Grow a pair folks

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
RJ

Re: Grow a pair folks

Post by RJ »

I don't have a problem with staying loyal but I do think that I am entitled to comment on a team that is currently under performing. I believe we have enough talent to do aa damn sight better than that.
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Correct RJ :eusa2: :eusa2:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Never deny that right RJ but fans have to exercise perspective when doing so otherwise we come across as fickle and hysterical at the first sign of something going wrong.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

cpwigan wrote:
One thing to say though - I've been watching rugby long enough to know that one trophy doesn't equal class. We've only only seen one truly class side in the last couple of seasons at Wigan, and they flew home with the World Club Challenge trophy.
I am not going to get into a debate but that statementhe bit in bold is so wrong it beggars belief[/u]
As you yourself stated earlier, many of the posts on here tonight are OTT.
In my opinion to say that we are a permanently classy side is OTT.
With all our players back and the new blood settled in, I have no doubt we can do even better than last year, however we are very much work in progress.
As someone else stated in another thread; Class is a word that is too easily bandied about.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Lots of class players in the Wigan RL squad and I have enjoyed some top class RL in the last 12 months or so.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

cpwigan wrote:Lots of class players in the Wigan RL squad and I have enjoyed some top class RL in the last 12 months or so.
I think this is where we are disagreeing.
True, there are a lot of class players in the squad, but does this make us a truly class team?
As I said we are work in progress at the moment, and with events of the last few weeks I think Madge is further away from knowing his best 17 now than he was at the beginning of the season.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hard to say what team means in RL Shaun. Personally, I think defence constantly requires a team approach and on that basis you would have to say Wigan are a class team. Attack can often rely on single players and so forth. One of the biggest difference for me between Aus and us has been the team element with ball in hand.

Plenty of evidence of a class team IMO over the last 12 months. Wigan will get better and can get better.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Shaun1967 wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Lots of class players in the Wigan RL squad and I have enjoyed some top class RL in the last 12 months or so.
I think this is where we are disagreeing.
True, there are a lot of class players in the squad, but does this make us a truly class team?
As I said we are work in progress at the moment, and with events of the last few weeks I think Madge is further away from knowing his best 17 now than he was at the beginning of the season.
Not sure I'd go that far but even after the first try, I thought we would miss Charnley for his kicking. Amos on the wing did not change that opinion!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I know its hard to believe but I agree with CP :)

A point worth noting is that our injury situation has been horrendous and look where we are in the league we've not specially played well but things will improve. We've played Saints, Wire, Leeds and Huddersfield so its not that we've had easy games yet we're still in a strong position. Look what happened to Leeds last year when they had injuries and were making excuses left right and centre and losing games while they were doing it. We've lost to a very good Warrington side when I think we were hard done by and not played well tonight but ended up with a draw by showing a never say die attitude when we needed to. We'll learn more from tonights performance than we ever would from one like last weeks.

One of our problems has been one man rugby in our own half and inability to make yards. If anything I think we over compensated for this and went too far with flashy stuff in our own half but we'll get a balance and do the double. Mark my words!
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

gpartin wrote:One of our problems has been one man rugby in our own half and inability to make yards. If anything I think we over compensated for this and went too far with flashy stuff in our own half but we'll get a balance and do the double. Mark my words!
This is the point I was making earlier about trying to play in all areas of the pitch.
We need to go back to basics and the majority of SL teams won't live with us.

WALLY LEWIS