What if ...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

What if ...

Post by morley pie eater »

OK, I know I shouldn't do it, but what if tonight's results go our way?
That means we beat Salford and Rovers beat Cats.

Bookies odds have us odds on at 2/7, or around a 75% chance. Hull KR at 9/5 equates to 33%. But for both to happen it's around 25% or 1 chance in 4 (odds of 3/1).

So accepting it's unlikely, here's how the top 3 would look:

1. Wigan . . . . .34 points
2. Catalans . . .34 points
3. Saints . . . . . 32 points (game in hand).

Just a couple of weeks ago we were speculating on our chances of finishing second, with broad agreement that first was extremely unlikely. Just shows how unpredictable things can be. :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Re: What if ...

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Stop it MPE.

Four wins and we will have a home semi-final, only one team has won at the DW this season (Catalans) so the odds on us getting to Old Trafford are good (I will leave you to do the maths). Regarding Catalans I think, like us, they have some tricky games. Their confidence will have been dented as a consequence of last weekend's result so it will be interesting to see how they react. We just need to look after ourselves.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:08 am Stop it MPE.

Four wins and we will have a home semi-final, only one team has won at the DW this season (Catalans) so the odds on us getting to Old Trafford are good (I will leave you to do the maths). Regarding Catalans I think, like us, they have some tricky games. Their confidence will have been dented as a consequence of last weekend's result so it will be interesting to see how they react. We just need to look after ourselves.
Yes stop it! It annoys me when fans start singing "we are in the final" or whatever the chant is. It’s tempting fate IMO.

Leeds have won here this season in May. I wasn’t well during this game & had to go home before half time! Felt even worse when I saw the result🥴
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

A big test today will be whether the team takes this match as seriously as the Cats game. This is the time of the season where every game requires our full attention and commitment. This is when you build a winning run into the final. In mid-season I was defending our losses to teams like Wakefield etc because IMO there's not realistic way to remain at the required intensity level for a whole season, and mid-season dips in form are ultimately a good thing. That only works if the dips in intensity haven't become a habit. I didn't hold the odd loss against the coaching team a month ago, but now I will. If we lose form between now and the end of the season, I think that shows that Peet and the team are not up to the job. It happened last year, lets hope they learn from those mistakes.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:29 pm A big test today will be whether the team takes this match as seriously as the Cats game. This is the time of the season where every game requires our full attention and commitment. This is when you build a winning run into the final.
I agree, the same level of performance is required this week as last particularly as any slip ups will potentially deny us a home tie in the playoffs.
In mid-season I was defending our losses to teams like Wakefield etc because IMO there's not realistic way to remain at the required intensity level for a whole season, and mid-season dips in form are ultimately a good thing. That only works if the dips in intensity haven't become a habit. I didn't hold the odd loss against the coaching team a month ago, but now I will. If we lose form between now and the end of the season, I think that shows that Peet and the team are not up to the job. It happened last year, lets hope they learn from those mistakes.
They didn't lose mid-season games because of lack of intensity but because they played badly. Mid season dips in form are ultimately a good thing? I have read it all now. You are excusing poor play here as if it was some sort of master plan to look clueless come up with loads of penalties and mistakes. I do agree however that going as we did last season from now on in and in the playoffs will reflect badly on the coaching staff. If we do, it will show the earlier season losses are just par for the course of an inconsistent team. Now is the time to eradicate inconsistency.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:35 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:29 pm A big test today will be whether the team takes this match as seriously as the Cats game. This is the time of the season where every game requires our full attention and commitment. This is when you build a winning run into the final.
I agree, the same level of performance is required this week as last particularly as any slip ups will potentially deny us a home tie in the playoffs.
In mid-season I was defending our losses to teams like Wakefield etc because IMO there's not realistic way to remain at the required intensity level for a whole season, and mid-season dips in form are ultimately a good thing. That only works if the dips in intensity haven't become a habit. I didn't hold the odd loss against the coaching team a month ago, but now I will. If we lose form between now and the end of the season, I think that shows that Peet and the team are not up to the job. It happened last year, lets hope they learn from those mistakes.
They didn't lose mid-season games because of lack of intensity but because they played badly. Mid season dips in form are ultimately a good thing? I have read it all now. You are excusing poor play here as if it was some sort of master plan to look clueless come up with loads of penalties and mistakes. I do agree however that going as we did last season from now on in and in the playoffs will reflect badly on the coaching staff. If we do, it will show the earlier season losses are just par for the course of an inconsistent team. Now is the time to eradicate inconsistency.
I think we're on the same page apart from my contention that you can only peak 2 or possibly 3 times in a season so you'd better ramp up the intensity when it really counts and not waste it when it doesn't. You on the other hand believe consistently being at your very best is achievable? It's irrelevant here I suppose because we both agree slip ups at this stage are not acceptable.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

I consider myself thoroughly reprimanded (it's like being back at school!)
I would point out, in mitigation, that I accepted it was unlikely that both results would go our way, and concluded by saying "Just shows how unpredictable things can be."

Btw, with just an hour and a half to kick-off, odds on a Rovers* win have shortened to 6/4, and they're being given just 2.5 points start.

[* I use the term "Rovers" as my son lives in/around Hull and that's how they're referred to - never as "KR". Hull are simply "FC".]
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I agreee Morley. We could easily be top of the pile tonight. KR still reeling from that cup final loss pasted Leigh last week so could go well against Catalans at home.

We on the other hand at home against Salford should cross the finish line, and with the superior GD we have a good chance of standing on the ladder looking down at the labourers come 21:45 BST
morley pie eater

Brennox7 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:26 pm I agreee Morley. We could easily be top of the pile tonight. KR still reeling from that cup final loss pasted Leigh last week so could go well against Catalans at home.

We on the other hand at home against Salford should cross the finish line, and with the superior GD we have a good chance of standing on the ladder looking down at the labourers come 21:45 BST
Thank you for that vote of confidence 😁

I may have my knockers (!!) but just come through that HKR have won and WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!

Na na na na na! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Welski

Post by Welski »

Didn’t like to hit ‘post’ yesterday’ but I’ve had a feeling and a shed load of cash on us wing the LLS so come on!!!!
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League