Luke loaned out.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Alex the Warrior

Luke loaned out.

Post by Alex the Warrior »

If we avoid further injuries this weekend (and don't bet on that the way Widnes have come to the JJB to knock off a few heads on recent visits), Luke Robinson will be loaned out to either Castleford or Salford who have enquired about his services.

Apparently, we favour loaning him to Cas. Now, I don't know Salford's position on the salary cap, but I know that Cas want to reduce it to £1.3m per year. With this in mind, I would be delighted to see Cas finish bottom, so that the salary cap is Super League is no longer any of their business. This makes them the last team I would be helping out.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
Fraggle

Re: Luke loaned out.

Post by Fraggle »

Alex the Warrior posted:
Apparently, we favour loaning him to Cas. Now, I don't know Salford's position on the salary cap, but I know that Cas want to reduce it to £1.3m per year. With this in mind, I would be delighted to see Cas finish bottom, so that the salary cap is Super League is no longer any of their business. This makes them the last team I would be helping out.
I'd agree with that. It's not our fault if they can't raise enough revenue for their team, the £1.3m is presumably what they bring in and they don't want the other teams to be able to spend more than them. I'd imagine Salford are not much different in that respect, although hopefully their finances are a bit better after a year in the National League. The end result of that ridiculous policy is that there are lots of experienced players who are out-of-contract but can't go to any team because the teams can't afford them, they can't go Down Under for the same reason, but they are expected to take a pay cut to continue playing all because a couple of unsuccessful clubs want to penalise the big clubs.

With the injuries sustained by most clubs (including Castleford) and the need for more players (London have used something like 27 already this year) I can't see how any team can ask the sport to chop another 25% off the salary bill - I thought inflation went up, not down?!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

More worryingly is the similarity to Ricky Bibey being loaned out to Leigh last season and listening to Maurice tell us he was still an integral part of the future at Wigan!(Or was that Stains?) I hope that this does not turn out to be a case of deja vu, much better to have let Danny Orr play for Cas.
One good match in 10 isn't good enough, if we were not paying him much more than Luke I bet Cas could afford their old boy back within their salary cap :(
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
!*WiGaN BaBe*!

Post by !*WiGaN BaBe*! »

omg y they doin that if he goes on loan i bet hell end up stayin there or going sumwere else like ricky bibey!!! :( :o
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Ricky Bibey well, whether losing him is good or bad, is a matter of opinion isnt it :blush:

I think letting Luke out to get a few more big match practices is a good idea as long as he does come back. We cant expect him to sit on the bench for the rest of the year.

What annoys me about all this salary cap, is how we're training the lads up and then having to let them go, and then theyre making a name for themselves with other clubs. If a player has been trained with a club for a certain amount of time, I dont think they should be involved in the rule at all. So maybe Cas should argue that instead and start to bring a few youngsters through.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

rickey donkey isn't in the same class as luke robinson bibey wont make the grade and if stains knew they had to pay for him they wouldn't have signed him in the first place.now luke robinson is going to make a big impact on the game he needs super league experience and cas is probably a good start for the lad.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Saints nearly admitted that they wouldnt have had him if they knew he would cost didnt they?!
If you look at the fixtures Cas have in the next few games.
Bradford, Salford, London, Hull and Saints.
What a chance for him to shine even if it isnt for us. He really is getting an advantage from this and if he comes back to us, so are we!
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

MrsLam posted:
I think letting Luke out to get a few more big match practices is a good idea as long as he does come back. We cant expect him to sit on the bench for the rest of the year.

What annoys me about all this salary cap, is how we're training the lads up and then having to let them go, and then theyre making a name for themselves with other clubs. If a player has been trained with a club for a certain amount of time, I dont think they should be involved in the rule at all. So maybe Cas should argue that instead and start to bring a few youngsters through.
The salary cap is also a key issue in all this. Remember we had to release Brian Carney from the squad to get Lam in under the 20/20/20 rule. Releasing Luke creates another slot which Brian can come into. Put simply, we've too many players and we need to release someone to get all our formerly-injured players into the team. Luke's currently not got a place in the team, we're all more-or-less agreed he needs a bit more exposure to Superleague before he can take on Lammy's mantle and this is a solution which solves all the problems.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
!*WiGaN BaBe*!

Post by !*WiGaN BaBe*! »

didnt lammy say that he is retiring next year so he is helping luke train but they wont need he any more because of danny orr but is it actually true because nothing has been said anywere else about it???
as long as he comes back its ok but its right what someone said look at how good sean briscoe is now and wigan let him go!why do they keep training them up and then letting them go because some of the younger lads can do as much some tines as the more experienced ones. sean used to go to my school! lol
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

To be fair the lad will want to play! He will show what he has got and wether that is for wigan makes no differance to me! He is a lad with alot of skill and as people have been sayin to get him 100% class he needs more super league experince! But i think he was brought up in wigan and if he is a really wiganer he wont be goin anywhere and we be back for us next season!
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!