Car Park Stewards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Car Park Stewards

Post by Sutty »

I apologise if anyone else has already posted a thread on this topic, but I feel everyone using this site should know what happened on Saturday night.

When I arrived at the stadium car park across the river, near the footbridge over the canal, I was told in no incertain terms that I was not allowed to park in the spot that I have been parking in since we moved to the JJB. There was a line of cars along the river and I along with quite a few other people decided to park opposit them also paralell to the river.

The lady getting out of the car next to me also said that the stewards had told her that she couldn't park there either. When the steward said I couldn't park there, I asked "why not". His only reason was that I might get blocked in. This was highly unlikely as I stated before I have been parking there for years. I was polite to him and said that I wasn't blocking anyone else in and that I always park there. Thereupon I got out of my car, locked it and started walking to the Stadium.

I looked over my shoulder to see him telling someone else that they couldn't park somewhere. There was a large lump of a kerb stone in the road and I suggested to him that it would be safer if he moved it to the side of the road so people could drive past instead of him telling them where to park.

The next thing I knew was someone shouting and being aggressive towards me, when I looked round it was another steward who was swearing at me and telling me "where to go." I asked him what his problem was and I received another tirade of abuse, when I responded to this he said , I quote "come and say that to my face if you think you are hard enough, and see what it gets you." Luckily I was with my Fiance and she managed to keep me walking in the direction of the Stadium and ignore this so called Steward. What if I was a knife wielding maniac who could have so easily attacked him, which could have ended with one of us behind bars and the other seriously injured or worse.

Nothing else was though of the incident until after the game when I got back to my car to find that somebody had deliberately let the tyres down on my car. Although I cannot prove who it was I have a damn good idea. There was a baby seat in the back of the car because we had just dropped our baby daughter off with my parents for babysitting. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had received a phone call asking me to go home in an emergency and not being able to because some jobsworth had let a tyre down. As it happens we still had to wait for my mates dad to turn up with a foot pump before we could re-inflate the tyre.

I know nothing will be done about this but I have written to the JJB to inform them of the incident and I have also requested the name of the company responsible for the so called "stewarding" of the car parks so that I can in turn inform them of the aggressive behaviour of its staff. I suspect I am not the only person to have had a run in with these buffoons. It could have been a lot worse than it actually turned out. :angry: :angry: :angry:

jaws1

Re: Car Park Stewards

Post by jaws1 »

I saw the incident when you parked up and the steward was having a go at you ,the stewards are employed by a Liverpool firm their van is parked on the car park as you come on.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The stewards in and out of the ground are a disgrace.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sorry but that is my experience. Little hitlers. The car park stewards try to force you to park in truly unsatisfactory spots. I arrive early, often with a disabled family member and the idiots try to make me park as far away as they can.

Inside the ground. The nobody walking at the bottom of the stands is ludicrous. The blocking of advertising excuse is only relevant for football. To send people back against the flow of spectators is dangerous.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

How can those advertising boards be for rugby league? The Latics got promoted. The Premier League rules enforced the removal of the bottom row of seats and the addition of advertising boards. That has nothing to do with rugby league.

Moreover, the excuse about blocking advertising boards is kludicrous when you consider many are blocked permanently by TV cameras and/or photographers. It is dangerous to send people back against the flow of spectators. Even more important, it is mean spirited and jobsworth lunancy.
Champions

Post by Champions »

cpwigan posted:
How can those advertising boards be for rugby league? The Latics got promoted. The Premier League rules enforced the removal of the bottom row of seats and the addition of advertising boards. That has nothing to do with rugby league.

Moreover, the excuse about blocking advertising boards is kludicrous when you consider many are blocked permanently by TV cameras and/or photographers. It is dangerous to send people back against the flow of spectators. Even more important, it is mean spirited and jobsworth lunancy.
The koala bear was walking round at half time on saturday, and the people with it were handing out t-shirts. Some kids went down to get one and they got sent back! The cameras aren't ont he boards at half time as they are in the studio, and most people wouldn't be looking at the boards any way. Also, the new rules mean that only the kids on the first 2 rows can shake hands with Max. Think its abit unfair.
........and on the 8th day, God made Wigan Warriors!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We are a seperate team / sport from football. If these companies have it written in their contracts that they receive advertising/publicity at rugby matches then why is it not on our accounts. Where is the payment?

That rule is a joke. It is unsafe. It is mean spirited.

Twice this season I have come very close to feeling like I wanted to throttle offending stewards. That is not a good scenario.

Oh and if we are talking about only following orders / instructions then why are said stewards ultra keen to enforce them upon little kids but reluctant to do so at the top of the South Stand???
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

It was established at the Nuremberg trials after WWII that "only following orders" is not a defence.... :roll:

..and no, I'm not old enough to remember them!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sorry mate but I do not care if they are drunk or mob handed. I'm sick and tired of people saying we are afraid etc. I have never been so and I challenge people if they are wrong. I have done so many times and in far worse situations than you have to deal with. Are you telling me that grown men are afraid to deal with Farnworth and his juvenile muppets.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

The_Bad_Guy posted:

and they don't get any money from the rugby however their ad boards are seen on superleague televised matches and so they do recieve publicity
Surely DW doesn't give free publicity! Is he missing a trick?