooper responded: “I would suggest given the reports, Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker wouldn’t have been too happy with the suggestions that Sam believed they ran the club, the standards had slipped and everyone had taken shortcuts.

Even after signing on to coach Warrington in the Super League from 2024, there was a belief that Burgess could return after a stint in the UK and coach in the NRL at Souths.

Most would rule out that possibility after the events of today, but Hooper thinks it certainly still could happen.

“I don’t think this is the last we’re going to see of Sam Burgess in the NRL, he’s going to be back,” Hooper said.

“I have no question if things go pear-shaped at South Sydney, as they have this season, I think the next head coach at the Rabbitohs will be Sam Burgess and it could be as early as 2025 if things don’t go according to script.”

Souths have lost four of their past 12 matches, and have slipped to eighth spot on the ladder. They will need to beat arch-rivals the Roosters in the last round to play finals footy.

In a season full of surprises and upsets, the Rabbitohs missing the eight would be the biggest of them all, with Hooper likening it to the horrific collapse of the Broncos last season to miss the finals.

“This is a more spectacular collapse than whem the Broncos missed the eight last year. They were on top of the competition after Round 11,” Hooper opined.

“And now Sam Burgess, who is out and out red and green royalty and only bought in as an assistant in August last year, is out the door.”

Former rugby league great Ben Elias was incredulous with what occured at the Rabbitohs, believing Burgess has a right to feel “insulted”.

“Obviously what’s happened, with two games to go, to be asked to leave the place is disgusting, insulting and terrible. There’s no two ways about it,” Elias said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a24fa2b67d
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:52 am
Barney841 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:32 pm Sam has left South’s.
I did put it on here but the post has either been deleted or moved. Can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Sam & another coach were sacked by South’s because they complained about preferential treatment of a couple of players. Latrell Mitchell being one.
No wonder there is unrest at the club.
Sometimes it can work but a lot of the times it doesn’t
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Burgess does NOT have the qualifications required to coach in Super League

Former Leeds Rhinos and Castleford Tigers boss Daryl Powell is being replaced by Sam Burgess as Warrington Wolves boss.

It is a huge gamble but an even bigger name with Burgess arguably the best British player in the 21st Century and an icon down under.

But he has only been an NRL assistant coach for one year at South Sydney Rabbitohs

He is now headed to Super League but now the Sydney Morning Herald has revealed that he doesn’t have the qualifications required of a Super League coach but he will take the required level three soon.

Burgess will join the Wire for the 2024 Super League season having agreed a two-year contract.

Following his retirement from a decorated playing career in 2019, Burgess has transitioned into the coaching set-up at South Sydney Rabbitohs, currently working as an Assistant Coach for the NRL side.

Burgess is one of the most renowned and respected leaders in the global game. The former England captain famously led the Rabbitohs to the 2014 NRL title, being awarded the Clive Churchill Medal despite suffering a broken cheekbone in the opening minute.

He represented England and Great Britain on 26 occasions during his playing career and captained the national team to the World Cup Final in 2017 under the stewardship of Wayne Bennett.

As part of the review of the Rugby department, Gary Chambers will be promoted to Director of Rugby. He will have an overarching responsibility for the Rugby department from first team downwards.

Chambers will remain in interim charge for the remainder of the 2023 season before taking up the new role.

Richard Marshall will remain as Assistant Coach with a further update about a second Assistant to be announced in due course.

Sam Burgess said: “I’m pleased to confirm I will take on the role of Head Coach at the Warrington Wolves for seasons 24/25.

From playing in the Super League to having the opportunity to lead an incredible club, it’s a full circle moment and one I am fully committed to and excited by.

“I want to thank Simon [Moran], Stuart [Middleton] and Karl [Fitzpatrick] at the Wolves for their courage and collaboration, as I look forward to returning to England to coach this great club.

“To Russell [Crowe], Blake [Solly], JD [Demetriou] and the stakeholders at South Sydney, thank you for supporting me in taking on this new position. We still have an opportunity to play some great football for the remainder of the year and to do so alongside our current staff and squad, is my focus.”

Warrington Wolves Chairman Stuart Middleton added: “We’re thrilled to have Sam join us as our new Head Coach.

“He is an impressive, young and determined coach with a huge reputation within the sport.

“He was a leader for both club and country at the highest level throughout his playing career and is extremely well-driven to now make his mark as a coach in Super League.

The ambition he has for the club and the culture he wants to instil really impressed and stood out for us during the interview process. We firmly believe he is the right man to take the club forward.

“We’re delighted also that Gary [Chambers] has agreed to become the club’s Director of Rugby.

“As part of our review of the rugby operations we feel this new role will be strategically integral to both the short and long term vision of the club.

Gary’s expertise and knowledge of the game, matched by his passion for the club, makes him the perfect fit. He is hugely respected by the players, staff and fans and I’m excited for him to lead the club forward alongside Sam in this next chapter.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/revealed ... gue-81466/