Bigger impact than first thought’: Fifita theory emerges as star’s backflip leaves NRL in disbeliefs

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Bigger impact than first thought’: Fifita theory emerges as star’s backflip leaves NRL in disbeliefs

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby league commentator Andrew Voss speculated whether a frosty reception from fans changed David Fifita’s mind as the barnstorming forward decided to remain with the Gold Coast Titans.

It was a backflip that sent shockwaves through the NRL community given it was only last week Fifita informed the Titans he wanted to leave and had agreed a deal to join the Sydney Roosters.

The decision comes after the Gold Coast held on for a gritty 20-18 victory over the North Queensland Cowboys in which they were decimated by injuries.

During that game, Fifita was greeted by boos from the crowd at Cbus Super Stadium but he still put in a valiant display, scoring a try and making several key plays to save the depleted Titans.

Speaking on SEN, Voss believed the jeers from his own fans might have had a bigger impact on Fifita than many first thought.

“If the Titans didn’t have a home game the other day … you run out at home on the weekend and the crowd boos you and every time you touch the ball your booed, I reckon you’re feeling pretty down,” Voss said.

“I’m telling you, David is probably not the person fans see. He is a very humble young man and I would say it would have an emotional impact on him.”

Panthers legend Greg Alexander also weighed in on the bombshell backflip and questioned whether Fifita had regrets about agreeing to join the Roosters so quickly.

“There was no rush for him to sign with anyone,” Alexander said.

“So he obviously wasn’t convinced in his own mind that that’s exactly what he wanted to do. He only had one deadline and that was before kick-off last Thursday night to inform the Titans whether he was taking up the two-year extension or not.

“He informed the Titans that he wasn’t but then it was the following day that he signed for the Roosters.

“The Titans did have a win over the weekend and he thought, ‘Wow, this is good, I don’t know if I want to move to Sydney now.’”

Fifita’s change of mind sparked plenty of reaction on social media as just about everyone had the same reaction to the news.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d5c82060fe
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Re: Bigger impact than first thought’: Fifita theory emerges as star’s backflip leaves NRL in disbeliefs

Post by thegimble »

He played I am leaving give me more money card.

That's not humble Mr Voss
moto748

Re: Bigger impact than first thought’: Fifita theory emerges as star’s backflip leaves NRL in disbeliefs

Post by moto748 »

Don't rate him. They're enormous potential there, but he acts like he can only be arsed in some games. I wonder how disappointed the Roosters (and wasn't he supposed to be going to Penrith at one point?) are.