Tonight's Game/Wigan squad for Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
w.thomas

Re: Tonight's Game/Wigan squad for Catalans

Post by w.thomas »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:30 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:46 pm Fantastic game and a great performance from Adam Keighran, can't wait to watch him next season
Keighran was awful defensively I'd much rather have kept King.
Totally agree, not sure what people see in him, not been impressed in the games I’ve seen him in. He certainly won’t return the ball like king does. He can kick a conversion though so there is that. Finally we look like a team that’s not going to get rolled over, all the forwards were quality. Really impressed with that result and hopefully we can kick on from it. Fingers crossed we don’t lose Dupree for next week due to a HIA late in the game.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Never expected that!! Cracking result.
Shame I’m at work and can’t watch it.
Lad I know when to watch Barrow vs Toulouse, thought he’d gone to watch the Wigan game. Bet he wished he had!!! Get in there!!!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:13 pm
The Pearl1 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:11 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:09 pm

Micky Mac! Who has turned into a right dirty player IMO
Hahaha he’s always been dirty, we just used to love it as he played for us!

Great win, what a statement.

Harry Smith kicked them to death.
Not as dirty as he is now!
Did you see Dupree laughing at him with a "are you ***** serious?" look? About time we had a prop like that. It was like watching a heavyweight vs a lightweight.

Sorry Mr Mac, but if you try to toe to toe it with him, you are getting sparked out.

Anyway what a great performance. Total effort and application. Well done Wigan.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Outstanding performance
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Many memorable moments, but the two that will live on in my memory were the hits by KPP (1st half) and Liam Byrne (2nd half). Talk about a "statement of intent".

Hits like that rattle the opposition and galvanise the team.

Miski my MoM - for his try-saving tackle as well as his tries.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Brilliant performance.

100% effort from all. Have to say it but Byrne was terrific. He was getting knocked by folk on here but after being rested for a couple of weeks he's come back with much improved games and tonight he was great. His hit tackle late on meant Catalans would be nilled.

Also Harry Smith surely must have proved he's the best field kicker in SL. He kicked them to death all night and with great chases pinned them back all game.

Well done to all, players, coaching staff and S & C.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:34 pm
moto748 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:50 pm Was watching in the pub; I was the only one watching it (no commentary). With Wigan nilling them and 15 mins left, I thought I'd go home and listen to the radio commentary at the end. But there's nothing, as far as I can see, :evil:

How good has Miski been?
I watched the first half in the pub. Got home intending to watch the second half and found that Sky had switched channels and tennis had been recorded! Not a happy bunny.
Heh, that's even worse than me, Charriots! :D Although I did miss Wardle's try. Albeit it wasn't the prettiest anyway. Like I said, I'll look forward to watching it back; I thought we were terrific in all departments. And also, can I say, the lack of coverage? Not a mention that the game was even being played on the Beeb's RL page, even hours after the final whistle. Sky Sports weren't exactly alert either, but at least they have a match report up now.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Still nothing on the BBC website, even the bloody Guardian have a match report! :evil:
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

A really good performance from the whole team. We looked on it from the start whereas Catalans clearly had an off day. It does seem like this season there's not much separating quite a few teams in terms of quality but it's rare to see two evenly matched sides play well at the same time.

French and Smith were outstanding but you also have to credit the pack for dominating throughout and allowing us to play where we wanted to play.

The arrival of Dupree, the huge improvement in Mago's form and Byrne looking to have recovered from the knocks he's suffered has made our pack a lot stronger than anyone probably expected a few months ago when we were didn't have much to offer down the middle except Havard and Ellis. We're looking a much tougher proposition now.

I also loved Farrell stopping Tomkins from being able to chirp in the refs ear every time a call went against them. At one point he put himself in between them like he was Liam Moore's bodyguard and wouldn't let Sam get around him to have his say. It was entertaining watching him get more and more frustrated.
PJC

Post by PJC »

No mention the BBC main news sports coverage…..why not ?