living away from wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: living away from wigan

Post by Fraggle »

I'm in Manchester, don't get much reaction from anyone really although I have a bit of a crack with some Salford fans in the gym I go to very occasionally. When I lived in Lancaster I got abuse a few times from Liverpool football fans, although they were obviously as far from their team as I was. On holiday in Dublin in 2000 I think it was, some of the locals mistook our shirts for Derry gaelic football team colours! We were a bit confused, walking into a bar to watch the Wigan vs Hull match on Sky, to be asked how our team had done - we hadn't kicked off at that time!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
linz

Post by linz »

I live in Glasgow so most people don't really know about league. I'm doing my best to educate them though!
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

I live in cumbria and everyone is a union fan would love it if whitehaven came up this year then i will watch wigan there!
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

So, is there anyone else on here except for me who actually lives in wigan?!
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Stuart Raper's Barmy Army

Post by Stuart Raper's Barmy Army »

I am at uni in middlesbrough, I dont think they even know that another game apart from football exists. When i went into town the other day wearing my shirt somebody asked me why i was wearing a sunderland shirt in the 'boro', when i sed that it was a wigan shirt they asked me what division we were in! When i finally managed to get through that we were a rugby league game they muttered soemting about rugby being a soft game and that football was tougher and walked off.
Paul Howard

Post by Paul Howard »

I don't get any direct stick of anyone. I'm stuck in the middle of the North Yorkshire Dales in Wensleydale. Although Leeds, Bradford, Cas etc are only an hour or so away, up here int' dales League is not very popular. The first thing I get asked when I tell people I'm off to a rugby match is " Is Johnny Wilkinson playing !". So then it takes me another ten minutes to explain the difference between our great game and 'kick and clap' rugby. It gets me so annoyed I don't need any stick of anyone!
Tickle's Warbabe

Post by Tickle's Warbabe »

I live in sale in manchester but was born and raised in Hindley i often have other car drivers looking at the Wigan sticker in my car. Coz its all Sale Sharks and city and united round here.
I have my flag out on match day flapping on my car window and its really nice when i get closer to Wigan to feel back home coz i see other flags flying for our lads.
I would move back home but work keeps me in Manchester. :roll:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Tickle's Warbabe posted:
I live in sale in manchester
Everyone keeps telling me that Sale isn't Manchester, it's Cheshire. I'm a mile from the city centre near to Rusholme and Moss Side, that's Manchester, but you're in the posh bit.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Fraggle posted:
Everyone keeps telling me that Sale isn't Manchester, it's Cheshire. I'm a mile from the city centre near to Rusholme and Moss Side, that's Manchester, but you're in the posh bit.
I thought that was just Stockport that didn't want to be associated with Manchester. I live quite near you Fraggle in Withington, don't you think it's nice what they have done with Maine Road? :D
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
I thought that was just Stockport that didn't want to be associated with Manchester. I live quite near you Fraggle in Withington, don't you think it's nice what they have done with Maine Road? :D
It's the SK postcode which is sought after, since Stockport is officially in Cheshire even though the boundary is a bit stretched there and I think it should be Derbyshire if anywhere. I'm not even so sure what is so good about Cheshire either. People talk about Wilmslow and such places, but Widnes is also Cheshire and I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with somewhere like that.

As for Maine Road, it's about 10-15 minutes walk from here (near the main University campus) but I've not taken any notice of what they're doing to it. To be honest I'm not going to miss the place, traffic outside here was a nightmare on matchdays. I've not been into Withington for a long while, I don't usually go much beyond the Fallowfield residences although I remember there used to be a decent Canadian pizza place down there which used maple with their pizzas... very nice.

[hr]