will brown get in squad this week

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dangerous Doc Murray

Re: will brown get in squa...

Post by Dangerous Doc Murray »

hmmm... i see a trend developing in this thread! i think noble will be able to get alot more out of Calderwood than millard did. He has started slow for but we have seen he has the capability to do it, you don't get super leagues top try scorer as a fluke. There will be no room for brown once things start flowing again.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

maybe a cheerleader he has the legs :D
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

stevo38 posted:
if calderwood is back put him at full back ashton centre to richards dallas on other wing with goulding
aaarrggg.

Millwards back with his swapping and changing.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Noble might feel he has no alternative with DV injured but to play Brown in the centres again.

I am not sure he would want a Goulding/Gleeson partnership.

Unfortunately the centres is where Hull are strong and is where they will win the match IMO.

Noble is supposed to be to be good at coaching players, identifying their weaknesses and getting to them to improve. With Brown many say he has raw talent. Well now we have a coach who ought to be able to improve the weak aspects of his game.

If Brown continues to make glaring errors and be weak in defence while having had a coach like Noble trying to get the best out of him it will be the conclusive evidence that he isn't up to standard. If he can't do the job under Noble he will never be able to.

I don't expect Noble to have turned him around in a week but I would like to see him at least employ a decent tackling technique at Hull.

That would at least show he is listening unlike at the Quins game where he argued with one of the coaches during the match who was telling him what to do (he refused until the coach told him to do as he was e**ing told)

Dave
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I would put Brown in the academy, have Richards and Calderwood as the wings, Goulding/Gleeson and Ashton as centres (without whoever didn't start on the bench) and Dallas at Fullback. I would keep Orr and Moran as the halves and see if they can repeat/improve on last weeks performance.

Sorry Kev, you're just not good enough in defence.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pie eaters posted:
Ashton in the centres with Brown at stand off and Godwin at scrum half. I would play Orr at Hooker
:eusa17: :eusa17:

Not more Millward type selections with players out of position!

Noble's only input to the team selection that beat Hudds was to insist Richards play in the wing, Ashton at full back and basically play everyone in the correct positions.

If he "does a Millward" and comes up with anything like the suggestion above I will be very surprised and seriously disappointed.

We have a problem at centre which needs fixing but to break the the rest of the team in an attempt to do so is right out of the Millward coaching manual.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

pie eaters posted:
Orr doesnt play like a stand off he as no organisational skills between the full back and second rowers, he should play hooker because of his support play
Are you saying you'd pick Orr ahead of Godwin & Higham at hooker?

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew posted:
I would put Brown in the academy, have Richards and Calderwood as the wings, Goulding/Gleeson and Ashton as centres (without whoever didn't start on the bench) and Dallas at Fullback.
Dallas isn't that good at full back IMO and should only be used there if Ashton is injured.

If Noble has decided Richards is a winger then we are going to have to face up to the fact we have three top class wingers and one of them isn't going to make the team.

Putting any of the wingers at full back is only doing so to include them in the team at the expence of playing Ashton at full back.

Dave
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

pie eaters posted:
Orr doesnt play like a stand off he as no organisational skills between the full back and second rowers, he should play hooker because of his support play
He can still support from Stand off!

Last week he played a lot more like he is supposed to and as he is our only recognised stand off (I've deliverately not included KB here) surely it makes sense to see if he can come good?

Hooker is one position where we appear to have a couple of good players; so to move them to accomodate a player from another position seems an unnecessary risk.

Last week was the first time that Moran and Orr have combined - and we scored 40 odd points. They've finally put in a decent performance - let's not ruin what little confidence that match brought by having a reshuffle.

Oh and I would play DV in seat 7B on the BA flight from Heathrow to Auckland...
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
bertina

Post by bertina »

pie eaters posted:
Why the hell would we want to pick Orr at hooker when we have 2 recognised hookers in the squad already?, it's madness!
Let's get away once and for all from this stupid tactic of playing people out of position, and swapping and changing people around all the time.
If at all possible play people in their recognised position, and give them chance to settle, and create understandings with the players around them.
I know injuries sometimes force the situation, but apart from those situations, let's try to get something like a settled team.