Wigan squad for Huddersfield (R11)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wigan squad for Huddersfield (R11)

Post by medlocke »

:D
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:51 pm To many unforced errors, but Moore is hammering us when both teams are doing the same.

I don’t want to see players being sent from the field, but if Byrne’s was a yellow, the high tackle by English had to be the same. Then Ash Golding, as the defender he can’t tackle stood upright and make any contact with DuPree’s head whether accidental of not.
That's all changed now, obviously. Good of the refs to let us know... :cry:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Those posting about why we start so poorly - have you ever considered the opposition being fully fresh and making maximum effort might be something to do with it? It's definitely harder to break down a fresh, motivated side in the first 20 than it is against a tired pressured side in the last 20. Games often go like this.

But anyway, clearly French doesn't work at 6 and w e have to change the coach... :D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bob the Builder wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:06 pm Not to add a downer, but what exactly does Kaide Ellis add to our team as a loose forward? Before you respond, please think about some of the world class loose forwards we have had. We have a back three of Farrell (past his best) next second rower {inexperienced / undecided) and Ellis at lock (ineffective in attack). This is gonna bite us in the bum.
He played a lot today at prop 😊 he is a different type of loose than what we are used to, ie Lockers, Farrell, Hanley. Now Bateman was never a LF IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Think Ellis has done well all season long quite what people expect I’m not sure but for me he’s gone well
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Welski

Post by Welski »

Mike wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:41 pm Those posting about why we start so poorly - have you ever considered the opposition being fully fresh and making maximum effort might be something to do with it? It's definitely harder to break down a fresh, motivated side in the first 20 than it is against a tired pressured side in the last 20. Games often go like this.

But anyway, clearly French doesn't work at 6 and w e have to change the coach... :D
I love French and always have thought he is one of the most gifted players we’ve had in a while, but there is something not quite right at the moment imo. It should work but seems clunky I don’t have the knowledge to suggest a fix but unless French does something off the cuff we look a little disjointed. First to second half comparison summed it up better than I could.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Thought Nsemba and Leeming were superb. French MoM, hmm some poor decision making but came very good in the end so fair one.

Byrne lucky not to see red.

Its a puzzler how bad we are starting, yes teams are fresh and are not going to lir down but its things we can control that are awry - kicking, poor decisions and weak tackling make for a tough first half.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

According to the SL website, Bevan missed 9 tackles. That's a lot. But two tries, two try assists, 7 tackle busts, 221m...
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Thompson was very solid and we definitely saw the best and worst of french.All the blokes in the toilets at HT were saying how poor french had been and how he was a fantastic player but not a stand off.He was fantastic second half but definitely needs to combine better when the going is tough.I also thought field was brilliant considering he was well marked.If we can start welland lead early against KR then i see no problems but we will defo need a good first 40 off the pack and bevan
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:28 pm Second half masterclass again, just need to be smarter in the first half of games, cut out the errors and penalties.
I agree. We need to be more conservative in the first half of matches and take the petrol out of the tank of the opposition. In addition, I am looking for better line speed and improved contact in defence as well.