BEST SEASON EVER?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
FROM A TO B

BEST SEASON EVER?

Post by FROM A TO B »

In some sort of perverse manner, this season could become one of our best ever!
I know tat sounds wierd, but you have to agree that at the Wire game, you'd have thought we had won the Grand Final. I can't think of a time at the JJB when there has been a better atmosphere (apart from maybe the Renouf to Rads try against Bradford).
Whilst the top 6 is a hard task, I for one won't care if we don't make it. We've been through the lows and now it is our time to celebrate.
Come on Saints, come on Warrington, bring on Wakey, it's payback time.

WE ARE STAYIN UP, WE ARE STAYING UP :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
ancientnloyal

Re: BEST SEASON EVER?

Post by ancientnloyal »

I think many teams go through a period of transition that could make or break the club, look at Halifax... they did well in the glory days era but struggled to successfuly make the transitions that every club goes through.

Now its wigans turn and it looks as though its took us 17 games to make that and from NOW... the only ay is up. thats whats best... successfully creating a new team and era without relegation. we've had our time at the bottom, like everyclub... just hope we beat wakey... best season ever?? no... that belongs to the glory days, but supporters wise... you cant ask for more, especially 3,000 in london last night.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

FROM A TO B posted:
No, it would just be perverse to say that.

Trying to say this is the best season ever for whatever reason is like someone saying if we go down it would be a good thing as we cancel the contracts of wasters and players not good enough for the club.

While that would be true it would just be hiding what a disaster relegation would be. It is the same if we manage to escape. A good run now to get us safe is no substitute for the sort of season many expected from the squad.

Make no mistake if we stay up once the euphoria and relief have died down it's time for a long inquest.

In the meantime lets give the team all the support as we have been doing all season as it clearly seems to give them a lift.

Dave
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

I wouldnt say best season ever but its been a interesting one. But I for one am looking forward to next year. Just look at the team:-

Ashton
Richards
(Need a centre)
Bailey
Calderwood
Barrett
Leuleui (looks imminent hes coming)
Fielden
Higham
Palea'asenia
Hock
Fletcher
O'Loughlin

Subs
Godwin
Orr (Hopefully Nobby will keep him)
Logan
Hansen

It looks good guys.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Flash posted:
FROM A TO B posted:
I know tat sounds wierd, but you have to agree that at the Wire game, you'd have thought we had won the Grand Final. I can't think of a time at the JJB when there has been a better atmosphere (apart from maybe the Renouf to Rads try against Bradford).
Whilst the top 6 is a hard task, I for one won't care if we don't make it. We've been through the lows and now it is our time to celebrate.
Come on Saints, come on Warrington, bring on Wakey, it's payback time.

WE ARE STAYIN UP, WE ARE STAYING UP :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Whilst I wouldn't say it in those terms, I understand what you mean. After about 20 years of supporting a club who have always been at or around the top, expected to challenge for honours etc. this season where every pass, kick and tackle has taken on unprecedented levels of importance has certainly reaffirmed my commitment to the club. As I have said on previous occasions it is easy to support a winning side. It's only when your side is struggling do you fully realise how much the success you had previously taken for granted means and how sweet it will be to see it return. :eusa3:
Could explain why our attendances are steadily going up. I think quite a few wigan fans got bored with the success late 80's early 90's, and picked their games more selectively.
Likely_Lad

Post by Likely_Lad »

Same for me, some of them even come to the game sometimes to see what's going on with Wigan RL. I think it's safe to say it's not been one of the best seasons in our history but we can't deny it's exciting, and will surely make this generation of support appreciate it more when we're back competing for honours.
The poster formerly knows as Wizard_Millward.

I wasn't as fit or strong as before but my two biggest muscles still worked - my heart and my head - Kris Radlinski.
#1 warrior princess

Post by #1 warrior princess »

I don't think it is the best ever season, but the most interesting season in a long time.

Who would believe the battle at the bottom would outweigh the battle at the top?
You can take the girl out of Wigan, but you can't take Wigan out of the girl!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

I would not say that it is our best season ever fieldwise but the supporters have been fantastic last home game against the Wires the atmosphere was better than any match that i have seen before.Beleive me I have watched RL a long time me and my grandaughter all the way home singing we are staying up We are staying up we are staying up from a sixty year old the atmosphere was brilliant i applaud all you Wigan fans who have supported the team this season i could not go to London yesterday i just got back from Ireland in time to watch it on SKY the Wigan fans who went are a credit to the team .To the fans who went to London and watched the football it was your choice and the other Wigan fans who watched the Rugby should have not booed you
after all you made the effort to go to London .Well done you Wigan speccies you are the best supporters in SL .
Robbo87

Post by Robbo87 »

Best season ever? definatley not, Most enjoyable season for me ever? for me, strangley yes, ive only been going for about 5 years so missed out on all the glory years, and had some great times in the previous seasons i,e murrayfield 2002, but i have never enjoyed a season more. Superb atmosphere's at games, and great close contests, for some reason i am enjoying going into games as the underdog, makes winning feel so much better.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

deffinately a good one and when we do survive, yes, when we DO, we can look back and say we supported our team through the bad times and we saw them do well in the good times (hopefully next season). we are the ebst supporters in the land and we are deffinately doing our bit to make it a memorial season.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------