Wigan squad for Huddersfield (R11)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ipinwigan

Re: Wigan squad for Huddersfield (R11)

Post by Ipinwigan »

Bob the Builder wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:06 pm Not to add a downer, but what exactly does Kaide Ellis add to our team as a loose forward? Before you respond, please think about some of the world class loose forwards we have had. We have a back three of Farrell (past his best) next second rower {inexperienced / undecided) and Ellis at lock (ineffective in attack). This is gonna bite us in the bum.
I think we are just going for size, props all over the place, bit like Bradford of about 20 years ago.
I thought Ellis was ok today, but not a passing 13 of the past.
Flash

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:04 pm
Graham1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:52 pm Our attack is non existent. We only play one man rugby. Bevan and Smith doesn’t work. We need a new attack coach. Can only see a lose here
That's jobs for the boys for you 8-)
48-6 final score, top of the league with a game in hand, best points difference, WCC in the bag, CC semi final to come and reigning champions and league leaders title holders.

Is that also jobs for the boys for you? 8-)
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Enjoyable trip, glad I went now! And I didn't even have to pay the Yorkshire Tax fora ticket, cos a Very Nice Woman gave me a ticket for free! Complimentary tickets from the Women's game. We really were so poor in that first half, though. Two fortunate interceptions, and a terrible try conceded.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Flash wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:20 pm
Graham1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:52 pm Our attack is non existent. We only play one man rugby. Bevan and Smith doesn’t work. We need a new attack coach. Can only see a lose here
48-6 final score, top of the league with a game in hand, best points difference, WCC in the bag, CC semi final to come and reigning champions and league leaders title holders.

My thoughts exactly, Flash.

I only read through this thread after the game. The "let's panic and slag players off" after 5, 10 or 20 minutes gets my goat. We won by a country mile - yes there were mistakes, but if being a fan means posting that the end of the world is nigh a few minutes into a match, then I give up. They should try looking up the word "supporter" in a dictionary.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Always a good trip to Huddersfield.Poor first half and great second half.Think our forwards were saving themselves till next week.Not happy about our usual free parking space.Its now parking permits only so it had to be near the canal near the yorkshire rose.Great day though as always and if out forwards turn up v KR we will be ok imo.Fans were fantastic away as per.More weekend rugby please 🙏
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I said to my son at half time that no way we would get past KR next week and then in the last quarter we ran riot but we cannot afford to leave 4 or 5 tries out on the field next week, we won't get so many chances to redeem ourselves.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:40 pm
Flash wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:20 pm

My thoughts exactly, Flash.

I only read through this thread after the game. The "let's panic and slag players off" after 5, 10 or 20 minutes gets my goat. We won by a country mile - yes there were mistakes, but if being a fan means posting that the end of the world is nigh a few minutes into a match, then I give up. They should try looking up the word "supporter" in a dictionary.
No panic, just that Byrne is a liability that we can't afford to keep playing.
After last night's Cas v Stains game and the Makinson send off, Byrne could easily have been sent off.
His tackling technique isn't good enough.
He cost us at Stains and could have cost us in this one.
Harvie Hill is much more reliable.
Next week we have to be squeeky clean.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Say what you want, Bryne is our worst forward yet gets picked to start every week. First half crap second half much better. Good win but I’m not sure everything is clicking as a team, look a bit flat and lacking ideas in attack bar individual brilliance (French) don’t think the forwards have done that well either, Dupree had one of his more poor games . Mago taken off, let’s hope he’s not injured for next week as he’s one of the few forwards that can make good yards in contact. Can’t lie I’m worried about next week, the discipline and missed tackles needs to be sorted out before next week or we are in trouble.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Hi all, don’t post much but check in regularly - keep up the good work 👍

Just a note on Byrne, please don’t be sharpening the pitchforks just yet. All our props offer something slightly different, Havard & Thompson big minutes, with Mago & Dupree high impact off the bench. Byrnes is arguably aggressive defence and exceptional line speed, which from one of our middles is invaluable, especially since we no longer have the likes of Smithies or before him McIlorum in our squad.

Yes he needs to sort his tackling technique out, especially for our starting prop, but if he does get it right he is one heck of a presence in the middle of the pitch to take the sting out of the opposing attack.

Think we will blitz KR next week 👍
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Couldn’t go weekend games are a no go for us but sounds like a decent win will watch the game later
The artist formally known as fozziekskem