best wigan match ever

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: best wigan match ever

Post by ancientnloyal »

horsey posted:
The 3-1 win over Reading to gain promotion to the Premier League has to be high on any list.
shame the latics didnt go up on merit. not!

Best Wigan game? I dont know there have been many. enjoyed watching them play down under in the 90s, one memory was Offiah sliding 5 metres to the try-line on a very watersoaked pitch (forgot the opponent, brisbane perhaps). I enjoyed watching Halifax v Wigan in the challenge cup in the freezing cold and snow: joe lydon dropkicking in the last seconds to make wigan go through and a diehard wigan fan wearing nothing but a wigan shirt and a fag in his mouth (pants aswell obviously)... that was an awesome match to watch as a frost-biten-threatened kiddie.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

i thought manly was a clasic. i also think that the wigan v brisbane at brisbane in world club championship when we went there and nobody thought we would win and we did :D
IN WANE WE TRUST
ragman

Post by ragman »

stevo38 posted:
although for sheer buzz i still av the wigan bradford game at jjb wen renouf scored in last seconds it still makes me tingle
Certainly the best game at the JJB I think (actually it was Radlinski who actually scored the try, but Renouf quite rightly is the one who lingers in the memory)

Because of that last try, its easy to forget what a great game that was overall.
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

What about the 1985 Challenge Cup final between Wigan and Hull! That was a classic with Kenny on his best form that day, and Fergueson setting the grass on fire with his electric pace down that flank. A great game, you agree?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Doug Stand posted:
out of pure sentiment I will always have Wigan V Dewsbury from when we were in the second division. Wigan won 35-11. The fans cleared the snow from the pitch on Sunday morning and the game went on.
My father was in a terrible mess with the flu, but rather than see me devestated at missing the match, he took me, and he too remembers it as one of his favourite matches.
That's an amazing memory - shows what rugby league is all about.

One of my favourite memories (although not matches) was when Wigan played saints shortly after the deaths in a car crash of Billy Joe Edwards and Craig Johnson in 2003.

The game was televised by Sky and there was a minutes silence before the match. I wasn't there, so I couldn't comment on whether it was as flawlessly observed as it appeared on TV - however watching at home it was as if the TV had been muted. When the ref blew his whistle for the end of the minute the roar that came from the crowd was awesome.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
pie eater and proud of it

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

What........ Nick Du Toit ........ we ARE doing worse :D
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Doug Stand posted:
Fawdoffshed posted:
I'm a bit older than 38, but remember the 1964 Challenge Cup Final between Wigan and Hunslet being a belter too. Oh, I nearly forgot...Wigan won 20-16. :D
It was 1965 not 1964...

Before my time but I've been told so much about it I think I was there. The game was widley regarded as the best final ever... right up until 1985.
It certainly was! I've just watched the clips from the '65 final on the Pathe news site mentioned in another thread.

Hard to pick one from probably over a thousand that I've seen, but I think I'd go for the '59 Good Friday game against Saints, not just for the game itself, which was a cracker, but for the atmosphere and crowd.
Bear

Post by Bear »

4 trophies you Latic B*s*a*d........... So please go back to your own LOWER standared message board! :devi:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Bear posted:
4 trophies you Latic B*s*a*d........... So please go back to your own LOWER standared message board! :devi:
wrong thread? randomisation? whats with this posting?

Watch language or you'll get fraggled by Fraggle and others. I have a number for a NHS service if you're interested to give you help...
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
UnsungPanapa

Post by UnsungPanapa »

What about the birth of a legend "Super Kel" that was a game and half.