Radders

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gibbo

Re: Radders

Post by Gibbo »

Correct, and if he did come back it would it would have a posotive effect accross the park. There is no substitute for experiance. Just dont like it when people critices players that give 110% each week. Unless of course they are good enough to pull a shirt on and play super league!!
....Bigger they are, harder they fall....
boovey2006

Post by boovey2006 »

well done good point
Boov-e
anon45

Post by anon45 »

Hope the rumours are true that Radders is coming back, howeer hopefully only in a coaching capacity! Cant replace Ashton with Radders at this late stage but if we could have the true great coaching the young lad Ashton could undoubtly be the best full-back in Super League with the potential that he has and the experience of Radders it would make the perfect partnership surely. I also know that the two of them are cgood friends (makes perfect sense in my eyes)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fawdoffshed posted:
Sentiment, although nice won't keep Wigan from being relegated. Rads was a brilliant and a modern great. He should stick to his decision and continue to be "bowed out gracefully".
But surely sentiment is what motivates people to say Ashtion should keep the shirt to a degree? He has done well so people want to reward him but it is still a big ask to have a full back of his experience help guide us out of relegation.

The ideal situation this season would have been Ashton in while Rads recovered early on then Rads taking over to give Ashton a break.

If a fully fit Rads became available then I don't see why the logic in that idea has changed.

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

DaveO posted:
Fawdoffshed posted:
Sentiment, although nice won't keep Wigan from being relegated. Rads was a brilliant and a modern great. He should stick to his decision and continue to be "bowed out gracefully".
But surely sentiment is what motivates people to say Ashtion should keep the shirt to a degree? He has done well so people want to reward him but it is still a big ask to have a full back of his experience help guide us out of relegation.

The ideal situation this season would have been Ashton in while Rads recovered early on then Rads taking over to give Ashton a break.

If a fully fit Rads became available then I don't see why the logic in that idea has changed.

Dave
Correct. I posted elsewhere that I believed we had around £80K and a 20/20 slot. Just right for Rads?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Gibbo posted:
Kat posted:
His positional play is a bit dodgy!! Did you not go to Salford? This lad, even though he is young has prooved he has it all. Skill, speed, determination, and the heart of a lion.
Yes, I did go to Salford.

All season, he hasn't been in a good position to retrieve a kick, personally, I see this as dodgy. At Salford, he STARTED to run behind the line of defence so he was in line with the attacking ball-carrier so he was ready to tackle incase they broke through, but that's half-way into the season when he starts doing it.

He is a good player, and he is brill in attack, he can just be a little suspect in defence. With experience, I have no doubt that he'll learn a bit more. Which is why I said he's not ready yet, because he's not the finished article. And who better to teach him than Kris Radlinski???
boovey2006 posted:
i would say that it is awful to dis the young lad he is trying
Moran might have been trying. It didn't stop people "dissing" him! :arro:
Gibbo posted:Just dont like it when people critices players that give 110% each week.
If you can't take constructive criticism of players, then why come on a public messageboard where opinions obviously differ?? :eh:
turf

Post by turf »

I think we are putting too much pressure on the shoulders of young Ashton and we expect him to learn everything at once. All I will say is give him time, and his "suspect" defence, will improve, as will everything else. He is only 19 don't forget.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Can nobody read??

I have said several times now, that his defence will improve with experience.

I also said, it's A BIT dodgy, and A BIT suspect. Not that it's awful, and that he's the worst defender I have ever seen!

I think it'd be great for his development if Radlinski taught him a bit more. It would only be good for him in the long run.

:eusa17:
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

A young player is always going to make mistakes and Full Back is often the worst position to bring new players into because you can only become a good full back through experiance. Ashton has been thrown in at the deep end, Rads started his career at centre in a good side but Ashton has gone straight to full back in a poor team and Ashton has done a great job. Just think who good Ashton would look if he was playing in the same squad Rads did when he started.

Ashton has shown that he is a good allround player and he knows what he's doing, against Salford when their Full Back made a break Ashton positioned himself well and didn't allow the other player to turn him and as result made the tackle and against Wakefield Ashton had the sense to force the player to run across the pitch towards Dallas who could make the tackle.

Ashton will be the Great Britain/England Full Back at some stage in his career he just need to gain experiance, bringing back Rads would just be a backwards step for Ashton.
El Rifle

Post by El Rifle »

Jesus some of you guys have short memories. To say it wouldnt be good to have Rads backs is beyond madness. If he could get under the salary cap, yeah your right it would be crap to have the best fullback in the world defending our line.

Fitness? clueless if you think fitness is an issue with rads, the man has come off his hospital bed to win games on his own. he is a phenomenon. His defence is the best ive ever seen in either code, by a long way. Chris Ashton? dont make me laugh!!! the guy is great going forward, but thats it. Im not slating him now, but his defence is average at best - he lacks power- and when you are bottom of the league you need guys who will put their body on the line - ashton does not do this. you can rely on radlinski at the back you cant on ashton - i would put my house on rads making a tackle, i wouldnt put a tenner on ashton. He is good but he needs time. Wigan dont have time!