Liam Byrne receives suspension ahead of Challenge Cup semi-final showdown

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: Liam Byrne receives suspension ahead of Challenge Cup semi-final showdown

Post by Suzieb »

Rubbish
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

boggart wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 pm Is Liam about to fill the vacant Sam Powell 'whipping boy' slot amongst the tolerant, big-hearted, totally un-biased Wigan so-called 'faithful'?
I noticed Powell hasn't been immune from the occasional dig even though he's no longer with us, for goodness sake.
I remember last season when Liam performed above and beyond when he was basically flogged by filling in for others when he was injured and not really match fit. He never shirked it but was vilified nonetheless.
I know correspondents will claim that they are entitled to their opinions, but I am equally entitled to tell them what to do with them.
Why is it that people on this forum feel the need to take a dig at others who do not share their views? You and others may think that Byrne is a good player which is your opinion and of course you are entitled to it but there are plenty of other people on here who do not share that view. I respect your right to have an opinion please respect the right of myself and others to have ours.
Credit to Byrne for playing through injury last season but this does qualify him as a good player.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

mickali1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:04 pm
boggart wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 pm Is Liam about to fill the vacant Sam Powell 'whipping boy' slot amongst the tolerant, big-hearted, totally un-biased Wigan so-called 'faithful'?
I noticed Powell hasn't been immune from the occasional dig even though he's no longer with us, for goodness sake.
I remember last season when Liam performed above and beyond when he was basically flogged by filling in for others when he was injured and not really match fit. He never shirked it but was vilified nonetheless.
I know correspondents will claim that they are entitled to their opinions, but I am equally entitled to tell them what to do with them.
Why is it that people on this forum feel the need to take a dig at others who do not share their views? You and others may think that Byrne is a good player which is your opinion and of course you are entitled to it but there are plenty of other people on here who do not share that view. I respect your right to have an opinion please respect the right of myself and others to have ours.
Credit to Byrne for playing through injury last season but this does qualify him as a good player.
So matty peet and coaching team don't know a good player then. Think I know who I'm putting my faith in.
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:39 pm
So matty peet and coaching team don't know a good player then. Think I know who I'm putting my faith in.
Good for you. That's Matt Peet, the coaching team and your opinion. My opinion is that he is not good enough for Wigan. I'm sure he will do a job for Leigh, Salford or whichever team he ends up with.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I don’t need a whipping boy, fact is he’s our worst prop, the standard is high and it’s about time because we’ve had some rubbish over the past few years. He’s perfect for wigans second team….Salford.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He's got the build to be a good un. All he needs to do is get that tackle technique 6 inches lower.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Suzieb wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pmRubbish
great constructive contribution to the conversation :)

It is your view that Liam is rubbish or this thread / someones comment is rubbish?

For what its worth, i think he has a place in the team, certainly in the longer term with Cooper likely to retire at the end of this season. He may not be world class, but we cant afford world class players in every position. He has a great work ethic, good defensive line speed and gets through loads of work. My personal criticism is his ball retention when taking the ball in. I have a perception that he loses the ball 1-2 times per game, and that needs to be tightened up on

it may be that in 2 years time as the team evolves with the likes of Hill and other younger players getting more game time that he moves onto pastures new, but at the minute he's certainly one of our front row and likely to be in the 17 barring injury or ban
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

the pieman wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:13 am
Suzieb wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pmRubbish
great constructive contribution to the conversation :)

It is your view that Liam is rubbish or this thread / someones comment is rubbish?

For what its worth, i think he has a place in the team, certainly in the longer term with Cooper likely to retire at the end of this season. He may not be world class, but we cant afford world class players in every position. He has a great work ethic, good defensive line speed and gets through loads of work. My personal criticism is his ball retention when taking the ball in. I have a perception that he loses the ball 1-2 times per game, and that needs to be tightened up on

it may be that in 2 years time as the team evolves with the likes of Hill and other younger players getting more game time that he moves onto pastures new, but at the minute he's certainly one of our front row and likely to be in the 17 barring injury or ban
I agree. I didn’t read much criticism of him when we beat Penrith. I have no problem with fans criticising his technique but other points about his general ability are way off the mark. There are reasons why the coaching staff always select him.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

mickali1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:05 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:39 pm
Good for you. That's Matt Peet, the coaching team and your opinion. My opinion is that he is not good enough for Wigan. I'm sure he will do a job for Leigh, Salford or whichever team he ends up with.
Now let me see? Do I trust the opinion of professionals who seem to sync with mine or an unqualified non de plume?🤔
Difficult decision.😀
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He has been our least effective prop, in part because of the bans and having to leave the field. Everyone else is adjusting to the new world. He may be too inflexible or his reactions may be too slow, or he may lack the game smarts to play what’s in front of him, but he has been our weakest prop in my opinion. However, he has been good for us in the past. If he played regularly to his potential, I would have no issues with him.

Someone mentioned Powell above. There were a range of criticisms thrown at him, but at its heart for many of us was that we needed a hooker whose style of play increased the attacking options of the side. Byrne’s case is entirely different - he can do the job we want props to do, but only if he is available and playing well. Incidentally, Havard and Cooper have been unavailable for long stretches because of injury, but we tend to treat injury absences far more leniently than suspensions. Not that that’s wrong, I just note that a player with a bad injury record is also a problem.