Steve McNamara next England Coach

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
markill

Re: Steve McNamara next England Coach

Post by markill »

THE 18th Man wrote:what annoys me is some Aussie called Brian Smith is the mentor and performace advisor so why not maked him the coach if he is gonna tell McNamara what to do. come on RFL get your act together
i assume you know who brian smith is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Smith_(rugby_league)

he signed mcnamara as a player when at bradford i think...
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Is there really any point for a full time Coach? Sitting around RFL HQ all the time watching Super League for players, how many International fixtures are there in a normal year (not WC year) vs france in June, then 3 or 4 games at the Four Nations. Smith probably left cause he was getting bored, McNamara is a poor choice of Coach if you ask me but the poorest decision is to think that the England RL Coach should be a full time position.
Up The Mont!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

The full time role is supposedly so thecoach can be involved in developing RL more widely, and from grass roots up.
To me it is more of a chief Exec role a la Mick Hogan, with occasional coaching thrown in.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

i didnt know too much about him but it makes you wonder why he wasnt given the job then
markill

Post by markill »

THE 18th Man wrote:i didnt know too much about him but it makes you wonder why he wasnt given the job then
i can't get round to considering that point yet, my mind still boggles as to why mcnamara was even on the shortlist really
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

This feels like the girl you fancied at school after 4 years choosing the guy in the year with 3 brain cells instead of yourself :snea:

not that that happened of course

stupid decision.

weren't we meant to be having a 'full time' coach to help us win something? that soon went out of the window, into a passing mobile skip and buried in landfill only waiting to return to earth once plate tectonics have rgeurigated a molten form in millions of year.... *sigh*
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mikey800

Post by Mikey800 »

It's a poor appointment, lacking in vision or any sense.It seems that the RFL have gone with the easy choice.

Look what has happened to us when we appointed a forward thinking coach who has ideas. I cant see the talents such as the Tompkins brothers etc being allowed to florish in a side coached by Brian Noble mark 2.

This appointment will set the game back 10 years.
"Well, it seemed like a good idea" he said, as the paramedics slowly lifted him into the waiting ambulance
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I agree with most of what has been said and am certain that SM is a poor appointment however as no top Aussie would want the job who else is there?.Betts hardly any experience,Kear and Noble been there and Brian Mcdermott at the foot of the table.Still as we have only a handful of world class players it makes little difference,we are and will remain 2nd best for the forseeable future
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

markill wrote:the only people who can be happy about this are bradford fans really!

what odds McDermott to be Bradford coach next year then?
Very bad news if true.
Would rather have McDermott at GB than McNamarra.
As people say, the Bulls fans will be smiling.