Jai Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bob the Builder

Jai Field

Post by Bob the Builder »

Love him! Great player! But a shadow of his former self. When are we going to see him go around a player and pin his ears back with the pace he has to burn? Is he carrying a knock? Is he nervous, following his hamstring issues? The pitches are now more firm and we are a third through the season, but still no Field flashes of brilliance in attack. He's in this Wigan team partly due to his speed and try scoring ability, but we're not seeing it just yet, why?? I know I'll get slated here by the Cherry and white spectacle wearers, but he's not producing the goods imo. I'd be interested in your opinions.
Beryl O'Neill

Re: Jai Field

Post by Beryl O'Neill »

I've been thinking that all season I totally agree with you.Doesnt seem to have the speed or inclination to go round the opposition it looks as though he's holding back confidence maybe or is he carrying an injury Bev and him loved to watch them play in there original positions.Hes a brilliant tactical player but sometimes looks a bit lost..🌹
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He’ll do for me. He creates space for others. Flawless display at fullback today in awful conditions.
Bob the Builder

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:16 pm He’ll do for me. He creates space for others. Flawless display at fullback today in awful conditions.
Conditions only poor in 2nd half. 1st half was perfect conditions for expansive running rugby. Didn't have a right lot to do today as a defensive full back, but was lacking in attack. As I'm afraid to say he has been all season.
Bob the Builder

Beryl O'Neill wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:10 pm I've been thinking that all season I totally agree with you.Doesnt seem to have the speed or inclination to go round the opposition it looks as though he's holding back confidence maybe or is he carrying an injury Bev and him loved to watch them play in there original positions.Hes a brilliant tactical player but sometimes looks a bit lost..🌹
Totally agree Beryl. Great to see a new name on here talking sense, cos the usual names will soon start to shoot me down 🤣
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:16 pm He’ll do for me. He creates space for others. Flawless display at fullback today in awful conditions.
Pulled back inbthe clear today when ref should have played advantage.
Bob the Builder

Soul Kitchen wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:36 pm
Yep, agree. Poor refereeing decision. No advantage to Wigan. But anyone would have been clear there. Imo he's still not willing to take on a player, gap or opportunity, which is what made him such a crowd pleaser (and earned him a decent Wigan contract) last year and the year before.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Bob the Builder wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:59 pm Love him! Great player! But a shadow of his former self. When are we going to see him go around a player and pin his ears back with the pace he has to burn? Is he carrying a knock? Is he nervous, following his hamstring issues? The pitches are now more firm and we are a third through the season, but still no Field flashes of brilliance in attack. He's in this Wigan team partly due to his speed and try scoring ability, but we're not seeing it just yet, why?? I know I'll get slated here by the Cherry and white spectacle wearers, but he's not producing the goods imo. I'd be interested in your opinions.
Think he is producing the goods. He may not be making 90 meter breaks every 5 minutes but the rest of his play, as a fullback, is spot on and when he does make those breaks, well that is the icing on the cake.

I'd say at the moment, he's the best fullback in SL and by some distance.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

From various comments by Matty Peet, I think that Jai has to manage ongoing hamstring problems. He has to take it easy in training in order to avoid injury and last the season. Hopefully we'll see him at full pace when it really matters e.g. Challenge Cup final and important games at the end of the season. We can't afford for him to breakdown as he has done in the past. I was really relieved when he survived the away game at Leigh earlier in the season because he'd broken down there before.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Soul Kitchen wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:36 pm
Yep i nearly blew at fuse at the no advantage rule.For me hes not being put in as many gaps due to our spine change.Very similar to faz in that respect
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE