referee tonight

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jimofwigan

Re: referee tonight

Post by jimofwigan »

cpwigan posted:
Klein made several blunders. He was poor. As was Ganson in the other game I saw.
On balance he cost us the game. He gave the "play on" decision following the now infamous knock on. All refs make wrong or poor decisions but it is those decisions that lead to points on the board that are the ones that count whether they are in your favour or not.Saint Helens up to last nights game have been given 125 penalties(stats in last nights programme) they have this knack of seducing refs to favour them . Note the constant diologue between Sculthorp and Kline Lockers hardly said a word all through the match.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

jimofwigan posted:
On balance he cost us the game. He gave the "play on" decision following the now infamous knock on. All refs make wrong or poor decisions but it is those decisions that lead to points on the board that are the ones that count whether they are in your favour or not.Saint Helens up to last nights game have been given 125 penalties(stats in last nights programme) they have this knack of seducing refs to favour them . Note the constant diologue between Sculthorp and Kline Lockers hardly said a word all through the match.
Rubbish, our mistakes cost us the game!

Whilst I didn't think Klein had a good game it was from our own poor defence and panic rugby that we lost the match.

As you correctly say Saints have been awarded the most penalties in SL, however, haven't they conceded the most too? (Check last weeks LE). Does this mean the referees hate them too? Sculthorpe has every right, as captain, to go and speak to the referee whenever he likes.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I do not think the referee cost us the game personally. Although the failure not to award a knock on was a monumental blunder. The Fecka offload is a shocker. It also bring up a recurring chestnut, when is a player held???

Saints penalty count. Well you will gain more penalties if you are dominant. What is interesting is how many Saints concede. Why so many? Professional fouls. Look how many times Saints are prepared to concede penalties on their line. Yet, how many times do players get sin binned???? Not enough, so Saints back themselves v referees and gain.

Oh and my favourite refereeing puzzle. For a fortnight we have had referees clamping down on high tackles (nothing wrong with that) following SKY comments / Cummings edict. Klein totally ignore that edict IMO. Fozzard put in 3 by my reckoning. We put some in too.
Champions

Post by Champions »

May not have agreed with all his decisions but he handles the players well. Watched the reply and thought it was quite funny how he handled certain events.
Having a word with Sculthorpe and Wilkin about a high tackle and tells then to stay quiet and listen to the touch judges review. Higham then runs over but Klien just went 'Go away Mickey. This isn't a conference!' :lol:
........and on the 8th day, God made Wigan Warriors!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
I do not think the referee cost us the game personally. Although the failure not to award a knock on was a monumental blunder. The Fecka offload is a shocker. It also bring up a recurring chestnut, when is a player held???

Saints penalty count. Well you will gain more penalties if you are dominant. What is interesting is how many Saints concede. Why so many? Professional fouls. Look how many times Saints are prepared to concede penalties on their line. Yet, how many times do players get sin binned???? Not enough, so Saints back themselves v referees and gain.

Oh and my favourite refereeing puzzle. For a fortnight we have had referees clamping down on high tackles (nothing wrong with that) following SKY comments / Cummings edict. Klein totally ignore that edict IMO. Fozzard put in 3 by my reckoning. We put some in too.
They do do a lot of professional fouls don't they and give away penalties slowing down the other side, it obviously seems to work for them though. I was pretty disappointed that we had a man sin binned when in three incidents on their line they committed professional fouls and there was no binning. I have no complains at Orr going for 10 but the man who took out Richards should have been given the same punishment.

I though the one thing Klein did clamp down on (when he saw them) was high tackles, he gave quite a few I thought, but there were quite a few that he missed too.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I did wonder if Saints high penalty counts conceded was due to Millward as they have been doing this for a long time. However, it has continued under a new coach. It seems the Saints players take the view that once in the lead they would rather give away a penalty and potentially concede 2 points than 6 points. I works for them.

Logan who I thought had a terrific game needs to stop his silly POTB penalties too. If he does that and Lockers cuts out the odd high shot then our penalties against count should improve. I may be wrong but discipline seems better since Noble came.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Oh and people talking referees and getting onto them. All methods work. Hanley firmly believed in kissing their asses and buttering them up.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Oh and people talking referees and getting onto them. All methods work. Hanley firmly believed in kissing their asses and buttering them up.
Well which do you think works best, the suck ass approach or continually annoying him.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I'm afraid I fall into the Bob Fulton / Wally Lewis camp
Jake

Post by Jake »

He couldn't have been held he was still going forward and his hands were free, bad decision again