Super League could head for Wales

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
#1 warrior princess

Re: Super League could hea...

Post by #1 warrior princess »

Don't think the Saints fans will like it, their giros won't stretch as far as the bus fare!
You can take the girl out of Wigan, but you can't take Wigan out of the girl!
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

mike binder posted:
think there on about playing all the matches in 1 weekend 6 in all 3 on saturday 3 on sunday can the pitch take that much rugby if so wat a weekend and a great idea :lol:
Yeah very true as it has been struggling to take the football finals and six nations if you included RL games week in week out in the summer it would cut up greatly. I don't understand if the WRU have so much money for their players, why can't they produce a decent pitch. Twickers has as many games and doesn't have a roof yet copes with all the elements.

Maybe with all the football finals and RL final moving to Wembley when it opens will allow more games to be played there.
Champions

Post by Champions »

mike binder posted:
think there on about playing all the matches in 1 weekend 6 in all 3 on saturday 3 on sunday can the pitch take that much rugby if so wat a weekend and a great idea :lol:
Agreed...Rugby League Festival in Wales. Boost the games name over there, and hopefully get some publicity, promote the sport. Be even better if they did a weekend pass or something, say £80 for all the games. Organise some good match entertainment in between games. Maybe have big derby games: Leeds/Bradford, Wigan/Saints, last each day to try and get people to stick around. Then out round Wales at the end of each day :D Should be organised on a bank holiday weekend though, so people can make a holiday of it.
........and on the 8th day, God made Wigan Warriors!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

As the Welsh Tourist board are allegedly stumping up £500,000 and the stadium holds 72.000 charge a low sum of lets say £25 for each day and lets see a full stadium the locals will love it and it puts our game in the spotlight when Wigan played Saints at the Millenium i was 50 miles away the Welsh supporters got on my train in their droves .If my mathamatics are correct it will bring in a total of £860.000 less the hire of the stadium rest divided by 12 clubs.
Antwigan

Re: Super League could head fo...

Post by Antwigan »

Adrenalinxx. Dont you want to change that signature now? Makes me depressed....
Campions of the rugby world.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Antwigan posted:
Adrenalinxx. Dont you want to change that signature now? Makes me depressed....
If Wigan beat Wakefield tomorrow then I shall change it, if Wigan lose it will stay there until I'm in a better mood.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Coffee & TV... wigan has had a depressing season, so, some similarity.

I'd love a trip to Cardiff... 75,000 fans, kind of, wouldnt see that happening though, there will be people coming and going every match. You cant have Leeds v Bradford, Catalans v Harlequins then Wigan v Saints to finish it off... nobody would be there half way through the day. 50,000 Wigan fans turn up to watch them capitulate Hull KR or Whitehaven, imagine.

Thumbs up from me though if they think about it, get it right, would be a good day.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

stevocod posted:
Don't know if any big league club would want any of them anyway no offence but i dont think there is anyone versatile enough to perform in both codes now.
I don't want to start this discussion again as I've had it several times on these pages, but that isn't true. Any top Union international could do well in League now, given a little bit of time and vice versa.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

DaiJones posted:
I don't want to start this discussion again as I've had it several times on these pages, but that isn't true. Any top Union international could do well in League now, given a little bit of time and vice versa.
To be honest I don't think this is true, some top Rugby Union players might do well in League but I think some would struggle with the different demands of RL. RU is a lot slower than RL so any player coming to RL would have to work on their pace, also the style of passing in RU is different from RL as is the positioning of the players.

I hate to mention Football but it is a good example here, Kleberson former Manchester United player, was a good player in Brazil but could not cope with the change in the style of play between the two countries even though the rules and the game itself were still the same. This is simpler to RU and RL a RU player might be good and in theory but a good RL player but there are different depends even though the basics are still the same.

Hope you understand my point, i'm sure someone will come along and sum all that up with one word.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

adrenalinxx posted:
DaiJones posted:
To be honest I don't think this is true, some top Rugby Union players might do well in League but I think some would struggle with the different demands of RL. RU is a lot slower than RL so any player coming to RL would have to work on their pace, also the style of passing in RU is different from RL as is the positioning of the players.

I hate to mention Football but it is a good example here, Kleberson former Manchester United player, was a good player in Brazil but could not cope with the change in the style of play between the two countries even though the rules and the game itself were still the same. This is simpler to RU and RL a RU player might be good and in theory but a good RL player but there are different depends even though the basics are still the same.

Hope you understand my point, i'm sure someone will come along and sum all that up with one word.
Given most players need open space to perform in both codes a prime example of sucess in both is Jason Robinson but only from nimble foot work and speed off the mark.

People who havent been so succesful i.e. - Henry Paul found it demanding and the different defensive and attacking line structures in both codes.

I think as the most performing back in the Welsh side would be arguably be Gavin Henson, his kicking would be handy for 40 - 20's but his running style not so. He runs side ways sometimes and that proved his detriment in the lions tour and NZ employ an in your face attack similar to the French and top SL sides.

Whereas one side he did well against was England due to the fact Larder over elaborated on his defensive line techniques. I think Shane Williams would be good going forward as he is in union but has no real defensive technique and would struggle to adapt. I can't really think of any other that would sufficiently adapt to both codes in terms of top welsh union players, can you Dai?