Easter Monday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mikey

Easter Monday

Post by mikey »

I predict this will be Basils last game in charge.With Bradford,Wakey,Scum away at best you can only see the trip to wakefield as a 2 pointer.Another home defeat against Quinns would surely alert Mr Whelan.Even a win in the cup would not paper over the cracks.With 10 games played and only 4 pts and Lyndsay already given sanctuary on the blue side lets see WHELAN show him the door.
GeoffN

Re: Easter Monday

Post by GeoffN »

mikey posted:
I predict this will be Basils last game in charge.With Bradford,Wakey,Scum away at best you can only see the trip to wakefield as a 2 pointer.Another home defeat against Quinns would surely alert Mr Whelan.Even a win in the cup would not paper over the cracks.With 10 games played and only 4 pts and Lyndsay already given sanctuary on the blue side lets see WHELAN show him the door.
which will have exactly the same effect as sacking our last 10 coaches did.

I was one of the few on here who argued against sacking Betts, and for the same reasons. I didn't agree with a lot of Denis's decisions, and I don't agree with a lot of Millward's...but it's been proved over and over again that sacking the coach is not a "cure-all".
Whoever you see as his replacement, and whatever their credentials...we've had very many coaches (and players) that have come with glowing reputations, (including I.M.) only to fail - or at least not to achieve instant success.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

mikey posted:
Come on it is unlikely (not impossible!) but unlikely we are going to sack him for a few very simple reasons:-
1. we dont want to pay him off in full.
2. There is no one else avaliable.
3. his reputation as a winner.
4. He hasnt been in charge long enough although some may debate this one.
5. The Barrett deal still isnt confirmed and this will help the team immeasurably.
Am i happy about this no, can i see a quick turn around no, do i agree with his onfield decisions no but if i am asked if he will get it right eventually the answer is a probable yes.
PS. sorry for the spelling i have had to contend with a flat pack that has forced me to the drink at least for the night.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Something eats our club like a cancer. Players no longer have the attitude that set them apart during the last glorious era. For all the so called advantages, those players had a winning attitude, they were incredibly tough mentally and could withstand enormous pressure because they were driven on by the fear of failure. That has been lost. Young, old players no longer feel it within the club.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

He's not going anywhere they'll keep him no matter what. Another reason to add to the above list is that they won't want to admit that they were wrong.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!