Liam Byrne receives suspension ahead of Challenge Cup semi-final showdown

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Liam Byrne receives suspension ahead of Challenge Cup semi-final showdown

Post by medlocke »

No doubt this will make some people happy, we should all getting behind the boys like
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

There wasn’t all this moaning about Byrne last year when he was playing the majority of last season, through the pain barrier I may add, on his own through suspensions & injuries to other players!

Short memories spring to mind 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:07 pm There wasn’t all this moaning about Byrne last year when he was playing the majority of last season, through the pain barrier I may add, on his own through suspensions & injuries to other players!

Short memories spring to mind 🤨
Never been a fan of his, too much of a liability, as I have said, we have far better options.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ipinwigan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 pm Move Ellis back to prop as Saturday and then use Walters as a sub and move O'Neill to loose forward, again as Saturday.
Or just play Harvey Hill on the bench and change nothign else maybe?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Mike wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:17 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 pm Move Ellis back to prop as Saturday and then use Walters as a sub and move O'Neill to loose forward, again as Saturday.

Think that makes the most sense.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Why?
It worked in the second half on Saturday, must be something Matty Peet is thinking about.
Plus Byrne was substituted after 22 minutes, even though he was only on the field for about 12 minutes. He also only returned late on in the second half.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

For one reason and another Byrne hasn’t got going this year but people only need to look back to that spell around Catalans away last year to see what he can do. He may find himself on the sidelines for a bit longer than these 2 games now if things go well and that might not be a bad thing. His confidence looks a little low to me but he can play a big part in the season yet.

As for Saturday, Hill or Cooper to come in for me. I think I’d edge for Hill. He has been very good this season when he’s played and it would be a nice shot in the arm for his confidence to get picked in such a big game.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ipinwigan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:24 pm
Why?
It worked in the second half on Saturday, must be something Matty Peet is thinking about.
Plus Byrne was substituted after 22 minutes, even though he was only on the field for about 12 minutes. He also only returned late on in the second half.
That was a temporary move forced by Dupree's injury wasn't it? I think moving 2 or 3 players around due to the absence of one rotation prop is unnecessarily disruptive, especially when a like-for-like replacement is available.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors boss confirms Liam Byrne appeal stance ahead of Challenge Cup semi-final clash

Wigan Warriors prop Liam Byrne received a two-match suspension following his sin-bin against Huddersfield Giants.

Head coach Matt Peet has confirmed that the club will not be appealing the ban, with the club to give the vacant spot to another member of the squad for the Challenge Cup semi-final clash against Hull KR.

Byrne, 24, only marked his return from a four-game ban against Catalans Dragons, having received a red card on Good Friday at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

He was shown a yellow for a high shot on Matty English in the first tackle of the game in West Yorkshire, with Wigan going on to claim a 48-6 victory at the John Smith’s Stadium.

“We won’t appeal the ban,” Peet admitted.

“We’ve got to be better there and continue to work with Liam on his technique. We’ll move on quickly, we’ve got a few different options, so we’ll weigh up what’s best for this particular game (against Hull KR).”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... sh-4626861
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

I am not a fan of Byrne, but I think he has been harshly dealt with here, firstly there were plenty of high tackles that were 'worse' than what he committed, and those were seemingly ignored (i am trying my best to avoid talking about the standards of refereeing as it has been mentioned enough and isnt improving)

Also it seems odd to be somewhat celebratory over a suspension.