Problem teenagers at away games

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Problem teenagers at away games

Post by cpwigan »

I would raise the legal age for drinking in a public place personally.

I believe from students I talk to this penchant for throwing beer occurs in the South Stand too. I do not site near enough but apparently if you sit near to the top you get a shower from those at the very top.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I dont think raising the drinking age really works, after all the type of people who get in states and conduct themselves poorly tend not to be the most law-abiding and im sure they would find a way to get booze.

Its a society problem and it comes from one thing and one thing only, there's no fear or consequence. The way the law is set up now and the ambulance chasing nature of this country means the police or any other authority figure are scared to death of doing anything other than giving stern words to someone.

Bring back the CANE! - although thankfully it wasn't around when i was at school :)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

WF we have certainly become far far too soft in dealing with anti social behaviour etc.
grahamwarrior

Post by grahamwarrior »

teenagers are going to spoil it for every one because the coach operators will start to refuse to supply transport for them we have very good regulers on the coaches from mayfair,perhaps the driver should put every bodys bags in the boot until they get back home and only allow bags on for medical purposes,these kids should watch football if they want to be a lout
Salsa Caliente

Post by Salsa Caliente »

I think this, as with many things, is down to the minority ruining it for the majority.

There will probably be the obvious loopholes but ideas could include:

1. If Super League clubs, and RL clubs in general, are serious about making this a family game, they should have a collective banning list so that people who are thrown out of their home clubs can't get tickets for all RL games.

2. The list is issued to all official club travel partners and companies who are known to provide match day travel to help prevent travel being accessible to people who have banned from clubs.

3. The clubs need to liaise with their refreshment sellers to emphasise that they challenge people who are blatantly underaged or drunk. (I.E. If a person looks underaged, they can only get alcohol if they have an I.D.)

Yes, it's a bit Draconian but if this isn't tackled, families are going to be put off attending games and as we have one of the oldest supporter bases in SL, we need younger supporters and families to keep the level of support that we currently enjoy.
Susi

Post by Susi »

Years ago we used to travel on mayfair to aways, my daughter n her friends did, and yes some did have a couple of cans, but they did not behave like that.
Then if any got out of hand the driver would refuse them back on and again some of the adults would put them in their place.
These days they are allowed to do wat they like because people are reluctant to do anything due to reprisals.
imo if they are caught taking alcohol on the coach then they should be left behind, i also think it a good idea to put the bags in storage, but this will cause people to moan cos they can't have genuine pop coffee or food.
Something does need to be done before it ruins our rep and other clubs too.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Maybe it would be benefitial for the club to liaise with coach companies to encourage them to enforce a no alcohol policy.

In turn coach companies could state that food & drink is taken on in clear carrier bags, thus making it easier for the driver to check before he departs.

It may be seen as punishing the majority, but I'd sooner that than our clubs name dragged through the dirt by a minority who simply can't handle their ale.

Also, as has been suggested before anyone drunk should be banned from travelling even if it is the return journey.
white elephant

Post by white elephant »

There were a few incidents on Friday night, some happened before and after the game. all were most likely brought on by to much alcohol. Myself and Big Mike sorted the first problem of the evening which involved Mike banning a young man off his trips, which i might add he has said before on this site that if anyone causes trouble on his trips they will be banned. Thanks mike for your help with that one!. the fighting started as we were loading the coaches up for the return trip home, when some of my passengers said that a fight had started on one of the Walton swift coaches, at that point we left. I hope the people who spoiled the evening realise that by acting in this manner you stand to give the Wigan club a very bad name, its the same old story just 1 or 2 people spoil it for the rest of us.
Can i also thank Nigel(coachmaster) for his help on friday also.

We get problems when we get alot of young fans together on a coach who are drinking too much. Problems on coach 3 from Mayfair ended up with the driver making a stop at the services, he stopped the coach near the police station and told them they would be getting thrown off the coach. the driver said to me back at the yard he wont be driving the rugby again as with many of the other drivers who have had to put up with this sort of trouble. we don't do stag dos because you get trouble and drivers wont do them, soon we wont be able to do rugby trips if this continues.

Efforts are made when the drivers are loading the coaches up to check young people for alcohol but sometimes it gets passed and is drunk on the coach. Many of our regulars bring a few cans onto the coaches but you would never know it because these responsible people drink it and take there empty cans off the coach with them, i wish everyone could do the same!!

Anyone who wishes to make an away journey with Mayfair/Grayways this year, if you cause trouble on the coaches you will be asked to get off the coach, banned and your details will be passed on to the Club and other travel companies.
WIGAN TILL I DIE

ste lord

Post by ste lord »

@ the end of the game my Mrs was hit on the back of the head/shoulder but a full unopened can of ale that was chucked from the behind us.

with regards to the trouble near the coaches when we were all coming back i was doing my best to break it up, but every time i turned round the same 1 numpty was back kicking off again, he was refused travel back home i believe.

We can all have a drink at the game and act correctly, just a shame the few clowns spoil it !!

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I dont think raising the drinking age really works, after all the type of people who get in states and conduct themselves poorly tend not to be the most law-abiding and im sure they would find a way to get booze.

Its a society problem and it comes from one thing and one thing only, there's no fear or consequence. The way the law is set up now and the ambulance chasing nature of this country means the police or any other authority figure are scared to death of doing anything other than giving stern words to someone.

Bring back the CANE! - although thankfully it wasn't around when i was at school :)
Prohibition doesn't work - look at the states in the 20/30s when prohibition was enforced alcohol consumption went up.

The only way to control this would be raising prices and in particular bringing in legal unit pricing to target the White Cider, Lambrini, Buckie the kids drink. I found it really depressing last summer when I took my daughter to swimming lessons at Hindley baths on Tuesday to see 20 strong gangs of 14 year old swigging their nights away on gut rotting rubbish at 6.00 at night. Where are the parents in this equation? If I'd gone home stinking of booze at 14 and on a school night as a kid there would have been hell to pay.

The cane. Shudder.
:eh: