Great news Sam Joel and Lockers but is it

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dobby

Re: Great news Sam Joel and Lockers but is it

Post by Dobby »

GeoffN wrote:
jackoh wrote:Dave there is a difference here , the origin games in Oz are midweek not the day before a game .

This gives the players a two or three day break prior to their next match , the fact that our international is the day before makes our players unavailable to play .

This game or the 2 points at stake could be invaluable come too the end of the season A postponement would also allow our injured players an extra week to recover .

In my opinion a very poor decision by the club .
The majority of players backed up the day after the ANZAC test.
They often do in Australia. It is amazing how they can do it though, even just playing amateur I could barely move for 2 days afterwards :lol:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We used to play 2 or more games a week regularly in th'olden days. The players were not as fit and travel to places like hull, after work must have taken it out on many. They didn't moan as they would play for food on the table/ winning pay.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

jackoh wrote:This game or the 2 points at stake could be invaluable come too the end of the season A postponement would also allow our injured players an extra week to recover .

In my opinion a very poor decision by the club .
It is not the club who decide it is the RFL, Wigan could request a postponement but it is more than likely the RFL would refuse.

If the RFL let Wigan postpone their game because of players on international duty they would have to do the same for every other club with a player on international duty and then also find time in the season to replay the games.
GeoffN

Re: what do people think the team will be on sunday with sam joel+lockers out

Post by GeoffN »

maccawigan wrote:just thinking wat team people would play with them 3 out
I think they'll play, injuries permitting.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Wigan head coach Michael Maguire has said he will consider England trio for Warriors' game at Wakefield...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 726379.stm
stjudes02

Maguire to consider.................

Post by stjudes02 »

Wigan head coach Michael Maguire has said he will consider England trio for Warriors' game at Wakefield.

Sean O'Loughlin, Sam Tomkins and Joel Tomkins are in the England squad to face France at Leigh on Saturday, 24 hours before the Wildcats encounter.

Maguire told BBC Radio Manchester: "I'll look at all scenarios and how the players pull up and how they feel.

"I'll have a real good chat with the three boys. If we feel it's the right thing to do that's what we'll do."

He added: "We'll make that assessment after the England game.

"There's a lot of differing opinions on this issue but, from what I have seen back in Australia - and I have worked with a lot of great players in Melbourne - they never really had any issue with it (playing games close together).

"They obviously realise there's a big load on them but they actually went out and performed very well the day after or whatever, two days later.

"So, at the end of the day, there is a lot of football being played and it is taxing on the boys but I'm sure, for this one instance, they'll all get through."

stjudes02

Re: Maguire to consider.................

Post by stjudes02 »

What do you think of our star men playing two games in 24 hours ? ?
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I am all for it. I would imagine none of them will play the full 80 against the froggies with it being that - a friendly. Used to play upto 4 matches a week in the olden days
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

I would expect Sam to Play a full 80.

it may be a friendly but there is still a 19 man squad. there will still be 17 players so some players will have to play a full 80.

Sinfield and Maguire may pull out of the squad which means there is more pressure to play Tomkins and Lockers.

No estmond or myler.

Tomkins and Brown at 7 and 6!
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

yeah im up for it aswell. didnt we play 7 games in 14 days once. i think it was in the early 90's