FCHull FC lock up new head coach on long-term deal, per reports down under

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

FCHull FC lock up new head coach on long-term deal, per reports down under

Post by josie andrews »

Hull FC have finally found the man to replace Tony Smith with reports down under confirming that they have appointed Brisbane Broncos assistant John Cartwright.

It brings to an end a six-week wait to find a replacement after Tony Smith was sacked following a dire start to the season that had seen the club win just one game.

Fortunes have yet to turn around in his absence with the Black and Whites continuing their losing streak, including most recently the loss to the winless London Broncos.

With reports down under of Cartwrith’s appointment, it would seem that there could now finally be a sense of direction at the MKM Stadium, however, it is not as simple as that with Cartwright set to join Hull FC in 2025 meaning that he will remain down under for the rest of the 2024 season.

This could well mean that Simon Grix remains in interim charge with Francies Cummings in an assistant role for the remainder of the year.

It’s also been revealed to be a three-year deal meaning that Cartwright will be contracted until the end of the 2027 season, with next year being the first season in charge for the Australian.

Cartwright is perhaps best known for his spell as head coach at Gold Coast Titans, where he coached for almost a decade but since departing the Titans in 2014, he had been an assistant.

He joined the current Brisbane Broncos project for the 2021 season and has worked there alongside a one-time rumoured target for Hull FC in Lee Briers.

Rather than landing the Englishman, it seems that Hull FC have landed the 58-year-old Australian who brings with him a wealth of experience even though he hasn’t been a head coach for a decade.

It is expected that Hull FC will confirm his appointment soon meaning that there will finally be an end to the speculation after six weeks with plenty of candidates linked, but just one firmely refusing the job seemingly.

That man was Paul Rowley, the current Salford Red Devils boss, who knocked back the offer in favour of remaining with his current club to continue the project despite reports of a huge wage offer at Hull FC.

New Director of Rugby Richie Myler can now sleep easier at night knowing that the first major piece of recruitment for 2025, appointing a head coach, has been done.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/hull-fc- ... der-91983/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: FCHull FC lock up new head coach on long-term deal, per reports down under

Post by moto748 »

Heh! I was going to say, I'll bet Lee Briers loves being called an Englishman, he's Welsh! But I checked, and in fact he was born in St Helens!

(you guys probably already knew that)
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Didnt cartwright play for st helens at one point? I also seem to remember him playing for penrith back in the white and brown kit days
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Cartwright may be staying in nAus for the rest of 2024 but it will enable him select the players he wants in the positions he wants to fill.
Wouldn't surprise me to see the Hull FC spine next year being from the NRL.
A very good signing IMO.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Any spine in FC would be an improvement! :lol:
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

He has some job on his hands thats sure because Hull are a shambles
The artist formally known as fozziekskem