Re-vamped Challenge Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

Re-vamped Challenge Cup

Post by Charriots Offiah »

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-27592339

Any thoughts? It doesn’t look a money spinner to me.
fozzieskem

Re: Re-vamped Challenge Cup

Post by fozzieskem »

What a mess a cup competition is that a knockout comp,not a round robin let's all make sure everyone get go nonsense proposed by the balloons of IMG for me SL clubs should go in much earlier though and let the chips fall where they may, probably in a SL landslide but at least it'd give the minnows a payday
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Don’t like it don’t agree with it!

I can see me packing in with RL the mess they are making of it. Why keep changing things to suit somebody’s ideas who know nothing about the game
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Adds more games I suppose, but now we've started cherry picking and rejected dropping the extra league fixtures this proposal makes no sense. This is why you have to go with an overall strategic plan, where perhaps some parts are compromises, but the whole is an improvement. You can't pick the bits you like otherwise the whole plan is a waste of time. I think IMG will withdraw shortly due to this.

Not sure about the group games. Its not what we've had before, but the CC is a bit like a 3 match competition for SL teams. You can get to the semis without playing anyone good these days, so the competition isn't really about SL teams, its more about lower leagues getting some income by drawing a SL side before getting knocked out. I think the playing field was slightly more level a few decades ago when the Div 1 teams came in earlier, but maybe not. It definitely an easier comp to win than it used to be for the top teams and some of the magic has gone for me. So perhaps it is time for a change? Personally I'm not sure, but the suggestion of groups doesn't particularly make me angry.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

josie andrews wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:01 pm Don’t like it don’t agree with it!

I can see me packing in with RL the mess they are making of it. Why keep changing things to suit somebody’s ideas who know nothing about the game
You won't Josie and neither will I but it is frustrating.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

It’s a weird solution to a problem that doesn’t exist IMO.

The Challenge Cup has the prestige & history in our game, that deep down all clubs want to win it, so why change the format?

Only thing I can think of is it’s a way to drum up more money following the smaller sky deal. If so who would benefit?

Not sure what to make of the current crop of clowns at the top…
Charriots Offiah

Mike wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:40 pm Adds more games I suppose, but now we've started cherry picking and rejected dropping the extra league fixtures this proposal makes no sense. This is why you have to go with an overall strategic plan, where perhaps some parts are compromises, but the whole is an improvement. You can't pick the bits you like otherwise the whole plan is a waste of time. I think IMG will withdraw shortly due to this.

Not sure about the group games. Its not what we've had before, but the CC is a bit like a 3 match competition for SL teams. You can get to the semis without playing anyone good these days, so the competition isn't really about SL teams, its more about lower leagues getting some income by drawing a SL side before getting knocked out. I think the playing field was slightly more level a few decades ago when the Div 1 teams came in earlier, but maybe not. It definitely an easier comp to win than it used to be for the top teams and some of the magic has gone for me. So perhaps it is time for a change? Personally I'm not sure, but the suggestion of groups doesn't particularly make me angry.
I think you are right Mike, IMG won’t be around long if SL clubs continue to veto proposals. Whilst I don’t agree with the CC idea we need to give their ideas a go. I wonder what the players think.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:02 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:40 pm Adds more games I suppose, but now we've started cherry picking and rejected dropping the extra league fixtures this proposal makes no sense. This is why you have to go with an overall strategic plan, where perhaps some parts are compromises, but the whole is an improvement. You can't pick the bits you like otherwise the whole plan is a waste of time. I think IMG will withdraw shortly due to this.

I think you are right Mike, IMG won’t be around long if SL clubs continue to veto proposals. Whilst I don’t agree with the CC idea we need to give their ideas a go. I wonder what the players think.
IMG haven't offered a single proposal that's new all that's happening is we are going back to licensing and they seem hell bent on getting rid of the magic weekend a banker to bring 65 k to the ground,all the fluff and nonsense over the grading is just that fluff and nonsense we all know who spends money and who doesn't I feel they should be offering insights into the social media side of things for sure and yes offer opinions on the structure but no way should they be given the keys to the kingdom
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:30 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:02 pm

IMG haven't offered a single proposal that's new all that's happening is we are going back to licensing and they seem hell bent on getting rid of the magic weekend a banker to bring 65 k to the ground,all the fluff and nonsense over the grading is just that fluff and nonsense we all know who spends money and who doesn't I feel they should be offering insights into the social media side of things for sure and yes offer opinions on the structure but no way should they be given the keys to the kingdom
If all you wanted was a social media intern then you're not setting your sights very high are you. What new idea did you expect? If you can't think of the new idea its likely it doeant exist. What we need is a solid, consist schedule with the right balance of show piece events, broadcasting, the right number of games, player development and an established pathway for new investment to being in new sides. Nothing is going to change things overnight with one great idea that no one has thought of, that's unrealistic.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

it sounds like a s*** champions league, play a couple of qualifiers to get into it, then play a league, and then onto the knock out stages. The dfference being, that the CL is worth billions

sorry, but i dont like the sounds of this one

For me, the challenge cup, should be all clubs in the hat from round X (maybe a couple of preliminary rounds), and if we draw Saints, then so beit, if an amateur club goes further because they get a favourable drawer, thats the whole beauty of a knock out cup competition.

what they should be looking at is how they get attendances at all grounds for the cup games. i'd start with a £10 ticket limit for example, it may not work, but its currently not working for most games outside of a season ticket. I dont know what the gates receipt split is for cup games, but perhaps try and incentivise the away team i.e. all ticket revenue for away team goes to the away team. We need to be filling grounds for cup games, as they currently look shocking on TV with virtually no fans in attendance