who next?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warrior170272

who next?

Post by warrior170272 »

last week rads this week fielden
am a warrior i have the tats to prove it
taskmaster

Re: who next?

Post by taskmaster »

one more to come yet dont know who yet will post when i know
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

hopefully a class centre??
rumoured ages ago to be ryan cross from roosters!! or maybe sonny bill - he's playin centre now!! martin gleeson??
also keep dobbo or sign Deacon/Leuilei?? to partner barrett
Sing your hearts out for the Lads!!!!
Quinndog

Post by Quinndog »

we do need another quality signing prob centre but only player i can see us getting is pj but bulls wont to sell to us now weve got fielden but he would be the 1 id go for
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Quinndog posted:
we do need another quality signing prob centre but only player i can see us getting is pj but bulls wont to sell to us now weve got fielden but he would be the 1 id go for
I think the Bulls chairman would be assassinated if he let PJ come here.

Tell you what though, I bet the Bradford fans wished he had let PJ join when Wigan made the bid for the second time. Had he done so Wigan surely would not have had room under the salary cap and would not have been able to sign Fielden.

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Yes, well done to all concerned.

I reckoned a while ago we had 1 20/20 slot and about £80K to play with (obviously speculating here). Let's say Fielden is on £180K, thereby taking about £60K for the rest of this season. That would mean we could make another signing in a few weeks of an £80K/annum player who would take the remaining £20K. Of course, it may be that Fielden has signed a contract with very little salary for the rest of this year with the promise of a huge hike next year when Dallas and Seu Seu are off the list.

The point is that it is possible to juggle salaries this season to sign new players, but how do we stay under the 20/20? Is there any truth in the rumour of Kevin Brown going to Leigh? Something must be on the cards if DW is able to sign still more players.

Also, Fielden has come to the odds on favourites for relegation. Is he taking a huge gamble or is something afoot?
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

jinkin jimmy posted:
but how do we stay under the 20/20?
Putting my thinking cap on:-

Definitely 20/20 players - Calders, Richards, DV, Dallas, Orr, Logan, Higham, Feka, Hock, Fletch, Lockers, water boy, Tickle, Hargreaves, Sithee Sithee, Wagga, Harrison (17 players)

Definitely not 20/20 players - Rads (was originally), Melling, Tomkins, Prescott, Goulding, Gleeson, Walker, Coyle, McIllorum, Ashton, Colbon, O'Carroll, James, Hill

Loan players - Jonkers (gone), Wilkes,

Not sures - Dobson, McAvoy, Sculthorpe (do we pay for him when he's on a long-term loan, or are Cas paying him?)

New - Fielden.

I think the 17, plus the not-sure's, plus Fielden would equal 20. I'm assuming that, regardless of whether we had to pay him up or not, Moran has come off our 20/20 quota, as Rads must have done when he retired.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Flash posted:
warrior170272 posted:
last week rads this week fielden
And according to Dave Whelan, if Nobby wants others he'll get them! :D
I've heard a rumour from a good source (ie. invented by me!) that we'll be signing Jason Robinson, Andy Flintoff, Tim Henman and Martina Navratilova, to continue the current habit of somewhat incredible signings. Of these, Martina's the best bet although an initial interest in Amelie Mauresmo has cooled after the Wigan players complained she was far too butch to play RL and they were scared of her.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

It has to be a good centre or a scrum-half! I would expect Johnson, but just wonder if he did go to warrington, might Wigan offer the big bucks for Gleeson, after all he is a Wigan lad and when i spoke to him a few years back, he always wanted to play for Wigan! From what i was told at the time, Wigan offered the better money than Warrington at the time, but St Helens would not sell him to Wigan on prncipal! They probably had images of another Gary Connelly scenario.
Also, don't for one second read anything into this, but Leon Pryce was at Wigan for a couple of days last week, not sure what he was doing though.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Back in the Millward era I was told that the only reason Pryce didn't sign for us was ML's insistence on our players moving to live in Wigan as Calderwood had to do. I wonder if this has been scrapped now or will Fielden have to move?