Who should we keep if we are relegated?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
waterside glens

Re: Who should we keep if ...

Post by waterside glens »

jinkin jimmy posted:
jodie clark posted:
it all depends on who wants to stay and help us
that is if we get relegated
i will gladly pack denis morans and david vaealikis bags now not at the end of the season why is he still playin them ?
Moran I might agree with - even though he was our top try scorer last season - but IMO we looked miles better defensively in the backs with DV's return.
is right JJ, i thought DV had a reasonable game on sat bar one stupid offload. he certainly tightens up or defense as i pointed out last season on our stats when he was missing we shipped alot more points. i,m not a big DV fan but he,s not as bad as some
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nate posted:
If Wigan Warriors end up in NL2 everyone would just jump on the bandwagon and join my club.

www.freewebs.com/wiganrugby2
If that happened i would rather go back to watching the once Fearsome club Millom than yopur mickey mouse breakaway club :tong:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
I assumed that we would make it clear to the RFL that if we are relegated, we will only accept a salary cap based on half of the income we can generate
The club cannot afford not to challenge this. It is unenforceable at law.

Isn't this what Cas did?
yes they did, unfortunately they lost and had to make do on a salary cap of £400k like all other teams in the league. :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

if wigan go down it will be the start of a big shake up in the game. wigan simply could not survive on the salary cap in N.L.1 whealan has already threatend the R.F.L. that if the salary cap went any lower in super league he would join union. so what do you think he will do on £400,000 ???. would the league allow wigan to walk away and join another sport???. or will he challenge the rules in court 20-20 salary cap. either way it wont be pretty. and our beautiful game will be the victim.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

the grinch posted:
if wigan go down it will be the start of a big shake up in the game. wigan simply could not survive on the salary cap in N.L.1 whealan has already threatend the R.F.L. that if the salary cap went any lower in super league he would join union. so what do you think he will do on £400,000 ???. would the league allow wigan to walk away and join another sport???. or will he challenge the rules in court 20-20 salary cap. either way it wont be pretty. and our beautiful game will be the victim.
Jeez that is a scary thought. I am in the can watch a bit of Union camp unlike other Wigan fans but for us to change codes is unthinkable...
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
I assumed that we would make it clear to the RFL that if we are relegated, we will only accept a salary cap based on half of the income we can generate (ie virtually as much as we pay out already).
If we go down all our decent players will leave because we will be working to the NL1 salary cap. There is nothing the club can do about it and that is the reason why relegation is such a disaster, not the loss of face of actually being relegated. That is just part of the ups and downs of sport. The financial implications are far more serious and the real reason to avoid relegation at all costs.

Dave
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

So by all means do you advocate breaking the cap this year and getting in the personel we need to stay up and worry if we get a fine next year?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I stated in another thread that I suspect that the club has already started planning for the NL1 - just on case we go down.

We've signed another second row - even though that is a position that we are not short of cover in.

We have enlisted players from the lower leagues - which I am sure will stay if we are relegated.

If (and I admit that it is looking increasingly likely) we are relegated then I think that we will probably try and loan out several of our players (Barret included) in the hope that we can bounce back up. I think that most will sign to other clubs though and that will be the last that we will see of them.

Whilst super league does not need Wigan, it certainly benefits from having it in the league - derby matches, regular large crowd attendances etc; so I would not be surprised if the RFL puts the pay off clause in place (after failing the promoted club for something trivial). Alternatively if we were to threaten them with legal action for restriction of trade then they might not fight the case as they did with Castleford allowing us to have a much better team than everyone else.

Whilst I want us to be in super league next year and realise the likely financial implications of us being relegated - I would not feel very good about us surviving through some under hand dealing.

Wigan should be good enough to survive without having to rely on some smoke and mirrors pantomime.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

damien morrissey posted:
So by all means do you advocate breaking the cap this year and getting in the personel we need to stay up and worry if we get a fine next year?
I had not actually thought of that! But no, because I reckon the RFL will get tough on salary cap breaches, particularly blatent ones and deduct enough points to ensure relegation the season after.

I meant things like if there is room to pay Moran off and pay Barrett for the remainder of the season pay his club whatever they want for him.

If we do get relegated before the end of the season, loan our best players to the best Nl1 side in the playoffs that won't get promoted on ground criteria so they stand a chance of winning it.

If the RFL bent the rules to keep us in I'd say yes thanks without batting an eye.

Dave