Saturday games!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
PJC

Re: Saturday games!!

Post by PJC »

To mickali1…..I’m sure that nobody else will ever read this so there’ll be no comment but I much prefer the season as it was. I actually enjoyed the games in winter especially over Christmas.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The move to summer rugby is in my opinion what has killed off the international game as in tours and no proper tours ultimately has reduced the standing of the international game.

The seasons are now in sync with the Aussies still playing in their winter.

When they were out of sync a touring international side could go over for a proper tour. Play several club matches and a three test series which would be fitted in around the regular season of the host country. The fact the touring international side was away for weeks with this format was possible because it was their off season.

What the seasons being out of sync also allowed was players doing a short stint in Australia (or NRL players doing one here) in the off season. That way we got to see top flight Aussie players like Kenny and Sterling the likes of who these days will never come to play here in their prime.

If that was possible we might also find it easier to hold onto players ourselves who can go the other way and boost their earnings and experience the NRL without leaving their U.K. club permanently.

Some would argue that mean no off-season (a complaint made back then also) but they managed it before and I am sure it could be done again if the will was there.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Even if we went back to winter rugby, the NRL would never allow these days their players to swan off to SL in the close season. Aussie winters are more akin to our summers, sure, you got some great games in the mud, but league sparkles on fast, dry pitches. I'm happy to leave the mud (as far as possible) to the Union fans. And I'm sure most fans agree.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Whatever anyone says you couldn’t beat turning up on a bright but cold Boxing Day to watch Wigan play St .Helens.
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Then more often than not, shake off the hangover just in time to watch us play Wire on NYD.