Wigan squad for Huddersfield (R11)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Wigan squad for Huddersfield (R11)

Post by Wiganer Ted »

That was an outstanding win.
Half time 6-12, 60 mins 6-24, full time 6-48. Those scores tell us where this Wigan squad are at IMO.
Can do the tough stuff early, then when bodies are tiring our fast men are let loose.
No co-incidence that on the hottest day of the year so far French and Field were at their devastating best.

For next week I'd expect us to be without Liam Byrne. So available props are Thompson, Dupree, Mago, Havard, Cooper and Hill. Second row will be Farrell & Nsemba with Ellis at 13 so if needs be he can also play prop. No doubt Leeming will be off the bench. The backs select themselves.
Can't see MP's 17 much different to that!

Another fast dry track would help, most of all though is to try and keep 13 on the field for the full 80 mins!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:09 pm
Mike wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:41 pm Those posting about why we start so poorly - have you ever considered the opposition being fully fresh and making maximum effort might be something to do with it? It's definitely harder to break down a fresh, motivated side in the first 20 than it is against a tired pressured side in the last 20. Games often go like this.
The issues early on in games seem to.me to have little to do with the opposition but just poor play by Wigan.

I am sure if someone looked at the stats it would show a high error count such and penalty count in the first half of recent games.

While teams can force errors onto the the other side I really don't think that is what is happening here and Byrne's sin bin is a good example of the stupid unforced errors.
Keep it simple and tight in the first half and we won’t lose many games. Top teams always show their class in the second half.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:21 pm Hi all, don’t post much but check in regularly - keep up the good work 👍

Just a note on Byrne, please don’t be sharpening the pitchforks just yet. All our props offer something slightly different, Havard & Thompson big minutes, with Mago & Dupree high impact off the bench. Byrnes is arguably aggressive defence and exceptional line speed, which from one of our middles is invaluable, especially since we no longer have the likes of Smithies or before him McIlorum in our squad.

Yes he needs to sort his tackling technique out, especially for our starting prop, but if he does get it right he is one heck of a presence in the middle of the pitch to take the sting out of the opposing attack.

Think we will blitz KR next week 👍
Fully agree, well said.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:22 pm
Gerrumonside wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:21 pm Hi all, don’t post much but check in regularly - keep up the good work 👍

Just a note on Byrne, please don’t be sharpening the pitchforks just yet. All our props offer something slightly different, Havard & Thompson big minutes, with Mago & Dupree high impact off the bench. Byrnes is arguably aggressive defence and exceptional line speed, which from one of our middles is invaluable, especially since we no longer have the likes of Smithies or before him McIlorum in our squad.

Yes he needs to sort his tackling technique out, especially for our starting prop, but if he does get it right he is one heck of a presence in the middle of the pitch to take the sting out of the opposing attack.

Think we will blitz KR next week 👍
Fully agree, well said.
I agree we will blitz KR next week and there are no pitchforks out for Byrne.I just genuinely believe that Hill is a better prop
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Reading this thread with a lot of interest. I liked Leeming and O'Neil on the pitch together too. I think Ellis has been fine really at 13. And we have other options there; we can send in O'Neil, or Mago, short-term. Hill looks more confident each week, and I agree that should be above Byrne in the pecking order. The point about the weather is well made too; let's hope for sunshine in Doncaster!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Just watching the full game back. For the first time ever, actually saw myself quite clearly on TV in the crowd. I thought, hang on, I'm sure that woman with the long blonde hair was sitting right in front of me! :)