Best Wigan try of 2006.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Best Wigan try of 2006.

Post by ancientnloyal »

Please, nobody vote for ANY Denis Moran try, whats the point?

Anyways... I'd go for Mark Calderwoods try against Leeds 2nd time round at Headingley. Picked up ball from a Leeds fumble, ran 30 metres, tackled > Ashton ran round the defence and cut back to Calderwood to give wigan the 18-14 lead (dobson converted to 20-14) and quite possibly one of the most important tries of our season.

Everytime I watch the try (on youtube.com > search for 'wigan warriors') the fans make soo much noise, dancing on the terraces. It was a great moment I nearly lost my voice.

Ashton's try against Stains at KR was ok also.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
northeastwarrior

Re: Best Wigan try of 2006.

Post by northeastwarrior »

One of the first two tries against Bradford at home. Awesome!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal posted:
Anyways... I'd go for Mark Calderwoods try against Leeds 2nd time round at Headingley. Picked up ball from a Leeds fumble, ran 30 metres, tackled > Ashton ran round the defence and cut back to Calderwood to give wigan the 18-14 lead (dobson converted to 20-14) and quite possibly one of the most important tries of our season.
This is may favourite try but not just for the excitment but because is shows a lot of really good basic skills.

The way Ashton is running at full tilt yet looks exactly where to pass the ball (i.e. to Calderwood) is illustrated really well by the front on camera angle.

Orr set up a similar try in a similar way - great break, full speed running and great pass perfectly executed. I forget who against.

Involved as I am with junior RU at Chester I keep banging on about this aspect of the try because you would be amazed at how many of the youg lads (under 13's) can't pass properly and don't look where they "chuck" the ball.

Another great try was McCavoy's v Hull where he kept himself in play to score in the corner and I enjoyed the one he scored where he kicked the ball through to score.

Dave
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

Calderwood away at leeds...stood on the away terracing the emotions flowing watching that was unbelievable! fantastic try! great support ofcourse from Ashton after the quick play-the-ball from calderwoods origional skoot! :)
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Bring on the Warriors

Re: Best Wigan try of 2006...

Post by Bring on the Warriors »

I am stuck between the first try against Bulls and the calderwood try at Leeds. They both showed a lot skill and the excitement that went with both was unbelieveable.
Proud to be a Wiganer!!!
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

calderwood at leeds as to be and the danny orr 1 against huddersfiels at home ,that won us a very stickey match in the dieing minutes seem to stand out more that any others ,but i would say danny orr any way wouldnt i
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It has to be Calderwood at Leeds. The actual try is awesome and the context just makes it the dogs wotsits
Woodentop07

Post by Woodentop07 »

cant remember who scored it(think it was mcavoy) but the first or second try against warrington at home(fieldens debut) was awesome!!full length of the pitch goin through 5or6 pairs of hands!!the stuff dreams are made of!!
Wigan til i die!!
jayde_hates_longy

Post by jayde_hates_longy »

:) would have to be danny orr when we played at home he went straight under the sticks! the 2nd would have to be calderwood leeds away! magnificent try! :D
R.I.P mike gregory xxxx
true wigan ledgend !!!!

Cummmm on wigaaaaaaaaaan!!

SL CHAMPS 2008

DIRTY FUCKIN SCOUSE WANKERS :)
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xjodiexwarriorsx

Post by xjodiexwarriorsx »

for me its either the one againts bulls or leeds :D
BRIAN N0BLES BARMY ARMY _ *