Question for Mike !!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Question for Mike !!

Post by Fraggle »

LuKe RoBiNsOn Iz FiNe 'N' tHe BeSt !! posted:
ok then i wont come on here any more beacuse its obviously aimed at me because of my name but i never write childish things so nevermind ill find another wigan webpage!
bye
Maybe you should re-read my message, I specifically said you weren't the person being criticised, and indeed no single person is being criticised.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I had another idea - a personal spam filter.

The idea would be this:
When read a thread or message there would be a mechanism where you could rate how good the content was in a similar way to other sites.
The way this would differ is that the ratings would be specific to you. The site could use your rating to analyse the content of the message and rate future messages based on their content.
One person could specify that a message was of great interest and another that it was not interesting at all. The message would be highlighted to the first user and 'lowlighted' to the other.

It might take a bit of work to do, but shouldn't be too hard. I was thinking of a naive bayesian classifier based on word frequencies (like an email spam filter). This would of course require a certain amount of training for each user before it was usefull, but it should become usefull in determining which threads to read without reading uninteresting ones....

Maybe I'm just a bit over enthusiastic about being in the semis and letting my computer geekyness get carried away.... :wink:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Sounds like you like a challenge Mike.

Would it not be simpler just to have different zones, for example, a fun zone where those that wish to discuss how 'fit' Luke Robinson is or whether O'Loughlin looks better with short or long hair can post their messages. Or for those 'txt adikts' to chat on?

Then a match day zone where we can analyse matches and have that sort of discussion.

Then perhaps a non-Wigan RL zone where we can discus RL related items not necassarily related to Wigan.

Then maybe a chat zone where people may ask each other questions like who's going the next home match and where they are sitting, etc...

I think that about covers everybody that currently frequents this message board.
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

robjoenz posted:

Would it not be simpler just to have different zones, for example, a fun zone where those that wish to discuss how 'fit' Luke Robinson is or whether O'Loughlin looks better with short or long hair can post their messages. Or for those 'txt adikts' to chat on?

Then a match day zone where we can analyse matches and have that sort of discussion.

Then perhaps a non-Wigan RL zone where we can discus RL related items not necassarily related to Wigan.

Then maybe a chat zone where people may ask each other questions like who's going the next home match and where they are sitting, etc...

I think that about covers everybody that currently frequents this message board.
I agree that would be good!
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:

Don't forget a Frequently Annoying Questions section, so we can finally get rid of the "will the rugby team have to move out for a year if the Latics get into the Premiership until they get relegated again?" type questions.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
warriors

Post by warriors »

I use txt some times, so u can blame me aswell. But i am startin to change to normal coz some people cant understand. they are abit on the old site, an not with the furter. So im try to write properly for them.

We should just keep it in the same zone. But people just learn how to read txt chat. It is not hard i can do it.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

warriors posted:
I use txt some times, so u can blame me aswell. But i am startin to change to normal coz some people cant understand. they are abit on the old site, an not with the furter. So im try to write properly for them.

We should just keep it in the same zone. But people just learn how to read txt chat. It is not hard i can do it.
We're all English (speaking), right?
We all learn English as children?
We all learn to write correct English at school (some have difficulty mind, [not aimed at anyone])?
So let's write it on the message board, makes sense to me and those on the 'old side'

If I'm honest I don't think txt is the future at all. My personal opinion is that it has bred from laziness. Whether I am sad reading over my messages for spelling, punctuation and grammar I don't know. I just want people to know what I'm trying to say. There will never be a point in time when we all write in text language because there are so many variations, so many different dialects, so many changes made by personal preference. It offers the same amount of consistancy as an RL referree! Anyway, I best stop ranting now! Haha
warriors

Post by warriors »

Rob shut the up you , right think about it. More people the england no how 2 us txt the normal. An it is easier faster an you cant have a spellin mistake then. So go an swival, coz you just go told.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

warriors posted:
More people the england no how 2 us txt the normal.
What?

If you thought about it you wouldn't resort to swearing at me just because I disagree.
I don't agree that the majority of the nation are more familiar with text language and I believe that knowing how to use our language correctly is important to communicate. If this makes me a t*** then so be it!
warriors

Post by warriors »

Rob i can use english lit properly. I got BB. But this is not coursework, exam etc. So i chose the easy way, an use txt. Rob do you no y i resorted to swearing?????? Coz you think you no everythin, but to me you no nowt. You think that you are the boss of the site. Which you are not. An if people wont 2 use txt then they can. I have no problem. The only people that have a problem, is the elders. How about this......... Learn how to read txt. then you would have learnt somethin new.