Wigan Forwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fan4Fifty

Wigan Forwards

Post by Fan4Fifty »

One of the more remarkable features of winning the LLS this season is that it has been done with a pack of forwards the bulk of which is aged 24 or under. Byrne, Havard, Smithies, Dupree, KPP, Hill, Nsemba, O'Neill have all played a significant part in the success to date. I think the average age of these 8 forwards is 21 or 22. Next season won't be much different with Walters replacing KPP and Chan joining. Even Ellis and Mago are not 'old' by forward criteria at 27/28.

Yes, we have our older heads in Farrell, Powell, Isa, Cooper but I think huge credit must go the maturity, fitness, togetherness and application of this young pack. Let's hope the bulk of them can stay together.
Brennox7

Re: Wigan Forwards

Post by Brennox7 »

Top shout here mate. Wouldn’t know unless you have a proper think about the age of our players.

Wardle, Smith, O’Neill, Byrne, Havard, Dupree, Walters, Smithies all under 24 years old. And they should all be looking at a starting jumper!
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Apologies, neglected to include Joe Shorrocks too!!
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

A number of them have been impressive but I’d pick out Smithies and O’Neill for particular praise. They’ve been so consistent throughout the whole season and they lead that middle unit in the effort areas, which is pretty amazing at 21 and 22 years of age. They’ll have some job on in the play offs against more experienced opponents but they’re made of the right stuff.
boggart

Post by boggart »

I guess its not the job of a modern loose forward, in Super League anyway, but I think if Morgan Smithies could learn some ball handling expertise, he'd be a truly tremendous player. Perhaps when he gets a bit older and his engine starts to leak a bit of oil.
doc

Post by doc »

He has been used far more in that role this season, as has Shorrocks and Ollie Partington at Salford.